Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
For anyone to go to another airline for comp upgrades, it's not going to happen.
Except AS, where F is generally priced so ridiculously high compared to Y that very few people seem to pay for it in comparison to AA/UA/DL, and it's often wide open for upgrades at the 75K (top tier elite) window.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There is no doubt in my mind that the Big 3 want to now monetize domestic upgrades likely with some type of co pay. It’s just a question of which airline does it first then they all can follow. The co pay like the cost of an AC membership may depend upon status.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:17 pm

Got the survey, told them 95% business travel, typically 1 route every other week, week here week there, repeat. Company pays, so all the would you use your money to do anything is a complete non-starter. Would I pay $600 for first instead of $700, of course not. The domestic first is laughable how bad it is on the flights I take all the time, I don't even bother to put in for the upgrades on the >500 segments as MCE is effectively the same thing, with the chance that someone is sitting right next to me. Given the scenario presented, I'd just buy 2 Y seats, have the extra space between me and the other person potentially in the row, and call it good. I think they fundamentally don't understand the reality of business travel. I get reimbursed for the Y seat, that's it, and that's been the rule at every company I've been at for more than 20 years.

Agree with the others that the survey really needed a none of the above on a lot more of the questions. Given the options presented, the answer is, how's a skype call sound, I'm not flying for that meeting.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
There is no doubt in my mind that the Big 3 want to now monetize domestic upgrades likely with some type of co pay. It’s just a question of which airline does it first then they all can follow. The co pay like the cost of an AC membership may depend upon status.
They could do what VX used to do (and, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of this in the future)... the "elite upgrade window" wasn't a complimentary upgrade window, it was a paid upgrade window. Golds got first crack at buying the upgrade at T-24h, Silvers were next at T-12h, and then non-status passengers could buy whatever was left. This method was certainly more elite-friendly than simply allowing anyone to buy a "TOD" upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
GLD coach ticket $300, first class ticket $700, would you feel satisfied with offer to purchase first for $600.
Throw PE on domestic flights and I'd pay for it on domestic 3+ hours for leisure and lie flats for business. Not sure where you stick it on a 737 Max but, hey, Parker can fit in 30 inch pitch seats so figure it out. Maybe for the 797s if they actually show their faces?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Anybody else get the survey?

Got a survey about the AA mileage program thing. Asked if I'd rather have two system wide upgrades that I could actually use versus the six sitting in my account that I can never use.

Asked about out unlimited domestic upgrades (worthless to me) and whether & how much I'd pay for a crappy domestic upgrade (never/zero).

Anybody else?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
Got a survey about the AA mileage program thing. Asked if I'd rather have two system wide upgrades that I could actually use versus the six sitting in my account that I can never use.

Asked about out unlimited domestic upgrades (worthless to me) and whether & how much I'd pay for a crappy domestic upgrade (never/zero).

Anybody else?
just a few threads down...!!!!!

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Asked about out unlimited domestic upgrades (worthless to me)
1) see other thread
2) anyone who doesn't value upgrades please do something other than respond to the survey
aacar likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think AA has forgotten about me.. no email yet..
prw555 and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: DL-Plat
I’m DFW based EXP and I didn’t get the survey. I’ll be curious to see how they roll this out, and what they’re going to package it with to call it an “enhancement” to the elite program. The timing will also be interesting. If they roll this out and make it effective for 2019, there will be a lot of angry elites who have requalified based on current benefits. If they make it effective for 2020, giving elites a year to vote with their feet, they’re effectively daring their customers to switch, which is a terrible idea. A lot of people will do it just to spite AA and show their anger over the changes, even if UA/DL don’t give them anything more.

Whatever used to work about upgrades on AA is now broken. I rarely clear upgrades anymore as an EXP, so it must now be impossible for Plats and Plat Pros to clear (at least out of DFW).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
1) see other thread
2) anyone who doesn't value upgrades please do something other than respond to the survey
I don't get it. Domestic upgrades are worthless to me because they don't apply to the transcontinental routes I fly. SWUs that don't clear at booking are equally worthless to me. The SWUs I can use on transcontinental often have a negative value (because C costs more than F).

Why shouldn't I respond to the survey? How does saying that negatively impact anyone?

Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by JohnFortWorth
Whatever used to work about upgrades on AA is now broken. I rarely clear upgrades anymore as an EXP, so it must now be impossible for Plats and Plat Pros to clear (at least out of DFW).
I fly through DFW every couple of weeks as PLT to or from AUS. Twice already this year, I've been upgraded. Once on a Sunday evening, once on a Saturday morning. I've been as low as 67th on the upgrade list as recent as last fall on this segment. So yes, something changed, I never expected to clear a single DFW AUS upgrade.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

I don't get it. Domestic upgrades are worthless to me because they don't apply to the transcontinental routes I fly. SWUs that don't clear at booking are equally worthless to me. The SWUs I can use on transcontinental often have a negative value (because C costs more than F).

Why shouldn't I respond to the survey? How does saying that negatively impact anyone?

Why would upgrades not apply to transcons? Did I miss something? I now live in the DFW area. so no recent opportunities for transcon, but I don't remember them not being eligible for 500 miles "stickers"

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 25, 2018 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Going against the grain here.......the number of upgrades handed out on AA reduces my ability as a paid Domestic F flyer to standby on earlier services and retaining my F seat. Therefore, if the number of upgrades handed out are reduced, I would actually be quite happy.

Fully expecting to get shot down in flames
Well, I do think that upgrades should be processed AFTER F Standbys are accommodated
rossmacd and prw555 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
I feel like an outcast, no survey for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.