Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:33 am

I received the survey as a GOLD. Had a free form comment section at the end of the survey, to comment on American airlines in General and/or the AA upgrade program
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I share skepticism of others on this board; but if this ends up being a choice thing a la Delta - ie instead of getting 4 SWUs you could get 2 to confirm at any seat; etc; I think it could at least be interesting and might even be a smart move by AA to make the program more flexible. I get tons of value from the SWUs - hence why I go for the 8 every year; but some people just don't - they don't like rolling the dice (confirmable space is basically gone - I still am 100% on 6 SWU tries this year and have only missed 1 in 3 years as an EXP), they don't really fly internationally, they fly paid J, etc. These people could get use from fee free changes or a set of upgrades they definitively could use on tough routes.

I don't think AA can cut upgrade benefits outright and expect to be competitive and they don't have the commanding network of say a United. Very easy for lots of non DFW, non PHX, non CLT fliers to choose other markets, including their golden goose LAX. The TOD upgrade thing is the only thing they can pull that would be consistent with their competitors, and I think we all know some form of this is coming.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nothing good coming from this survey. Ugggh...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've gone from being a multi-year EXP to a BA Silver/LT Gold, largely for two reasons:

1. The ridiculously small MCE cabins compared to DL
2. Sorting by MQD for upgrades as opposed to purchase date, which cut my upgrade percentage as an EXP from 80% to 30%.

I was originally going to float down to PLT, and then I realized that if I was going to have to buy e500s that were never going to clear, I may as well just buy F when the price is reasonable. So I didn't need to be PLT any more, I could just buy up to MCE when needed.

Then I realized that if I concentrated my buying up to F at the beginning of this year and picked off four BA/IB segments on my April vacation to Europe, that I could be BA Silver and save the MCE costs, save the AC cost from the credit card, and get Flagship Lounge access when I'm in ORD/LAX (don't care about the other hubs). And fly AA only when it's the best choice. I qualified on cheap first on DCA-CLT-ORD, ORD-DFW-AUS, DCA-PHL-ORD, ORD-DCA-CLT-MIA, and a last minute ORD-DCA-ORD day trip, and then a bunch of coach flights where I bought up to MCE at full cost instead of the 50% Gold discount. And moving from main cabin to MCE or F was completely funded out of what would have been my AC fees for 2018 and 2019.

So now I'm diversified between BA, DL (Gold, soon to be Platinum), and WN. If AA wants to make MCE a booking category and exclude it from OWS at ticketing, then AA compares unfavorably with WN on short-haul, and about the same with United C+ on ORD-west coast. So even less money for AA.

I really don't get their strategy here.
zarkov505 and AA100k like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Did not receive the survey. Hmm.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:45 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Going against the grain here.......the number of upgrades handed out on AA reduces my ability as a paid Domestic F flyer to standby on earlier services and retaining my F seat. Therefore, if the number of upgrades handed out are reduced, I would actually be quite happy.

Fully expecting to get shot down in flames
No flames. This is the reality, and what DL completed a year or so ago. The more generous you are giving F seats away (even if it is what we all want), the less revenue you get out of them. Once you are done "optimizing" the back of the plane (7M8), it is time to go after the front. Anecdotally and not scientifically, I believe there is more F availability to buy on DL than AA. However, I would point out that the "price" is generally smaller F pitch, generally smaller seat width, and more E175's.

If you want to extrapolate further, in Europe people regularly pay to simply not have a middle seatmate - we call it business class. I do think USA is different for many reasons, but expect the inevitable convergence.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA100k
Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nothing good coming from this survey. Ugggh...
Keep in mind, surveys like this-- even scarier than this-- go out constantly.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by donotblink
As an NYC based AA flyer, I think maybe I'll just status match to Delta once these get announced.
Same...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
So now switching to DL and hoping the (upgrade) line is shorter, great!

*this is how I always line up at the wrong line at my grocery.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
When people say they are "leaving!" due to potentially losing upgrades I have to chuckle. The old days are gone, it's all about revenue and CPU's/etc are a loss leader to AA, DL, and UA. For anyone to go to another airline for comp upgrades, it's not going to happen.

What matters to me is good award alliance, and as a EXP, SWU availability and redeem-ability. Also up there at the top is getting good coach seats (exit row or bulk head). AA's SDC is so bad it's insulting but that being said the three must have's for me at least are above.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD

I have similar thoughts as an ORD flyer. I’ve always chosen AA in the past because of SWUs and domestic upgrades. If AA’s system is just like UA’s then there will be no reason to stay. UA has better award availability using miles and better partners to fly where I want to go.
That is a very good point. The vast majority of my flying these days is discretionary: vacation trips to Thailand. Switching to UA would mean I get to ride TG metal, and TG, like JL and CX, takes good care of their customers.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I like the current system ... AA's last changes drove my behavior. Since I'm at $25k eqd for 2018 ytd (so I'm guessing my annualized spend is $35k or so) and don't live in an AA hub, I'm almost always at the top of this list. This contrasts to before the changes where I would be further down the list because I buy a lot at the last minute.

But ... I've been a bit disloyal the past few weeks since I'm well past requalifying and have been trying Delta and Alaska first which are often just 50-75 more than a coach ticket. Alaska is certainly better than Delta for shorter flights -- haven't decided which of the three are better however for longer flights. This could drive me toward Alaska although that means a lot of heading to the west coast and back.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
GLD coach ticket $300, first class ticket $700, would you feel satisfied with offer to purchase first for $600.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:59 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
In a way, some of us do pay TOD to upgrade when we run out of our 500 mile certs. Especially Golds and Plats who may not travel super often to pass the thresholds where more are added to the balance. Granted, a <1500 mile flight can be upgraded for $120 or less each way, but it's definitely a revenue stream that they consider in the upgrade model.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Got the survey as a PLAT (likely dropping to Gold next year). Seemed to focus a lot on asking if I'd be willing to pay more to be upgraded on leisure travel.

Really, MCE is the only tangible benefit for me given my travel patterns, and looks like I won't make PLAT next year, so that will go away as well. I agree - the days of upgrades for all but the highest levels are pretty much done for. I just wish I could use the 500 mile stickers for something.

In the free-form comments section at the end I stated that the upgrade experience is abysmal as a PLAT - either I am #20 on the list or I am in Y with empties up front because I don't want to burn TWO stickers for a 620 mile flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.