Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia (PHL) Flagship Lounge (delayed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philadelphia (PHL) Flagship Lounge (delayed)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
I picked today... didn't see anywhere close to 17 in PHL.

But, again, JFK, you need to include the transcons and SA flights and the partner flights. (AA gets paid for them).
Combined, JFK is 3x + the volume.

Not saying PHL should not get one, but if I were AA, I would be looking to lock up the 20+ CLT gates coming online and building a FL there. (Mostly because of feeder traffic and weather.)
If/when that happens, I can see PHL being deemphasized.

PHL is getting one and that is the right choice. At least for now.
It’s summer season - so several new TATL destinations are gearing up (including the launch of NCE today) so it’s quite a few more flights than your number. And the point about transcons is you can’t run a premium route without a premium lounge. So we’ll see what happens.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
And in terms of actual capacity, PHL probably doesn't carry that many more TATL customers than either DFW or JFK (77W/772/789 pax seat counts versus the 788). And those 2 other hubs have additional longhaul flights outside of the TATL market.
FWIW, there are several PHL TATL that are on the 789 - NCE, FCO, LHR x2, DOH, CPH - I’m probably missing a few others as well.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
It’s summer season - so several new TATL destinations are gearing up (including the launch of NCE today) so it’s quite a few more flights than your number. And the point about transcons is you can’t run a premium route without a premium lounge. So we’ll see what happens.
Fair point. I avoid PHL on international because there is no FL lounge.

That being said, I doubt AA will add (significant) transcon premium traffic to PHL because of JFK. But I could easily be proven wrong.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Fair point. I avoid PHL on international because there is no FL lounge.

That being said, I doubt AA will add (significant) transcon premium traffic to PHL because of JFK. But I could easily be proven wrong.
To be fair, I often do as well and I live in Center City. A huge % of my TATL flights - especially for leisure/holiday - I take my time and train or Uber up to EWR and fly United to have a much nicer lounge/ground experience. I have an upcoming PHL->FCO flight and I'm hoping (it's a long shot) I can use the BA Galleries lounge just to switch it up from the Centurion.

In terms of premium transcon - I could see when the new TATL equipped XLRs come online soon there could be a good use for LAX -> PHL -> [insert mid-size euro market here] runs. Plus, add in some of the older 321Ts as they get cycled out of JFK only runs and you might have a decent base of narrow-body, lie-flat equipped planes for the 10 or so LAX/SFO flights per day to offer as a more premium trans-con experience. I can't believe Comcast alone can't make this happen lol.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I hate to be so pessimistic, but AA has zero competition at PHL. I don't see AA ever investing in a meaningful premium experience.
* Domestic transcons - from SFO, UA runs a single red eye, no competition from LAX. I don't see AA ever flying flatbeds from PHL unless it's to serve their positioning convenience as stated above, but it'll likely be shoulder season flying (case study: the occasional LAX-MIA widebody)
* International - Lufthansa runs 1x to FRA. I guess you have EI to DUB. That's it. Not even AF flies to CDG. There is more of a case I think to invest in international as there must be bleed to EWR

Personally I've always been so surprised to see PHL so under-served internally given its size. Why didn't AA give the new HND frequency to PHL (or even CLT), where there are ZERO flights to Asia? I would think that could deliver more than another JFK frequency
sushanna1 and MASTERNC like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
To be fair, I often do as well and I live in Center City. A huge % of my TATL flights - especially for leisure/holiday - I take my time and train or Uber up to EWR and fly United to have a much nicer lounge/ground experience. I have an upcoming PHL->FCO flight and I'm hoping (it's a long shot) I can use the BA Galleries lounge just to switch it up from the Centurion.

In terms of premium transcon - I could see when the new TATL equipped XLRs come online soon there could be a good use for LAX -> PHL -> [insert mid-size euro market here] runs. Plus, add in some of the older 321Ts as they get cycled out of JFK only runs and you might have a decent base of narrow-body, lie-flat equipped planes for the 10 or so LAX/SFO flights per day to offer as a more premium trans-con experience. I can't believe Comcast alone can't make this happen lol.
I'm just not seeing premium transcons from PHL, ever. PHL is the NE connecting hub and the A321XLR's will not have enough Y seats to effectively serve the connecting traffic.
Global321 and LovePrunes like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I don't think that the 321XLR is cost-effective to run on the LAX-PHL route. I would guess that most of the LAX-Europe traffic in purchased-J would prefer to take one of the 5 or 6 daily flights to LHR and connect onto a short BA flight in CE. I know I would. Plus, there's also the option to take the IB and AY flights via MAD and HEL, respectively. Moreover, LAX passengers have the option of connecting en route stateside via JFK/DFW/ORD/CLT. However, I believe that AA sometimes has a 788 on LAX-PHL. But I think that is more of a positioning flight than a marketing one.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I hate to be so pessimistic, but AA has zero competition at PHL. I don't see AA ever investing in a meaningful premium experience.
* Domestic transcons - from SFO, UA runs a single red eye, no competition from LAX. I don't see AA ever flying flatbeds from PHL unless it's to serve their positioning convenience as stated above, but it'll likely be shoulder season flying (case study: the occasional LAX-MIA widebody)
* International - Lufthansa runs 1x to FRA. I guess you have EI to DUB. That's it. Not even AF flies to CDG. There is more of a case I think to invest in international as there must be bleed to EWR

Personally I've always been so surprised to see PHL so under-served internally given its size. Why didn't AA give the new HND frequency to PHL (or even CLT), where there are ZERO flights to Asia? I would think that could deliver more than another JFK frequency
For OandD maybe - but like I said I live 10 minutes from the airport and I travel over an hour up to EWR for the more premium experience - so they are losing a lot of my business and I’m not alone.

And for connecting pax if you have the option of going to say, CDG, via EWR and United or AA and PHL —> discerning free agents will choose the former to enjoy the more premium experience.

And just a reminder, the Flagship Longe IS under construction so AA clearly understands that a more premium experience is needed at PHL… just not for another year or so…
Old May 9, 2024, 9:42 am

And just a reminder, the Flagship Longe IS under construction so AA clearly understands that a more premium experience is needed at PHL… just not for another year or so…
to be fair, it has said "COMING SOON" on the flagship lounge locations list for several YEARS.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

I would say it was confirmed long ago they STARTED something in PHL... but to say it's confirmed to be CURRENTLY "under construction" is a bit of a stretch without more info.
AA has been like crickets for this. It'd be more believable if there were reports or photos of actual construction currently underway.
Would love to get confirmation what you wrote is true, beyond "coming soon" so if you have info or photos, please share!
Old May 9, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
For OandD maybe - but like I said I live 10 minutes from the airport and I travel over an hour up to EWR for the more premium experience - so they are losing a lot of my business and I’m not alone.
It's truly a sad (and telling) state of affairs when EWR is a more premium experience than PHL.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
to be fair, it has said "COMING SOON" on the flagship lounge locations list for several YEARS.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

I would say it was confirmed long ago they STARTED something in PHL... but to say it's confirmed to be CURRENTLY "under construction" is a bit of a stretch without more info.
AA has been like crickets for this. It'd be more believable if there were reports or photos of actual construction currently underway.
Would love to get confirmation what you wrote is true, beyond "coming soon" so if you have info or photos, please share!
FWIW posters on Airliners . Net have pictures of the lounge under construction and AA has confirmed on twitter. There are a lot of sources sayings it a full go now.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
It's truly a sad (and telling) state of affairs when EWR is a more premium experience than PHL.
Talking purely Polaris Lounge and frankly the new UC is pretty slick. As well as guaranteed lie-flats and a pretty decent experience on their premium transcons on my most visited route to LAX. Sitting in the AA Oasis 321s upfront vs. 787-10 is not quite the same experience.

Last edited by PHLondoner; May 9, 2024 at 9:06 pm
Old May 9, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by lrdpenn

I think the argument is that the competition for AA at PHL is UA at EWR, not anything else at PHL.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by steveholt
I think the argument is that the competition for AA at PHL is UA at EWR, not anything else at PHL.
This is 100% correct, and AA is totally missing the boat on this, both for a premium experience and just reasonable pricing of nonstop flights. It’s like AA believes that EWR is not a reasonable alternative for like 70% of PHL o/d traffic.
PHLondoner likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
This is 100% correct, and AA is totally missing the boat on this, both for a premium experience and just reasonable pricing of nonstop flights. It’s like AA believes that EWR is not a reasonable alternative for like 70% of PHL o/d traffic.
Yep and they’re crazy.

I fly to LAX probably 6-8 times a year - mostly up front. I live in Center City so it’s a true Franklin Test of positives v. Negavites. At EWR - on this route I’m guaranteed a lie flat seat, premium transcon amenities like bedding, generally upgraded service; plus, on the ground i get complimentary lounge access to the brand new UC clubs. This requires an hour train trip or an hour and 15 minute Uber ride.

On the flip side, at PHL, I’m guaranteed a terrible Oasis 321 product without lie flats, or IFEs, or charm, or bedding, or any premium experience additives. Plus, i don’t even get access to a terrible B/C or A East Admirals Club. To have this much worse experience for me is a 20 minute train ride or a 15 minute Uber ride.

The fact that I’m choosing EWR and UA more and more (and, again, I’m not alone) should be a real concern for them. I know PHL is a crazy high yield for AA due to lack of competition so maybe they just don’t GAF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.