Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia (PHL) Flagship Lounge (delayed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT

That is what I was told by an Admirals Club agent on Friday!!! Anyone else hearing this? Sad if true!!!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
In May an Admirals Club Agent told me that there was a rent issue that was holding things up and he didn’t know the new opening date. This is bad news if it’s delayed for two years.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:31 pm

Well I did some digging. The problem has something to do with the fact that A-West is located in Delaware County, while the remainder of the airport is in Philadelphia City/County, (which is a fact). AA is working to resolve the issues, which is also delaying other planned A-West Lounge upgrades. Anyone have any idea what the County reason could be? I wouldn't be surprised if it's being held up by the "very considerate and understanding" Philly construction Unions. Confirming what was mentioned in the above 2nd post, AA corporate simply said there is no new start date - NOT THAT IT WAS BEING DELAYED UNTIL 2020 - as indicated in the Thread Title.

Last edited by perseus11; Jul 24, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:41 pm

Disappointing, especially given all the space they have. Luckily American Express didn't seem to have any issues with building the new Centurion Lounge.
jhartvu and Traveler_boy_25 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by mountain flyer
Disappointing, especially given all the space they have. Luckily American Express didn't seem to have any issues with building the new Centurion Lounge.

I haven't been to the Centurion but I walk by it. DO you find it odd that people can see into the lounge? The AC in A West is up and out of the way, kind of defining what the lounge ideal should be (an oasis from the standard travel BS). The BA/Qatar and Centurion lounges just don't look that way to me. Perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I haven't been to the Centurion but I walk by it. DO you find it odd that people can see into the lounge? The AC in A West is up and out of the way, kind of defining what the lounge ideal should be (an oasis from the standard travel BS). The BA/Qatar and Centurion lounges just don't look that way to me. Perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture?
I sort of like that they can look in. I want them to see what they're missing.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
Well I did some digging. The problem has something to do with the fact that A-West is located in Delaware County, while the remainder of the airport is in Philadelphia City/County, (which is a fact). AA is working to resolve the issues, which is also delaying other planned A-West Lounge upgrades. Anyone have any idea what the County reason could be?
Potentially alcohol-related? Splitting the AC into an AC and Flagship Lounge with different access rules for each section could make it require a 2nd liquor license, which are capped at a per county level.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Potentially alcohol-related? Splitting the AC into an AC and Flagship Lounge with different access rules for each section could make it require a 2nd liquor license, which are capped at a per county level.

That's a valid point but not enough to delay construction. The county's approval wouldn't be predicated on a liquor license. The longer the delay the higher the costs of material & labor will eventually be. Those never seem to go down. Liquor licenses on the market come and go.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

DFW is located in four cities and two counties, yet somehow it's building several new lounges, albeit slowly.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
DFW is located in four cities and two counties, yet somehow it's building several new lounges, albeit slowly.
Obviously you're not familiar with the NYC/PHL union and political machines.
thunderlounge and Flight44 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by perseus11
Obviously you're not familiar with the NYC/PHL union and political machines.
I lived in Pennsylvania for a decade and have a good understanding of union and political machines. If the "right" people want something to be built, it can be built very quickly.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I lived in Pennsylvania for a decade and have a good understanding of union and political machines. If the "right" people want something to be built, it can be built very quickly.
Philadelphia is union wise and politically, NOT Pennsylvania. Obviously, "If the "right" people want something to be built, it can be built very quickly".

Last edited by perseus11; Jul 25, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have updates on when the new FL will open in PHL?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Does anyone have updates on when the new FL will open in PHL?
Was just poking around for the same information - heading into Q4 of '19 soon and this thing is supposed to be open sometime in 2020? I just shot an email to both American and PHL inquiring about an update - we'll see if they report back with anything.
cedric and scoonee like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I was in last Saturday and asked the AAngels. They told me that construction is TENTATIVELY starting end of September. The latest holdup has been with CPB as the club is directly over Immigration.
PHLondoner and AA100k like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.