Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost Frozen Fish - Alaska Airlines, last flight AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Frozen Fish - Alaska Airlines, last flight AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Great Alaska Seafood quotes $2715.75 for 85 lbs of halibut delivered. That will be my claim amount. Still don't understand how I have an Alaska Air ticket, paid Alaska air for baggage, and Alaska Air luggage rules applied for weight, content, price, handoff was missed form Alaska to Alaska flights, and I have to deal with American to resolve claim. Makes no sense at all.
The convention for luggage is that it is always the carrier responsible for the final leg who owns responsiblity for delivery. Thus, you deal with AA.

FYI, this is the compensation for lost baggage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention

The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
1,131 SDR is $1587 USD.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The convention for luggage is that it is always the carrier responsible for the final leg who owns responsiblity for delivery. Thus, you deal with AA.

FYI, this is the compensation for lost baggage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention

1,131 SDR is $1587 USD.
The Montreal Convention does not apply to domestic travel

For domestic travel, AS's limit of liability is $3500 as detailed at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ited-liability ( as long as the baggage is not excluded under its domestic baggage policy )
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:39 pm

You didn’t happen to put your ticket on a card that has lost luggage insurance, did you?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Wow, that stinks
Like 4-day old fish.

But really, what a bummer. At least he has Great Alaska Seafood as a backup!

It certainly makes sense that AA as the final carrier is responsible for the logistics of the delivery and handling the claim. How they sort that out with the carrier that caused the delay (when it's clear, in this case) is probably a function of the interline agreements and/or IATA regulations. I do certainly agree that OP should be subject only to the ticketing carriers policies though regarding checked baggage.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Fish was located in Chicago, put on the plane to RSW, and I wasnt called until boxes were found on the carousel in RSW by AA people clearing the leftover pieces. Fish thawed such that you could press 0.5 inches deep into a 2" thick piece of fish. It cannot be refrozen. Agent told me I had to take boxes or I would be charged for disposal. Took pics and video of fish bring opened. Dry ice bags were still in boxes but all gone. Going to file claim with AA. Once it reaches final resolution I will post outcome. I may have to launch a full blown social media campaign but I am not willing to accept that final carrier rules should apply. Thanks for the feedback, commiserating, and empathy.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Rather than start trying to attack where no grounds, perhaps it might be better to check what the rules on liability definitely are for domestic US travel

The final carrier is responsible for handling the finding of and delivery of the luggage, but it may be that , as for international travel, the carrier that caused the issue is liable

If it turns out that AA's rules apply, then not sure what point there would be to a campaign - unless it was to try and encourage change for the future
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Rather than start trying to attack where no grounds, perhaps it might be better to check what the rules on liability definitely are for domestic US travel

The final carrier is responsible for handling the finding of and delivery of the luggage, but it may be that , as for international travel, the carrier that caused the issue is liable

If it turns out that AA's rules apply, then not sure what point there would be to a campaign - unless it was to try and encourage change for the future
Because the rules obviously aren't the final say in the outcome of any particular case? This is a made-for-social media story involving pounds of pounds of fish, AA incompetence, and frustrating information black holes that everyone can sympathize with. Will the OP be successful? I have no idea. Neither do you. And the outcome isn't going to depend entirely on what AA's contract of carriage says.

Gosh, I understand that some people really love rules. But I don't understand the syndrome of posting as if the world in fact works the way you think it should.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:19 pm

Just want to say this is the most exciting thread I’ve read in a long time. Lots of play-by-play drama!

Sorry about your fish, OP. Just means it’s time to go back and do it again...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Just want to say this is the most exciting thread I’ve read in a long time. Lots of play-by-play drama!

Sorry about your fish, OP. Just means it’s time to go back and do it again...
Yeah - I've been hooked since this thread started...
ijgordon and reeg2 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Unfortunately this is par for the course with baggage-- they just don't care. OP, I agree with the other posters who have said to pursue a claim with AA for the full amount of compensation. If AS is actually liable AA should be the ones to work it out with them as they were the last carrier and did not deliver.
Loren Pechtel and g8trgr8t like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Plain and simple, OP's contract is with AS and therefore the AS baggage rules apply. However, it is AA, as the last delivering carrier, which is responsible for locating, delivering, and compensating in the case of loss or damage. AA may choose to try to collect from AS, but that is between AA and AS. The passenger has one single point-of-contact, e.g. the last delivering carrier.

While all of this seems exciting, it really is a fairly routine matter of a lost or delayed bag. The only timeliness issue has to do with the nature of the contents. This was not a missing organ for transplant or somesuch.

AA may very well pay out at the fair market value of the fish at its point of shipment, e.g. ANC and simply collect from AS. AS accepts fish as a passenger baggage item as a cost of doing business, likely because it ultimately makes more money from attracting fishing tourism than it loses from paying other carriers for the eventual loss of an item here and there.

When OP files his claim with AA, I would make this short and to the point. If a CSR can review and OK this based on a plain English claim written in 2-3 short sentences, all the better. If this is turned into a tirade about why commercial aviation in the US does not revolve around tracking frozen passenger luggage, this will wind up somewhere else getting little or no attention.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:14 am

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Customer Relations

Our Customer Relations department is dedicated to addressing customer comments and unresolved concerns. The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days. Customer Relations can be reached at:

U.S. Mail/Overnight Mail American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2300

Email AA Customer Relations Opens in a new window (link)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
3 lbs of dry ice each box. I do this every year and have shipped without dry ice before successfully but prefer to add some just in case of delays.

Alaska isn't responding, American says it was sent to Chicago on AA flight. Neither carrier will take responsibility for who sent it to Chicago. AA Chicago shows it being received there but cannot find it. RSW baggage doesn't have it. Boxes are made for shipping fish. Say Frozen fish on them, have a picture of a salmon on the outside of the box. My name, phone number, and final destination RSW is written on outside of both boxes in 2 places in black permanent marker
Maybe the ORD baggage handlers like Sushi.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
Because the rules obviously aren't the final say in the outcome of any particular case? This is a made-for-social media story involving pounds of pounds of fish, AA incompetence, and frustrating information black holes that everyone can sympathize with. Will the OP be successful? I have no idea. Neither do you. And the outcome isn't going to depend entirely on what AA's contract of carriage says.

Gosh, I understand that some people really love rules. But I don't understand the syndrome of posting as if the world in fact works the way you think it should.
+1
Because "check what the rules on liability definitely are for domestic US travel" doesn't even make any sense. Check with who? I'm not aware of any arbiter of potentially conflicting CoCs between two airlines.

I suppose OP should continue the path with AA per standard industry practice. Web complaint or Twitter. Then file a DOT complaint. Then pursue a case in small claims court if necessary. If AA convinces a judge it's not responsible, then file against AS. (Or maybe you can do both at the same time?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.