Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost Frozen Fish - Alaska Airlines, last flight AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Flew out of ANC on an Alaska Air reward ticket Tuesday 6 pm. Alaska Air to Seattle, Alaska Air to DFW, American Air to RSW.

Had two 50 lb insulated fish boxes full of fresh halibut with enough dry ice to insure 24 hour froze solid.

Fish did not make the connection in Seattle. Luggage did, cannot get reason why fish boxes did not.

Since American was final leg they took the claim but have absolutely bungled it. Alaska AIr indicated that they would store in freezer until transport out of Seattle but that was the policy and nobody could tell me where the product was being stored. Fish went to Chicago, arrive 1 pm and nobody can tell me anything else.

If the product spoils who will be responsible for the replacement cost? Am I entitled to replacement cost?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ited-liability

When traveling on a domestic itinerary, the maximum liability for your checked baggage is $3,500 (USD) per ticketed person.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...rriage/rule-15

b. Fragile and/or perishable items (for examples, see Paragraph d below) will be accepted as Checked Baggage in accordance with this Rule only if they are appropriately packaged in an original factory-sealed carton, cardboard mailing tube, or container or case designed for shipping such items or packed with protective internal material.

The classes of items listed below are deemed to be fragile or perishable or otherwise unsuitable as Checked Baggage and are subject to the conditions of acceptance set forth in paragraph b above.

Perishable Items: Floral and nursery stock such as flower, fruit, and vegetable plants, cut flowers and foliage, floral displays, and bulbs, foodstuffs (fresh and frozen) such as fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, cheese, poultry, bakery, dairy products, medicines, plants and foliage such as branches and blossoms of flowers, spices, fruits, and vegetables.
and

Release Advisory: Where Passengers elect to transport fragile items without appropriate packaging, Alaska will not be liable for damage to such items in Checked Baggage, where damage results solely from the unsuitability of such items as Checked Baggage and/or the inherent defect, quality or vice of the Checked Baggage, except for certain International Carriage of such fragile items subject to the terms of the Montreal Convention or Warsaw Convention, whichever may apply. Nor will Alaska be liable for spoilage or substantial loss of value or potency which results from delay in delivery of Checked Baggage when such spoilage results solely from the unsuitability of such items as Checked Baggage and/or the inherent defect, quality or vice of the Checked Baggage [...]
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hmmm, sounds fishy to me.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wow... best of luck in getting your fish reunited in a timely manner.

As AA was the last carrier you flew, they are responsible to get the fish to you.

Alaska does have freezers on site, as well as coolers in ANC and I imagine SEA. This is mostly for its cargo operations, but imagine in extenuating circumstances such as this, they'll put checked luggage in it as well.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
all well and good for SEA, but OP said the fish went to ORD (arrived 1300CDT)
:/

EDIT: AA flight status shows ORD-RSW left at 1525CDT arrived 1930EDT
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:13 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Hope it all works out, looks like you scored some good fishing, hopefully at a minimum some good pictures!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Got the pictures. Apparently the fish are still in Chicago but American does not know for sure since nobody in Chicago baggage owns a telephone or is responsible for answering one and baggage call center does not have any supervisors that know anyone at Chicago or anyone that could be sitting next to a phone they may or may not choose to answer. Edit to OP, I flew out on Monday. Fish were packaged in an appropriate box with correct amount of dry ice for 24 - 30 hours of transit time. Box clearly labeled as fish, Styrofoam inner cooler, dry ice declared and stamped on box.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP
damn! that sounds incredibly frustrating especially after a great fishing trip!

A few years back, my roommate at the time, flew back from alaska with 50lbs worth of salmon, halibut and king crab. The airline lost it for >24 hours before it was delivered. As the package had started to thaw we decided to throw a huge party and grill all that fish and crab! Bummer it didn't last longer but it was a helluva party.

Here's hoping your fish was stored properly and you are able to get in touch with someone who can help you.
hammie likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Shipped frozen fish in 2 - 50 lb insulated fish boxes left ANC on Alaska Air rewards flight Monday 6 pm, connect in SEA to Alaska Air flight to DFW, connect to American Air flight DFW to RSW. Packaged in boxes clearly labeled frozen fish with dry ice declared and posted on box. Fish didn't make connection in SEA, luggage did. 100 lbs of fresh caught halibut arrived in Chicago Tuesday afternoon. Today, Wednesday, American baggage service still cannot tell me exactly where the fish are or when they might arrive and nobody is in Chicago with a telephone. Who is responsible, what are my chances of recovering cost of lost product if fish arrive thawed out. Packaged, labeled, shipped with appropriate packaging to survive 30 - 36 hours. Anticipated travel time 18 hours.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Would you agree that since the ticket was issued by Alaskan Air, the baggage fee was collected by Alaska Air ($75 for 3rd bag), and the missed connection was between two Alaska Air flights that Alaska Air baggage rules should apply? American rules indicate that perishable goods are not covered under baggage claims from what I can tell.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Assuming that it was checked baggage rather than sent as freight

AA excludes liability for "Perishable items"
AS doesn't seem to have such an exclusion, but does exclude "items intended for sale"

You may be out of luck with a claim against the airlines
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's an Alaska ticket so I believe it's Alaska's responsibility.

Neil
ijgordon, g8trgr8t and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Moving to AA forum per OP's request, since while it's an AS ticket, AA is responsible as the final leg's carrier.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd be curious as to what "original factory-sealed carton" is for caught fish.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'd be curious as to what "original factory-sealed carton" is for caught fish.
it doesn't have to be; the entire line is

if they are appropriately packaged in an original factory-sealed carton, cardboard mailing tube, or container or case designed for shipping such items or packed with protective internal material

If the fish boxes are containers/cases designed for shipping fish, then the passenger has met the requirement
irishguy28, g8trgr8t and seigex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.