Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Which nonstop route(s) do you wish American would (re)start?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which nonstop route(s) do you wish American would (re)start?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Restart: ORD-HEL

Or even better, start MIA-HEL...or even PHL-HEL would do. Just something to HEL, please!
SK likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by bridge29
Regarding PHL-TLV.
I don't have any insider info as to whether this route was profitable.
But it seems like such a lucrative route for other airlines and LUS was certainly very proud of it. I'm surprised at AA's claim it wasn't profitable.
The reason as I understood it is that there was a fine that was disputed that US/AA never paid. So, it's kind of a CEO stupid vendetta against TLV.... Get over it, negotiate whatever it was and reinstate PHL-TLV!

Last edited by MarJon; Jun 20, 2018 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Why not just drive to Rhode Island directly? Everyone I know who goes to RI from NYC simply drives or takes the train (one exception -- a guy with a private plane in Teterboro). It would be similar to ask AA to start BDL-NYC. It just doesn't make sense, as most people simply drive there or take the 3-hour Amtrak. Connecting in NYC is asking for trouble, and there is limited OD demand for these short New England routings. It can take longer to get to the airport in NYC then to get halfway through Connecticut.
Agreed, it's sort of silly to fly O/D from NY to PVD. Though I do remember flying US on this route ~20 years ago to do some same-day recruiting events at Brown. I think they used SAABs. And it wasn't cheap then either. But I think this was before Acela and not sure if Amtrak was even electrified north of New Haven back then so train wasn't a great option.

I vote for LGA/JFK to PBI/FLL more seriously. MIA is a lot less desirable. I suppose with DL/B6/Spirit on these routes it's probably tough to make them profitable, but it's always been one of my major barriers to flying more with AA (and not just on those routes).
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

DFW-SGN which has been talked about for years.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:30 am
E55

DFW - LGB
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Restart the old CLT-HNL that US tried.

Safe Travels
Au4882 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Restart: ORD-HEL

Or even better, start MIA-HEL...or even PHL-HEL would do. Just something to HEL, please!
ORD-HEL on AA metal would be awesome, but I'll take the existing flight on AY metal with an AA codeshare over nothing at all.

I'd love a non-stop ORD-IAD route. My parents live out in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, and Dulles is the most convenient airport, but not if I want to fly on AA - then it's either DCA or BWI.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by E55
DFW - LGB
Yes - something more from LGB than PHX, which was reduced to fewer flights per day. DFW would be awesome.
E55 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: CK or bust
The key to the AA genie lamp that is this thread is ensure that you specify which aircraft you would want to serve your route (reasonably speaking).

It would be a sad day to get your desired route served by a 737 MAX.

Or this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Since AA's breakup with AS, these would be useful:
PDX-JFK
PDX-SFO
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:55 am
SK

Post Ubi sunt?

I remember there was much distress , almost a shock, here when AA cancelled BOS-SFO back in 2010, claiming mounting losses.
It was one of my most travelled AA flights, together with BOS-LHR, also gone (at least we have BA!).
Probably bridge29 is right - it won't come back until the current hub-only climate changes.

Originally Posted by DWFI
BOS-SFO
I believe the highest OD pair that AA doesn't service, and I can't believe I am the first to say it.
Shocking, frankly - I would think if they want contracts in BOS or SFO, they'd need to serve this route.
Would definitely be a loss leader though.
I respect all the people asking for more SFO and BOS flights, but it's not gonna happen. AA isn't interested in non-hub to spoke flights anymore. Maybe that will change, but with most of the biggest cities in the U.S. already covered, I don't see why it would any time soon.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by enpremiere
The key to the AA genie lamp that is this thread is ensure that you specify which aircraft you would want to serve your route (reasonably speaking).

It would be a sad day to get your desired route served by a 737 MAX.

Or this.
LIT-LHR/NRT/EZE/SYD/JNB as hourly shuttles on A380s, with the entire upper floor configured as 12 F suites, each with individual bedrooms and showers.

Downstairs, a lie-flat J, lean-flat Y+ with 55" pitch 8 across, and Y with 34" pitch 10 across.

Seems about as reasonable as everything else in the thread from FT EVPs of Network Planning.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:17 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by econometrics
How about: PHL-TLV, ORD-HEL, ORD-DME.
PHL-TLV was dropped well after the merger, citing "not profitable" for the entire 6 years it ran, including a quote by management that it had lost $20M in the last year of operation alone!
ORD-HEL not likely as long as OW partner AY flies the route (like they do ex-JFK)
ORD-DME AA ran this for a short period 10 years ago.

I would rather see them go JFK-LED. St. Petersburg (Russia) has seen a large increase in overall traffic over the years and there hasn't been a nonstop flight there from the US for at least 20 years, if not ever. There is also a huge NYC Russian population that would embrace it.
Delta dropped JFK-SVO last year so maybe Russia isn't a great market for US Airlines.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:21 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Regarding PHL-TLV.

I don't have any insider info as to whether this route was profitable.

But it seems like such a lucrative route for other airlines and LUS was certainly very proud of it. I'm surprised at AA's claim it wasn't profitable.
The route started as a LUS route and ended as an AA route - both under Doug Parker's management. AA management made statements that it was never profitable in its 6 years of operating. Why they kept it going is anyone's guess, other than prestige and trying new ways to improve the yields. Even the prestigious Concorde continued in the later years, despite losing money until BA and AF decided to put it out to pasture.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
PIT-Anywhere they used to fly before US de-hubbed them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.