Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
I was watching a really good FA sitting in the jump seat in Y, LAX to AUS a few weeks ago. The Samsung 5 tablet she was using to look at individuals in the manifest was very interesting, except upside down for me. Apparently some FAs still have these and can see the status of who is sitting where. I know it is also printed off, but I think few ever use the resources they have to know who is flying where. Fortunately she did and I benefited from it. Perhaps they will upgrade their hardware for the FAs.
I usually just order the snack and drink and the FA automatically sees the green seat color in the hand held device. Sometimes I have even had a FA go around and take snack orders for all EXP/CXs in advance so they get a choice if they are back - say in an exit row.

Also - if it is offered I always order the snack online in the reservation.
EdV and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:26 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I was in MCE last week and the FA charged the people in row 8 for drinks but she never even mentioned it when she served me. Are they sophisticated enough to know who actually was entitled to MCE as opposed to who was given seats there last minute because all the regular seats where full (meaning non elites and those who didn't pay for it)?
Old May 15, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Just as bad....the FA refused drink service in MCE on an A320 on a 45 minute flight (CLT-ATL). Came through with small water bottles and flat out refused to get anything additional. MCE on the 320 is only 6 seats.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MCI777
Just as bad....the FA refused drink service in MCE on an A320 on a 45 minute flight (CLT-ATL). Came through with small water bottles and flat out refused to get anything additional. MCE on the 320 is only 6 seats.
I believe flights under 250 miles that is the Y cabin service. They don't even open the carts so it's not like the FA can go into the back galley and get you a drink. If it was a turn back to CLT the flight may have not been catered for anything else in Y. I remember LAA when anything under 250 miles and there was no service.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I believe flights under 250 miles that is the Y cabin service. They don't even open the carts so it's not like the FA can go into the back galley and get you a drink. If it was a turn back to CLT the flight may have not been catered for anything else in Y. I remember LAA when anything under 250 miles and there was no service.
Interesting. Do they still sell MCE on flights under 250 miles to non-elites? Obviously not getting a drink isn't the end of the world. but it just seems inconsistent as on some flights on that route, I have received a drink in MCE, Guess I was just lucky.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
MCE on the 320 is only 6 seats.
MCE on the A320 is 18 seats, row 4/10/11
Old May 15, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
MCE on the A320 is 18 seats, row 4/10/11

Ahhhh, you're right. Exit Rows on AA are considered MCE. I was thinking of Delta. who does not consider all exit row seats as Comfort +.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Interesting. Do they still sell MCE on flights under 250 miles to non-elites? Obviously not getting a drink isn't the end of the world. but it just seems inconsistent as on some flights on that route, I have received a drink in MCE, Guess I was just lucky.
AA does but I'm assuming it's like wasting 2 stickers on a 505 mile flight (like TPA/CLT.) I'm assuming that if the load was light and the FAs were motivated enough they could bring out the carts.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've had three different scenarios play out when getting a free drink or food item:

1. Flight attendant proactively says thank you for being an EXP what may I get you?
2. Flight attendant asks me if I would like anything from the cart and brings it to me without asking for payment.
3. Flight attendant asks me if I would like anything from the cart and brings it to me and asks me for payment. I politely say "aren't they no charge for ex plats?".

The last scenario is rare. Usually it's #2 .
Old May 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA does but I'm assuming it's like wasting 2 stickers on a 505 mile flight (like TPA/CLT.) I'm assuming that if the load was light and the FAs were motivated enough they could bring out the carts.
They get it done in Europe.
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My girlfriend was in MCE last week on RDU-MIA. She asked for a white wine and the FA tried to charge her for it. When she said it was free in MCE the FA said "I'll make an exception and let you have it for free this time". Having to explain the rules to airline employees is one of the most annoying things about travel.
Spiff, dcmike, IAHtraveler and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
My girlfriend was in MCE last week on RDU-MIA. She asked for a white wine and the FA tried to charge her for it. When she said it was free in MCE the FA said "I'll make an exception and let you have it for free this time". Having to explain the rules to airline employees is one of the most annoying things about travel.
Was this an Eagle flight?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
These cases are anomalies at this point. Most of the time you're going to get your drink, no questions asked. It was a slow roll in the beginning, for sure (when this thread started), but the process has improved significantly.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by AAway
These cases are anomalies at this point. Most of the time you're going to get your drink, no questions asked. It was a slow roll in the beginning, for sure (when this thread started), but the process has improved significantly.
I had an FA who used to only work domestic F and when she was assigned to economy on my ORD SFO fligbt she though food is free in MCE and was giving it away. I can see how international J FAs who are assigned to fly one off domestic route in economy may not know about free drinks 🙄
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Was this an Eagle flight?
Nope, RDU-MIA has managed to remain all mainline (though we get more A-319s than I'd like).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.