Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No meal in business (first) LAX-BOS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

No meal in business (first) LAX-BOS?

I’m flying LAS-LAX-BOS next month in First (AA421, AA1379). The LAX-BOS is an overnight.

I contacted AA by twitter as I thought we’d be able to pre-select our meal as I have on any other AA flight in first / business but it wasn’t showing as an option on my booking. They’ve replied telling me as it’s an overnight flight, no food will be served, just refreshments. Is this true? For a 5hour + flight? Is this the same for all similar overnights such as LAS-PHL?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I’m flying LAS-LAX-BOS next month in First (AA421, AA1379). The LAX-BOS is an overnight.

I contacted AA by twitter as I thought we’d be able to pre-select our meal as I have on any other AA flight in first / business but it wasn’t showing as an option on my booking. They’ve replied telling me as it’s an overnight flight, no food will be served, just refreshments. Is this true? For a 5hour + flight? Is this the same for all similar overnights such as LAS-PHL?

Thanks
Is it departing 8 PM or later?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Correct. No meals after 8:01PM.

https://www.aa.com.br/i18n/travelInf...p?locale=en_JP
E55 and adunker like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

That’s pretty crappy. What am I flying in business for then?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

that's something only you can answer. Would you normally wait till 9 pm to eat dinner? That's the earliest you'd have it served in the air on a flight this late, if they still had it (which they don't -and haven't- for a few years). Presumably the larger seat, unlimited booze, and some refreshments were what you were after, but what DID you want?
It is disappointing to know a meal isn't an option, but you gotta do your homework these days to know what to expect, especially if it's nonrefundable.
trooper, Zacnlinc and tstauck like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
that's something only you can answer. Would you normally wait till 9 pm to eat dinner? That's the earliest you'd have it served in the air on a flight this late, if they still had it (which they don't -and haven't- for a few years). Presumably the larger seat, unlimited booze, and some refreshments were what you were after, but what DID you want?
It is disappointing to know a meal isn't an option, but you gotta do your homework these days to know what to expect, especially if it's nonrefundable.
I suppose the question I’m more asking is, what am I paying for? Yeah a bigger seat. But no lounge access (I get it anyway as BA Silver) no meal, I get baggage as BA Silver anyway. As much maligned as European business is, you still get fed
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

I suppose the question I’m more asking is, what am I paying for? Yeah a bigger seat. But no lounge access (I get it anyway as BA Silver) no meal, I get baggage as BA Silver anyway. As much maligned as European business is, you still get fed
I don't believe that AA sells J on the route, so OP is either in F or Y.

The service is exactly as advertised. If OP did not see value in it at the time he booked, I am not sure whether this is anything other than buyer's remorse.

There are any number of reasons to fly F on the TCON route. It is a personal choice, but I would put food service on a red eye at the bottom. I would just as soon that the cabin crew do the necessary safety checks, do a quick drink service and then leave the passenger cabin alone until it is time to prepare for arrival.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Even on the later evening premium transcontinental routes for LAX/SFO to JFK, F and J passengers don't receive a full service so it's more a business decision driven by how many folks sleep on those, having already eaten. Why cater a cabin when only a small percentage would partake if you can save on that cost?

Hopefully the seat and boarding priority make up for the lack of what passes for catering today. Enjoy your flight and the peaceful knowledge that you won't have to partake in the upgrade list scrum!
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Is airline food really the reason you book a first class domestic seat? Seriously?

Why don't you tell us what you are paying for, you booked the flight?

Regards
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by scubadu
Is airline food really the reason you book a first class domestic seat? Seriously?

Why don't you tell us what you are paying for, you booked the flight?

Regards
Possibly to get first dibs on the Barclays paper credit card applications, just in case they run out of apps or special bonuses of course!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by scubadu
+1

If you're paying hundreds of dollars for an airplane meal, I guess that's your prerogative but definitely not what I'd choose.
E55 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
About four years ago, when I was still flying red-eye flights from LAX to BOS, hot food was available in F. I don't recall anyone on FT scoffed at the idea of a meal service on a red-eye. It is a relatively recent downgrade in service on AA. Fortunately for AA, frequent flyers have quickly acquiesced to the new standards of service.
Catbert10 and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Not that it will help the OP now that the ticket has been purchased (unless it is refundable), but Jet Blue has Mint service LAX-BOS. They have a special, "shuteye menu," for that flight. By no means a full meal, but definitely more than just, "refreshments."

Oddly, they charge about $600 less for same dates/similar times when I checked in late April. And the B6 seat looks similar to those that AA uses for JFK-LAX transcon service.
Thunderroad and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't believe that AA sells J on the route, so OP is either in F or Y.
<snipped>
In the US we call it First Class, but that same seat on a flight out of the US is Business Class.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
There are any number of reasons to fly F on the TCON route. It is a personal choice, but I would put food service on a red eye at the bottom. I would just as soon that the cabin crew do the necessary safety checks, do a quick drink service and then leave the passenger cabin alone until it is time to prepare for arrival.
^ This.

Domestic redeyes are to be avoided at all cost, IMO. But if I have to be on one - I want to be asleep as fast as possible. Shut the lights off, minimize commotion in the cabin, and leave me alone for as long as possible (preferably until the seat belt sign comes on for landing). I'd consider no meal a benefit.
C17PSGR and SoggyDollar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.