Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seat etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:10 am

Thanks Djokison for the clarification - that's what I had hoped. And yes, both you and Microwave are correct - 7-8 hours isn't the shortest flight in the world, and as it is a daytime flight, it helps minimize the jetlag to stay awake and have some real entertainment options!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Agree - I think the website is just pulling the old info. I just flew on one of these retrofitted 772s from LHR to JFK and the movie titles looked the same to me as the 77W and the 787. The seats, btw, are the same as the 787 (I believe) not the 77W - if that makes a difference to you.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by roberto99
On such a short trip, why would it matter?
I'm with the OP here. I always choose the 77W for LHR - JFK as you can easily get through 3 decent movies on a nice screen and hey presto you're in the US! Good to hear the refurbished 772s will be similar. There's no risk of an unrefurbished 772 showing up on that route is there?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
I'm with the OP here. I always choose the 77W for LHR - JFK as you can easily get through 3 decent movies on a nice screen and hey presto you're in the US! Good to hear the refurbished 772s will be similar. There's no risk of an unrefurbished 772 showing up on that route is there?
I mean, never say never. But this is a route that's marketed as having all lie-flat in premium classes, so I assume they'll do their best to always have the refurb planes on it. However, there still aren't that many 77D, so if push comes to shove and 1 or more go tech, I imagine they'll throw in whatever equipment they have.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
AA 787 or JL 787 to Tokyo?

I'm currently flying LAX-DFW-NRT in biz. AA to DFW and Japan Airlines on the 787 with SkySuite from DFW-NRT.

Another open option looks like LAX-PVG (Shanghai) on a AA 787 and then connecting on Japan Airlines.

The AA Dreamliner worth the experience over Japan Airlines. Shanghai would be a nice long route to check it out.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
I would stick with the Sky Suite. IMO, the leading biz product. Not tried it on the 787, but the 777-300 Sky Suite is amazing, as long as you can get a window seat. Personally, American spoiled their 787 with a poor seat product.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I wouldn't say AA 787 J seat is terrible, but it could've been way better. It's still manageable, but JL would definitely blow AA out of the water, especially if JL is lie flat.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:12 pm

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll keep the JL SkySuite on the outbound and try to change the return from Osaka - LAX since it has the old-style seats (though non-stops are always nice!).

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both are decent rides, but I'd probably give a slight edge to JL's 787 with SkySuite. (If it's the crappy angled-flat 787 they throw on the SAN route, then skip.)

One thing I will say is that JL cranks up the heat on their planes. I have a hard time sleeping because it's so darn hot inside, and since I've flown them a few times, I now choose AA over JL (seats being equal) because I value sleep over ramen noodles/bento boxes/friendlier FAs (two (three?) of which I can get on the ground).
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I would honestly do KIX-LAX with an angle flat over KIX-PVG-LAX with flat seats -- connecting in PVG is a pain (and the Terminal 2 lounges are pretty mediocre).
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:05 pm

Thanks. I'm worried about the hot cabin but think I'll tough out the JAL KIX-LAX flight.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:29 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Keep in mind you will receive 2x EQM for paid business class tickets on AA coded flights vs. 1.5 for JAL coded flights. If you are making a run for EXP status - the difference in EQM is not insignificant. It's possible AA may have a codeshare on the JAL metal flight. If the cost it more or less the same - booking on the AA coded flight will provide better returns.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I agree. PVG and PEK last year has an ~35% on time record. Irrops galore not to mention the security and immigration/passport check queues for PVG domestic and international transfers are a pain as well.

And with the JL 787 skysuite being slightly better seat wise and much better service wise, definitely stick with JL.

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
I would honestly do KIX-LAX with an angle flat over KIX-PVG-LAX with flat seats -- connecting in PVG is a pain (and the Terminal 2 lounges are pretty mediocre).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:59 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
IFE comparisons AA vs partners

I've flown all my INTL flts on AA (95% in BC) (once on AB also BC). On 1/18 I was in Y on BA117 (LHR-JFK) in Y.
The (small screen) IFE even in Y had far far far () more choices than AA has in BC: (1)more movies, (2)in the music area, under classical you could choose any of the 9 Beethoven symphonies (complete versions--not the "snips" of stuff AA offers)--other works (piano sonatas, etc.) were also complete.^, (3)3D flight map.
I'm planning to write to AA to "upgrade" their IFE choices--particularly (2) and (3).

Last edited by nrr; Jan 21, 2016 at 6:05 am
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I've flown both J and Y on the 788 and I thought the IFE was very good. Granted I've never flown BA, but I had a vast selection of movies and there was also a cool 3D map with full flight playback. It seemed to be nearly identical to the IFE on the new 321s also, just as an aside.

Don't recall any full symphonies, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.