Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA has increased award availability at the SAAver / MileSAAver level, apparently at the cost of reducing the availability of nonstop and direct routing and increasing availability requiring connections using married segment logic.

This means those originating travel at one hub may well find themselves forced to connect through another hub - whose residents will also be required to connect through another hub. This is suspected to be a way of accommodating SAAver awards without competing with those purchasing more convenient nonstop routing. See post #17 by ashill.

Gary Leff: “Cranky Flier got American to confirm last week that much of the space they’ve opened up is on connecting flights. They’re offering married segment availability — award space that’s highly restrictive...”

See American Significantly Increases Coach Award Space On Connecting Flights, By Cranky Flier on Dec 21, 2017

How to Game American’s New Connecting Flight Award Availability to Get the Ticket You Want, by Gary Leff on December 26, 2017 but see post #75 by Psyclone*Jack; this loophole may now be closed.
Married Segment Logic and Effects on Awards

"When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable." Link to FT thread; see wikipost info by JonNYC and hillrider.

"Sometimes when you’re searching for award space... you’ll find that some seats will show as available when you search for them from origin to destination, but when you call to book the flights segment-by-segment, those flights show as unavailable."

"Married segment logic is a tool used by airlines that restricts availability based on origin and destination, rather than by segments."(DCTA, on Boarding Area)

Married segment logic controls routings based on origin and destination, rather than segment-by-segment availability. Boarding Area
Link to Boarding Area: Sunday Reader Question: What are married segments?

From Amadeus: Married Segment Control Link

Amadeus Married Segment Control is a revenue maximisation tool that ensures that airline revenue management decisions, made at availability time, are applied throughout the booking process. It prevents agents bypassing availability controls, based on origin and destination (O&D) information. It also improves both load factors and revenue forecasting accuracy.

Key benefits
  • Ensures more effective forecasting by preventing O&D misuse and matching revenue forecasts with final revenues.
  • Improves consistency of sales processes by controlling travel agent selling behaviour.
  • Fully customisable and flexible solution that meets airline unique system requirements.
Link to Worldspan page with extensive information on MSL and coding.

Older posts have been archived off to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html
Print Wikipost

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
If I was a DFW resident I would be PEEVED. Look at DFW-HKG next week. Z0U0 if originating in DFW. But magically change your origin to IAH or OKC and voila, U7 on multiple dates, even a handful of Z. But no C inventory that I've seen, at least DFWers could upgrade if C was available, but nope. Even as an OKCer who could benefit from these shenanigans, I find this crap to be irritating to no end.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:48 pm

I was in the same situation going to Italy with an even longer layover. I ticketed and eventually there was a small schedule change. AA automatically put me on the best connection even though the schedule change would have been doable. If your flight is far out I’d chance it but prepare for the worst.
chitink likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I'm in limbo right now wondering what to do with this married sAAver award ticket I'm looking at booking. I want to book MUC-PHL-ATL, but the only itenerary that's bookable is with an 8 hour layover in PHL. What's crazy is that I can see the PHL to ATL flight that gives me only a 3 hour layover and it's a sAAver award. Obviously AA doesn't want me to have that one because they hate happiness.

I called in and tried to book it. They wouldn't let me. Is it worth it to book, then call in and try to change the second flight? For the love of God. It's sitting right there in sAAver space. Why AA? Why must you do this?
Could part of the problem be that AA does not fly MUC-PHL anymore?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
Could part of the problem be that AA does not fly MUC-PHL anymore?
I typoed. Meant MAD.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Quick clarification needed

Perhaps we should add this to the FAQ? -

Do these married segment restrictions apply only to AA flights or also partner flights? For example: LAX-HKG-SIN is available but LAX-HKG is not.

Married segment restrictions apply only to AA metal.

If this marrying concept applies to partner flights, then I suppose we can no longer use BA.com for award searches and must use AA.com only?

Answer: N/A
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eethan

Do these married segment restrictions apply only to AA flights or also partner flights? For example: LAX-HKG-SIN is available but LAX-HKG is not.

If this marrying concept applies to partner flights, then I suppose we can no longer use BA.com for award searches and must use AA.com only?

It applies to any partner that uses married sector availability

That has no impact on using BA for award searches as long as it can find connections

It is the airlines whose availability is being searched for, that defines the availability, not AA
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by eethan

I did a search for SYD-TLV in mid January. AA.com returned the following routing:
SYD-(QF)-BNE-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-TLV all in Business
When searching BNE-TLV on the same dates the BNE-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-TLV flights I could book originating from SYD did not appear but I was able to put on hold:
BNE-(QF)-AKL-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-TLV

Bizarre, but I presume (perhaps wrongly) that the CX 359 from Auckland will at least be a better experience than the 333 from Brisbane and who wouldn't jump at the opportunity for an overnighter at the Holiday Inn Auckland Airport
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
i haven't book an international flight on american in 2 years and just ran into this.

DFW-PHL-DBV flights booked with an award (call it option 1), however, when i saw a more convenient dfw-phl (option 2) I was told that i booked a married segment and the option 2 was not available. Strange, because when i booked my flight originally both dfw-phl and phl-dbv (option 1) were available as separate segments.

it would have saved me only 1:25hrs at phl, so not the end of the world.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by envgeo
i haven't book an international flight on american in 2 years and just ran into this.

DFW-PHL-DBV flights booked with an award (call it option 1), however, when i saw a more convenient dfw-phl (option 2) I was told that i booked a married segment and the option 2 was not available. Strange, because when i booked my flight originally both dfw-phl and phl-dbv (option 1) were available as separate segments.

it would have saved me only 1:25hrs at phl, so not the end of the world.
That you booked a married segment is irrelevant or a mis-interpretation of what is occurring. The way that AA has implemented this is that you must find availability for DFW-PHL-DBV on your preferred flights. This is very restrictive, as it does not allow you to move to the DFW-PHL if AA is not currently willing to sell DFW-PHL-DBV, even though the space is available on DFW-PHL and you hold a confirmed reservation for PHL-DBV.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
thanks for clarification and bummer, thats a downgrade from past practices.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
mixed cabin awards

Hi,

Let's say I book a business class sAAver award with mixed cabins.

I.e. First flight is in business, next flight is economy, next flight is business.

Before the day of travel, what are the criteria for asking to be put in business on the 2nd flight?

Does sAAver space have to be available from O/D of the entire one way or if I find sAAver space by searching that flight, they could put me in there? I read that now the agents have to deal with HARD married segment logic...

And on the day of travel, let's say I fly the first segment in business, and I'm at my layover:

Same question as above. Is it easier now that one segment will have been flown?

Next question is (if unable to do the above)... can I be put on the upgrade list? If so, how? Also, would that go by whether the segment shows business sAAver availability?

THanks
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Absolutely madding. Damn impossible to redeem now.

Here's just one example of what should be a simple domestic itinerary (and kind of crummy that it has a connection now since they ceded the market to AC and WS):

I can find this

And I can also find this

But they won't let me piece together this.

They are deliberately forcing extremely long connections on us using this married segment nonsense.

I tried agent one, I HUCA'd and tried with agent two, and HUCA'd again and tried with agent three. Struck out on all three. System will not allow them to piece together the desired itinerary (photo #3 ) despite the fact that there's availability on the segments.

It has been a very long time since I've been able to redeem for anything reasonable (at sAAver level).

Last edited by thehawk75; Sep 30, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Absolutely madding. Damn impossible to redeem now.

Here's just one example of what should be a simple domestic itinerary (and kind of crummy that it has a connection now since they ceded the market to AC and WS):
[snip]
They are deliberately forcing extremely long connections on us using this married segment nonsense.

I tried agent one, I HUCA'd and tried with agent two, and HUCA'd again and tried with agent three. Struck out on all three. System will not allow them to piece together the desired itinerary (photo #3 ) despite the fact that there's availability on the segments.

It has been a very long time since I've been able to redeem for anything reasonable (at sAAver level).
Yup. System is working as they expect - discourage use of miles. Going for great!

I always see either a 12 hour layover or an overnight when there are perfectly reasonable options in between. Oh, and don't forget the J/F sAAver where you are in F on the short hop to the hub and then in Y TATL/TPAC. Be careful not to fall for that one either.
deeruck and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Yup. System is working as they expect - discourage use of miles. Going for great!

I always see either a 12 hour layover or an overnight when there are perfectly reasonable options in between. Oh, and don't forget the J/F sAAver where you are in F on the short hop to the hub and then in Y TATL/TPAC. Be careful not to fall for that one either.
Oh, you mean this joyful noise I have to sift through en-mass on just about every bloody search result now:

Rubish
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
BA.com becomes a lot less useful now (for searching segment by segment)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It applies to any partner that uses married sector availability

That has no impact on using BA for award searches as long as it can find connections

It is the airlines whose availability is being searched for, that defines the availability, not AA
I see what you mean. However, BA.com now becomes a lot less useful with these married segment rules.

We mostly used BA.com to search segment by segment. But now, one segment (say HKG-LAX), may be available when searching HKG-LAX-PVG, but may not be available when searching for HKG-LAX-SIN. Therefore, it no longer makes sense to search segment by segment.

Does this logic sound right?

What we need is a award search tool that effectively searches for all possible routings between our desired origin and destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.