Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Increased award availability requiring married segments / connections

Old May 19, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

Trying to book an AAnytime award X-DFW-Z. X-DFW available @ 25k miles and DFW-Z also available at 25k miles. Connection is about 2 hours. Paid ticket on that itinerary is bookable.

What gives? Never run into this before. Agent confirmed that it's not bookable and that said she had seen this before, but it's rare.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 26, 2018 at 3:41 pm Reason: insert Moderator note
Old May 19, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Trying to book an AAnytime award X-DFW-Z. X-DFW available @ 25k miles and DFW-Z also available at 25k miles. Connection is about 2 hours. Paid ticket on that itinerary is bookable.

What gives? Never run into this before. Agent confirmed that it's not bookable and that said she had seen this before, but it's rare.
why not fill on the "X" and the "Z' if you want a better shot at an answer.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Origin and destination availability: http://web.cenet.org.cn/upfile/96583.pdf

In other words, they'll be happy to sell an award to someone going from X-DFW and a separate one to someone else going from DFW-Z, but they think they can wring out more money from someone going from X to Z and so they won't sell it.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
why not fill on the "X" and the "Z' if you want a better shot at an answer.
LOL of course...

MAF-DEN via DFW on 23 May...
Old May 19, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
A good revenue management system will do this.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
A good revenue management system will do this.
Ha ha...define "good".
Old May 19, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
Origin and destination availability: http://web.cenet.org.cn/upfile/96583.pdf

In other words, they'll be happy to sell an award to someone going from X-DFW and a separate one to someone else going from DFW-Z, but they think they can wring out more money from someone going from X to Z and so they won't sell it.
That would make sense if this were MilesAAver but this is AAnytime. So if its bookable with cash this should not be the case.
Old May 19, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DWFI
That would make sense if this were MilesAAver but this is AAnytime. So if its bookable with cash this should not be the case.
That is what I have always believed. So far no one has been able to come up with a reason for this. Aren't AAnytime awards anytime awards subject to last-seat availability and legal connections are, well, legal??
Old May 19, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have seen this type of thing before but it was in the context of booking partner awards. If the airline has not filed a fare between your origin and destination, the system treats it as two separate flights requiring two separate awards. In my case, I could not book a single award for LED-LHR-BRU because BA did not offer a LED-BRU fare. But that should not be an issue in this case. AA definitely offers MAF-DEN fares. I just verified that with ITA. I think the best next step is to call back. AA may have an error in its system but they should be able to fix it.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It would appear that you are having married sector issues

Doing a search of MAF-DEN , the only though availability would seem to be departing MAF at 0600 , 17:40 and 19:05. All the other connections are showing Y0 on DFW-DEN

Checking just DFW-DEN as a standalone booking , there is plenty of availability, so as 2 discrete bookings, no issue

Doing a dummy booking online, AA2544 connecting to AA1620 is showing at 25k miles plus $5 quite successfully

Which flights were you trying to book?

Originally Posted by DWFI
It isn't bookable as a through fare with cash though since it is Y0 on DFW-DEN. checking on aa.com , other than the times I mentioned, the booking engine shows "unavailable" for economy

1st class is available though
Old May 19, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It would appear that you are having married sector issues

Doing a search of MAF-DEN , the only though availability would seem to be departing MAF at 0600 , 17:40 and 19:05. All the other connections are showing Y0 on DFW-DEN

Checking just DFW-DEN as a standalone booking , there is plenty of availability, so as 2 discrete bookings, no issue

Doing a dummy booking online, AA2544 connecting to AA1620 is showing at 25k miles plus $5 quite successfully

Which flights were you trying to book?

It isn't bookable as a through fare with cash though since it is Y0 on DFW-DEN. checking on aa.com , other than the times I mentioned, the booking engine shows "unavailable" for economy

1st class is available though
I'm after AA369, which is now unavailable in Y but was available earlier today. The website still shows it as available for a 25k Y AAnytime award, although I can't get to the actual point of booking it due to the trapping of duplicate reservations (I have a refundable FC seat on that flight).

It would take someone (an EXP maybe) to try a dummy booking on that flight to see if the AAnytime Y award is actually bookable at this point.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:29 pm

I'm after AA369, which is now unavailable in Y but was available earlier today. The website still shows it as available for a 25k Y AAnytime award, although I can't get to the actual point of booking it due to the trapping of duplicate reservations (I have a refundable FC seat on that flight).

It would take someone (an EXP maybe) to try a dummy booking on that flight to see if the AAnytime Y award is actually bookable at this point.
AA369 has Y0 when attempting to book as MAF-DEN

If you look at trying to make a paid booking , you will see that there is no availability for even a full fare paid booking

Booking 1 ticket MAF-DFW and another ticket DFW-DEN , then DFW-DEN has Y7 , so no problems just twice the price

If you were not getting trapped by a duplicate reservation, if selecting
Old May 19, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA369 has Y0 when attempting to book as MAF-DEN

If you look at trying to make a paid booking , you will see that there is no availability for even a full fare paid booking

Booking 1 ticket MAF-DFW and another ticket DFW-DEN , then DFW-DEN has Y7 , so no problems just twice the price

If you were not getting trapped by a duplicate reservation, if selecting
Do Y0 flights typically appear as available for 25k AAytime Y awards?
Old May 19, 2014, 2:47 pm

They arn't showing now it seems ( can only see a smaller selection now ) ; when it was showing, when pressing continue after selecting the flights the site gave an error and wouldn't proceed to the booking screen

I assumed that the issue was that the system wasn't properly checking through availability just a sector availabiliry.

Even so, the situation you have encountered is quite explicable and just really need to decide whether want to pay 50k for an economy award
Old May 19, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
No. I think you might be missing the point though. Dave Noble is not saying that any of the flights are Y0 on their own, but the married segments are Y0. That is MAF-DFW is Y(>0), DFW-DEN is Y(>0), but DFW-DEN is Y0 for a MAF-DFW-DEN connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.