Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Paulchili
It is shameful, embarrassing, inexplicable, inexcusable and unacceptable (and many other things).
Called AA for 2 J awards AUH-LAX which showed as available on Etihad.
AA couldn't see it but Australia had no trouble seeing it and booking it.
Why in the H**l can AA not fix this for once and for all?
Why do we have to call Australia to make a simple booking like this?
Shame on whoever at AA is responsible for this mess!
Might want to become a little more informed.... All of this is EYs doing. They cranked down on availability for the US point of sale due to increased redemptions. I am sure AA is none too pleased with this and is in dicussion a with EY.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
in my experience it's not even if they allow it to be booked. it's just recently the system has been plagued with errors. for example; USA to india should be one award. however recently it cannot be booked as one award. once they grab the USA to AUH award then suddenly the AUH to DEL award goes away. they acknowledge it should work but they cant do anything about it.
This is well known (see wiki) and is not an error. They are favoring people who are starting from or ending in AUH, i.e. their own members.

Also, since US-AUH costs the same number of miles as US-AUH-India, they have no incentive to provide a free ticket AUH-India. (This is speculative--I admit I don't know how or if they get paid by AA.)

my issue has been is that i have an existing USA to DEL award ticket; however when i booked it the only availability has me getting there at 3 am. however there is now availability on an earlier flight but they cant change me to it. if they search for a new award, they see it available, but cant do a change. it's frustrating because it gets me into delhi at 7pm, which is a lot nicer than 3am. either way, i just wish they would make the rules clear so we can actually plan around them. i've wasted so much time calling them to try to change and i've given up at this point. i'll probably try one week before departure (if there is any availability at that point) since some have reported it works then.
Since this issue is clearly discussed in the wiki, you should not waste so much time calling them. On the other hand, you should call them starting about a month in advance, not a week in advance (also in the wiki). This works because a few weeks in advance, EY decides that its members have already booked whatever they're going to book; so it lets AAdvantage members book normally.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by louie-m
What is shameful is Etihad agreeing to make space available for AA flyers and then not doing so.
This is incorrect. Etihad has not "agreed" to any such thing. Even AA has not "agreed" to make space available---not even to its own elites, not even on its own flights. According to COC, AA does not even "agree" to be fair in its dealings with you. The whole enterprise is based on "whatever we feel like".

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 5, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

in my experience it's not even if they allow it to be booked. it's just recently the system has been plagued with errors. for example; USA to india should be one award. however recently it cannot be booked as one award. once they grab the USA to AUH award then suddenly the AUH to DEL award goes away.
That sounds like it could be married sector issues. What happens when searching for the through journey rather than sector by sector

A-B may be available and B-C may be available ; that doesn't mean that A-C via B is available
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That sounds like it could be married sector issues. What happens when searching for the through journey rather than sector by sector

A-B may be available and B-C may be available ; that doesn't mean that A-C via B is available
Actually it absolutely does mean that. I've booked etihad award space a few times and all was good until a few months ago when it all went to ..... I honestly have no problem if they wanted to limit availability to AA customers. They can do that by not making guest award space available! That way we don't see availability and then get frustrated when we can't book it
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
honestly have no problem if they wanted to limit availability to AA customers. They can do that by not making guest award space available!
I believe that they do want to make the space available to their own flyers, as well as those of other partner airlines who reciprocate and don't abuse. I believe they specifically wish to exclude AA flyers from the USA.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 6, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:38 pm

in my experience it's not even if they allow it to be booked. it's just recently the system has been plagued with errors...
It's some lame Etihad IT attempt to block sets they don't want us to book.
I'd prefer to know Etihad is not a partner, period.
Rather than this stupid game I'm refusing to play.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:48 pm

Given the ease of booking EY travel that I have had with its availability and the quality of its product, I would have no desire to see it removed as a partner

That there are some situations where booking require calling Australia to make a booking doesn't seem like a difficult game to play
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
While I value EY as a partner, I will say that the fact in 2016 you have to call anyone to book anything is pretty ridiculous. I don't understand why this can't just be done online.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
While I value EY as a partner, I will say that the fact in 2016 you have to call anyone to book anything is pretty ridiculous. I don't understand why this can't just be done online.
That isn't uniquely an issue with booking EY with AA ; this is a limitation that AA has in place with its systems rather than an EY issue

I would agree that AA's booking system for awards is pretty poor
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given the ease of booking EY travel that I have had with its availability and the quality of its product, I would have no desire to see it removed as a partner

That there are some situations where booking require calling Australia to make a booking doesn't seem like a difficult game to play
i agree that i dont want to see EY removed but the issue many of us are having (including myself) is that even Australia call center can't do it
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Be careful what you wish for. What would availability in EY F/J be like if it could be booked on aa.com?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I called in to change an existing reservation from Royal Jordanian to Etihad and AA tried to charge me $150 per reservation change fee "because Etihad is not a OneWorld partner". Does this sound normal?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
I called in to change an existing reservation from Royal Jordanian to Etihad and AA tried to charge me $150 per reservation change fee "because Etihad is not a OneWorld partner". Does this sound normal?
unfortunately yes. they are not a one world partner, simply an american airlines partner
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
unfortunately yes. they are not a one world partner, simply an american airlines partner
any way around the fee? I called the US call center and they tried to charge it but maybe Australia call center doesn't charge it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.