Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Route: DEN-CLT
Date: 4/9
Flight: 400
Time: 7:05AM
Meal: Fresh Seasonal Fruit Plate
Open bar PDB was provided. Not much else to say other than the fact that the fruit is significantly less sufficient than a breakfast sandwich, but if you want to cut calories.... sure. Fruit itself was mediocre at best, so best part of the meal was the yogurt and biscuit.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Route: CLT-DEN
Date: 4/12
Flight: 2090
Time: 4:45PM
Meal: Grilled Beef Short Rib

Open bar PDB. An almost unheard of procedure was done, FEBO on this flight, luckily was in the last row unlike my outbound (I now realize my flight was an even number, but I will take that small victory anyways). Nuts and drinks were provided after 10k feet. Meal was served with a choice of sourdough, multi grain or basil roll. Side of cheese wedges and some ham product and an awful artichoke sliver. Was actually impressed by the salad as it was a greek salad. Contained feta, pepperoncinis, olives, cucumber and tomatoes, so better than some International AA flight salads I have had. Meal was a short rib, I don't eat red meat very often and cannot say anything about it, so I posted a picture for everyone who yells how their airplane beef is always overcooked. Side on the main was a twice baked potato with cheese, which I quite enjoyed. Dessert, strawberry ice cream.

Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
So I know that AA is now offering small meals in economy for Hawaii flights, but I can't seem to find if they allow for special meal orders (particularly kosher). 8 hours DFW-OGG is kinda long to not get a meal.
Unless recently upgraded, the "meal" for economy passengers on the non-stop DFW flights is a wrap sandwich (veggie or with meat), chips and a cookie or something similar. No other choices are offered.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by safari ari
Meal was a short rib, I don't eat red meat very often and cannot say anything about it, so I posted a picture for everyone who yells how their airplane beef is always overcooked.
Short ribs are unlike the traditional steaks that people complain about being overcooked. They contain significantly more connective tissue and generally benefit from long cook times. It's actually very difficult to overcook! I'm surprised AA doesn't use more of these "easy to cook and reheat" dishes.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Requested a Hindu meal on an upcoming midcon (sticker upgrade actually cleared!!!). Morbidly curious what LCC will come up with. Hopefully not just the same as the asian veg meal?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Atl-phx f avm

Following last week SJC-DFW ride, I ordered AVM again on ATL-PHX dinner flight, not as good as last one but acceptable. A mish mash of small plates, mains were potatoes+spinach+
cauliflower+saffron rice. The heat level was perfect. Not a fan of strawberry ice cream at all, how long has it been in circulation?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Following last week SJC-DFW ride, I ordered AVM again on ATL-PHX dinner flight, not as good as last one but acceptable. A mish mash of small plates, mains were potatoes+spinach+
cauliflower+saffron rice. The heat level was perfect. Not a fan of strawberry ice cream at all, how long has it been in circulation?
Thanks for this, I have an ATL-LAX flight next week and was thinking of trying the AVM meal based on some of the recent positive reports but was worried as it seems like the quality of the AVM meal is very location dependent (ie LAX == Bad, JFK == Good) and had not seen any reports ex-ATL. I'm gonna roll the dice and give it a go - will report back on my experience.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
Unless recently upgraded, the "meal" for economy passengers on the non-stop DFW flights is a wrap sandwich (veggie or with meat), chips and a cookie or something similar. No other choices are offered.
As per usual then, I'll bring my own food! Just to contrast, on my recent Turkish IST-TLV flight (1.5 hour flight), I was served a full meal in coach...

Last edited by dtphonehome; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
As per usual then, I'll bring my own food! Just to contrast, on my recent Turkish IST-TLV flight (1.5 hour flight), I was served a full meal in coach...
and my FRA-MUC which was a 40-minute airtime flight was served a meal... What does this have to do with American Airlines???
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD
LAA 738 (2001 model!)
Lunch

Lasagna or Greek salad with chicken.

PDB of water/OJ only

Greek salad is one of the healthier and best meals on domestic AA IMO. There was bread offered as well after I took this pic.

Cookie was decent too.

No service or refills offered for the last 45 minutes of the flight. It looked like the FA's were eating their catered lunch in the galley. Do they get catered meals domestically on a short flight like this, I thought it was only the pilots but could be mistaken?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Cookie was decent too.

No service or refills offered for the last 45 minutes of the flight. It looked like the FA's were eating their catered lunch in the galley. Do they get catered meals domestically on a short flight like this, I thought it was only the pilots but could be mistaken?
According to an FA friend no catered meals Only on transcon or international long-haul flights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Since when do they not pass out pretzels anymore in main cabin? I was on the "new" AA Shuttle ORD-LGA (mainline FWIW) tonight in MCE and there were no free snacks offered to anyone. I didn't press it since I got a double on my drink as an EXP without question......just weird. Also there was no special mention of the flight being a Shuttle flight or that beer/wine were free for all in main cabin......is AA just hoping the kettles won't know?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
LAX-OGG
AA205
LAA A321 (Sharklets)
Dinner
4/17/18

Incredible service that earned the FA an AApplause certificate aboard the flight.

Boarding started about 90 minutes, and as per usual with AA, the delays crept in about 10 minute intervals. SO Frustrating as I could have spent the time in the Admiral's Club getting work done instead of at the gate. I digress...

PDB of OJ, water, or champagne offered in the international plastic PDB cups. Pillow and the Casper blanket were on the seat. Earbuds distributed prior to takeoff.

As we waited a bit longer on the ground, FA took meal orders. My pre-order was acknowledged. ^

Once in the air, hot towels offered. Tray table linens were then distributed. Classy. ^

Drink of choice and hot nuts were offered. I miss the tropical nuts.

Dasani water bottles were distributed. FA proactively came around with an additional glass of ice water to go along with your drink of choice, too. ^

Meal choices today were the island surf and turf (pictured below) or the chow mein pasta. I chose the surf and turf. The appetizer consisted of salmon and cream wrapped in red cabbage. It was perfect and refreshing.

Catering forgot to load salad dressing apparently. LAX catering is always an adventure. The salad was still good.

The island surf and turf featured one shrimp and a decent cut of beef with fingerling potatoes on the side. Bread offered from the bread basket. I miss the Hawaiian rolls. My seat opponent stole the last pretzel roll, so I was stuck with sourdough, which was fine.

Made to order sundae offered and drinks proactively offered along with the dessert. ^

Drink was kept full throughout the flight. Snack basket passed around prior to landing. And as one might expect with this outstanding service, mints offered prior to landing.

Overall, an excellent flight that hearkened back to the good old days of AA.

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Anybody know what AA is stocking for beer at the moment? I have LAX-LHR next week so I'm curious what's available for free in the beer column.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Anybody know what AA is stocking for beer at the moment? I have LAX-LHR next week so I'm curious what's available for free in the beer column.
In J earlier this month AA had Bud, Bud Light, Sam Adams, Dos Equis, Heineken, Voodoo Ranger IPA, and Kirin (I assume Kirin was because it was a flight from LAX to HND).

Not sure how J beers translate to other cabins on international; but I imagine the Y selection was probably similar (ie bud/light, voodoo ranger, heinken, dos equis are usually available in both Y and F on domestic flights)
krazykanuck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.