Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lanb
Hi,

I have an upcoming AA codeshare flight on JAL metal (LAX-NRT) in Q class and was wondering if I can credit the miles to AS
According to https://www.wheretocredit.com/american-airlines/q I can get 25% of miles in AS but only 5 miles/$ in AA
I am not sure if this applies to AA-codeshare flights though. I am just looking to maximize the miles earned as I am not a status in either AA or AS.

P.S. - Just checked the LAX-NRT distance and it is 5400 miles which means that it may be a wash between 25% or 5 miles/$
But it would still be good to know my options

Thanks !
That's correct, AA is all revenue based for their flights. If it is a flight booked with an AA number it will earn 5 miles/$ unless you have AA elite status.

From Alaska's earning chart, the 25% of miles flown also appears to be correct as an international flight. Where to credit will depend on how much you paid for your ticket.

It always depends on the utility of the miles you are earning, if you credit to Finnair you get 100% of the distance as miles.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an upcoming AA codeshare flight on JAL metal (LAX-NRT) in Q class and was wondering if I can credit the miles to AS

According to https://www.wheretocredit.com/american-airlines/q I can get 25% of miles in AS but only 5 miles/$ in AA

I am not sure if this applies to AA-codeshare flights though. I am just looking to maximize the miles earned as I am not a status in either AA or AS.
A question for the AS forum.
AS requires partner flights to marketed & operated by the partner to get AS ff miles. But often AS freq flyers seem to get credit when retro claiming after the flight for codeshares where both are partners.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi,

P.S. - Just checked the LAX-NRT distance and it is 5400 miles which means that it may be a wash between 25% or 5 miles/$
But it would still be good to know my options

Thanks !
Didn’t AA and AS end this possibility (earning AS miles on an AA marketed flight) 1/1/2018? In any case, as this is about earning AS miles, you should ask this in the AS forum, not here.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Originally Posted by JDiver
Didn’t AA and AS end this possibility (earning AS miles on an AA marketed flight) 1/1/2018? In any case, as this is about earning AS miles, you should ask this in the AS forum, not here.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ry-2018-a.html From the AS thread wiki
International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thanks! I’d definitely check the AS forum to determine if AA marketed flights operated by other airlines earned AS miles.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:33 pm

Thanks! I’d definitely check the AS forum to determine if AA marketed flights operated by other airlines earned AS miles.
Thanks all for the replies. From the AS forum it appears that while this is possible, it would have to be a manual credit.
Given that it is a wash between the 25% miles and 5 miles/USD, I am just going to go with AA credit instead of
the manual credit etc.

AS codeshare credit
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:04 am

I'm planning a trip for next year for the family (two adults, two teens). I'm looking at buying tickets (N or O fare) for the four of us, and then using miles to upgrade my wife and I to business. Are there any issues with this if all four of us are on the same PNR? I know it would not work if it were a companion upgrade, but could not find anything about using miles to do it.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by scootr5
I'm planning a trip for next year for the family (two adults, two teens). I'm looking at buying tickets (N or O fare) for the four of us, and then using miles to upgrade my wife and I to business. Are there any issues with this if all four of us are on the same PNR? I know it would not work if it were a companion upgrade, but could not find anything about using miles to do it.
Do you have any status? If you book all 4 together on the same PNR and then upgrade just you and your wife, they will have to split the PNR. If you have status, then I would put your kids in good seats now, as once you upgrade to a different cabin you'll lose the ability to get them MCE or preferred seats for no charge.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
They probably would end up splitting the PNR at the time of upgrade, beyond that there probably isn't much of an issue.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Do you have any status? If you book all 4 together on the same PNR and then upgrade just you and your wife, they will have to split the PNR. If you have status, then I would put your kids in good seats now, as once you upgrade to a different cabin you'll lose the ability to get them MCE or preferred seats for no charge.
Originally Posted by MathMusic
They probably would end up splitting the PNR at the time of upgrade, beyond that there probably isn't much of an issue.
No status and they are not terribly picky about their seats, so no worries there. Thank you both.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:34 pm

Booked AAnytime Award flights this past Monday, 4/9. Paid for MCE (would have been free 6 months ago) on 2 of the 4 segments, for both my wife and I. I cancelled the flights same day, and called AAdvantage and got the miles reinstated. The taxes and fees have been refunded to my card, but the MCE charges still have not been. Do I need to request a refund for those, or do they typically just take longer?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

What is the deal with "bring your own device IFE" and amazon Fire tablets? I can't seem to find a compatible a app so can i stream content without the app?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by audio-nut
What is the deal with "bring your own device IFE" and amazon Fire tablets? I can't seem to find a compatible a app so can i stream content without the app?
I haven't tried but I thought that you could use a web browser on a laptop and that this would work for a tablet. The instructions say to connect to the WiFi with your browser and select the IFE option.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:45 am

Presumably, you can download the American Airlines app from the App Store or Google Play Store. Link.

Watch free entertainment

Stream our library of free inflight entertainment to your device with the app.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:57 pm

Presumably, you can download the American Airlines app from the App Store or Google Play Store. Link.
Amazon tablets don't have access to the play store without sideloading it.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.