Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hyde88
I am very inexperienced at booking reward travel and looking for some advice. I having been accumulating miles to use towards a trip to Europe for myself & my wife for our anniversary next April -- hoping to get business class seats. I'll be flying from DFW to CPH in late April and back in mid-May. I have seen lots of advice about trying to avoid British Airways due to the hefty surcharges, but it seems every search comes up with BA as the only option. The good side is that there seems to be good availability for business class seats at 57.5K each way, however round-trip surcharges appear total over $2K for the two of us. I've primarily searched using the AA website as well as British Airways. It's my understanding that a direct AA flight to London, even if connecting to a British Airways flight to CPH from there would significantly decrease the surcharge.

Would you recommend waiting a bit to see if availability on an AA flight opens up or should I just bite the bullet and pay the surcharge so I don't risk the available BA seats disappearing?
Some previous discussions I've read mention trying to pursue routing through a non-UK airport such as CDG or MAD ... is there a good way to try to force the reward flight search to these routes versus through London?

I've also seen reference to searching for flights on Finnair and/or Iberia as well, but am no having luck finding any good options there either.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
I refuse to fly BA on principle due to their gouging of frequent flyers. I would stick with AA metal and check regularly. I have even modified travel days by one or two days to get an AA flight and not have to fly BA. The reason why BA comes up as the first option is because AA/BA is a JBA and they split the pot. Rip off charges apart, the AA product TATL on 772, 773 and 788 is now well ahead of BA especially in Business and on the 773 in First. The short beds in Business on BA and the inferior IFE and Food offerings are yet more reasons to avoid. I find some routes AA shows availability early and some very late. Hope that helps. Was always taught cheats do not prosper, Fly AA.
Hyde88 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Thank you rjlon, i appreciate the feedback!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
All -
Not sure where to ask this AA question so I turned here. New corporate policy is steerage and corporate credit card. Will AA let me use a different CC to pay the difference in fare to PE or C?

Eg. Fare for economy is $1000. Fare for PE is $1500. Will AA allow me to buy the fare economy fare with the corporate card ($1000) and then up fare afterwards to PE with a personal card ($500) splitting the cost?

Thanks
Cheers
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by thegrailer
All -
Not sure where to ask this AA question so I turned here. New corporate policy is steerage and corporate credit card. Will AA let me use a different CC to pay the difference in fare to PE or C?

Eg. Fare for economy is $1000. Fare for PE is $1500. Will AA allow me to buy the fare economy fare with the corporate card ($1000) and then up fare afterwards to PE with a personal card ($500) splitting the cost?

Thanks
Cheers
Should be no problem with that. Any ticket change upfare ends up being a separate charge/receipt for the additional fare to be collected.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Hyde88
Thank you rjlon, i appreciate the feedback!
To add to the above...April/May 2019 is still eons away in the airline world, it's highly likely that better options will open up later on AA metal across the pond (or AY or IB). I certainly would not be in any rush to book the BA awards. I fly back and forth between the US and CPH several times a year, many of which are award flights, and the BA options are always plentiful. Europe traffic certainly picks up out of the winter slump by April and May, but you're still a little shy of the true peak season in June and July. As long as you can be flexible with travel days you shouldn't have any trouble...and if you can fly midweek your chances will increase exponentially.
Hyde88 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:47 pm

Newbie Q: Does AA do premier accelerator type offers for EQMs?

Hi Gurus,
Newbie to AA who is moving over from United. I have to meet EQMs as a part of my challenge. My question is does AA do something similar to the United's Premier Accelerator deals where you can pay to get EQMs? This typically happens when you check in for the flight and the screen gives you an option to purchase "regular award" miles and then a premier accelerator option to buy EQM.
Appreciate the replies.
Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pittovt
Hi Gurus,
Newbie to AA who is moving over from United. I have to meet EQMs as a part of my challenge. My question is does AA do something similar to the United's Premier Accelerator deals where you can pay to get EQMs? This typically happens when you check in for the flight and the screen gives you an option to purchase "regular award" miles and then a premier accelerator option to buy EQM.
Appreciate the replies.
Thanks
Unfortunately not at this moment. Two ways to get EQMs are 1)fly and 2)spend on eligible credit cards for a specific amount.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: continental one pass,BA exwcutive club
PHL Connection International to Domestic

I am flying AA from Manchester( UK) to PHL then onward with AA to Houston Tx. My International flight arrives in Terminal A and from what I can see.. the domestic AA flight to Houston also leaves from Terminal A..which surprised me. I know that I will have to clear Immigration, collect bags, clear customs and re- check bag to Houston , ... maybe security ? then find my Houston gate. I have a long layover so not worried about time, just wondering if this is a fairly straightforward process. Any advice or experiences much appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kath1
I am flying AA from Manchester( UK) to PHL then onward with AA to Houston Tx. My International flight arrives in Terminal A and from what I can see.. the domestic AA flight to Houston also leaves from Terminal A..which surprised me. I know that I will have to clear Immigration, collect bags, clear customs and re- check bag to Houston , ... maybe security ? then find my Houston gate. I have a long layover so not worried about time, just wondering if this is a fairly straightforward process. Any advice or experiences much appreciated. Thanks
I’d read the AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc. thread; the Wikipost at the top of the page offers some information about PHL airport, including a map and a Link to downloadable PDF PHL airport map

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:13 pm

Thank you
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
To add to the above...April/May 2019 is still eons away in the airline world, it's highly likely that better options will open up later on AA metal across the pond (or AY or IB). I certainly would not be in any rush to book the BA awards. I fly back and forth between the US and CPH several times a year, many of which are award flights, and the BA options are always plentiful. Europe traffic certainly picks up out of the winter slump by April and May, but you're still a little shy of the true peak season in June and July. As long as you can be flexible with travel days you shouldn't have any trouble...and if you can fly midweek your chances will increase exponentially.

Thank you JJeffrey, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge & experience. I will exercise some patience and watch for additional options to become available.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:22 pm

Thank you
Is there another thread I could post this in to see if I get any responses?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
I’d read the AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc. thread; the Wikipost at the top of the page offers some information about PHL airport, including a map and a Link to downloadable PDF PHL airport map
Is there another thread I could post this in to see if I get any responses?
Have you read the thread or looked at the PHL airport web site?
Just follow the signs. 100's of people transfer to other flights every day
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:49 pm

I do believe you're right
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:32 pm

Stopovers on partner award tickets, and on paid tickets

If I book an award from BKK-JFK via HND/NRT on JL, or via HKG on CX, I have some questions about award and paid tickets re stopovers.

If if booking a J award, is any kind of stopover allowed? Even if not, would a very long connection, i.e. overnight, be allowed? I would like to be able to fit in a brief visit to Tokyo for at least one sushi dinner and a tempura lunch within a <24 hour period.

On a paid J ticket on JL or CX - either directly booked with the airline or as an AA code share - would a stopover of any kind even longer than 24 hours be allowed in Tokyo or Hong Kong?

Thanks for any advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.