Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: aa
AA award ticket on BA - earned AA miles

Hi. Last year I booked two separate business class award tickets, round trips from Oakland to London Gatwick on BA. 57,500 miles each way. "U" class. I was platinum at the time. To my surprise, my account was credited with miles for those trips. Was this a mistake?

Last edited by bossjoe; Mar 17, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bossjoe
Hi. Last year I booked two separate business class award tickets, round trips from Oakland to London Gatwick on BA. 57,500 miles each way. "U" class. I was platinum at the time. To my surprise, my account was credited with miles for those trips. Was this a mistake?
Yes it was a mistake, however there are lots of scattered reports on here of the same thing happening to other folks with awards on BA. I received miles for a shorthaul BA award myself.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Just booked a one-way ticket to Doha with AA miles. Have to connect in Philly since no business space on the Chicago>Doha. Hoping to switch to the direct flight but don’t think they’ll open seats as my flight is only a few days after the route is supposedly getting QSuites.

Do I get lounge access in Chicago before my first leg?In domestic first if that matters
So, do you have a confirmed business class ticket for your international leg, or are you standing by for an upgrade? Is your domestic first confirmed?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: OneWorld, UR
Hello! I've got about 57k AA Miles that I'd like to use on a trip. I know flying AA metal to Europe is bad redemption but would like to use them somehow. I've tried searching but am not finding answers to what I need.
Can I use miles & cash? Should I buy miles? If so, how many? I get confused with the bonus points with the AA credit card. Traveling to Dublin and London via Cleveland in August.

There are 4 of us going, so obviously its not enough- barely for even one segment.
Other ideas for the use of these miles? Should I use them on hotels/car rentals?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbpof363
Hello! I've got about 57k AA Miles that I'd like to use on a trip. I know flying AA metal to Europe is bad redemption but would like to use them somehow. I've tried searching but am not finding answers to what I need.
Can I use miles & cash? Should I buy miles? If so, how many? I get confused with the bonus points with the AA credit card. Traveling to Dublin and London via Cleveland in August.

There are 4 of us going, so obviously its not enough- barely for even one segment.
Other ideas for the use of these miles? Should I use them on hotels/car rentals?
Welcome to FT. What do you mean flying AA metal to Europe is a bad redemption? For coach or business class, redeeming miles for a free ticket to Europe on AA can be one of the best redemptions out there.

AA doesn't offer any kind of miles + cash award tickets. The award chart is posted at aa.com, but for economy in August you're looking at 30k miles per person, each way. Business is 57.5k miles.

You can search awards at aa.com to see what's available on your dates. AA or it's partners don't fly directly to Europe from Cleveland, so not sure what you mean by that as well.

As to buying miles, this can sometimes be a decent option, but it's critical that you search aa.com first to see what's available. Buying miles first and then hoping to find award space after will just set you up for major disappointment. And for coach redemptions, buying miles rarely makes sense unless you just need a few thousand to top up your account.

Finally, be sure to check what it will cost to just buy your tickets.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As to buying miles, this can sometimes be a decent option, but it's critical that you search aa.com first to see what's available. Buying miles first and then hoping to find award space after will just set you up for major disappointment. And for coach redemptions, buying miles rarely makes sense unless you just need a few thousand to top up your account.
Note to OP: you can put an award on hold so that you are sure to have it before you buy the miles. So you could put a coach booking on hold while you buy the extra miles. But make sure you compare the total cash cost to a cash booking as JJeffrey said.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: American Platinum
I know this is a stupid question. I just booked a Y class fare. This is refundable, right? If for some reason I failed to cancel the reservation before departure, would it still be refundable? I searched American's web site to confirm, but couldn't find the answer, they seem to be coy about refund policy.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jethro123
I know this is a stupid question. I just booked a Y class fare. This is refundable, right? If for some reason I failed to cancel the reservation before departure, would it still be refundable? I searched American's web site to confirm, but couldn't find the answer, they seem to be coy about refund policy.
The policy is in the fare rules, which are hard to get to once you have bought the ticket. You will have to call to find out whether it is refundable and whether there are fees.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Note to OP: you can put an award on hold so that you are sure to have it before you buy the miles. So you could put a coach booking on hold while you buy the extra miles. But make sure you compare the total cash cost to a cash booking as JJeffrey said.
And unlike the 24-hour free hold for purchased tickets, you can hold an award four days at no charge.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Prior to airport control, does AA’s system clear SWU/miles and copay upgrade requests in real time, or just a certain time of day each day?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
Prior to airport control, does AA’s system clear SWU/miles and copay upgrade requests in real time, or just a certain time of day each day?
Can happen at any time throughout the day.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Sure, when AA changes the schedule they will typically let you switch to other reasonable alternatives even if there is no longer sAAver award space available. Just give AA a call, tell them that there was a schedule change and the 6:40am departure doesn't work, and ask for the 11:20am flight.

If you happen to get an unhelpful AAgent that is unwilling to switch it or insists that there needs to be sAAver space on the new flights, just HUCA (hang up call again).
Thank you for your reply. I was able to get the flights changed to a much more acceptable time and itinerary, connecting through CLT instead or ORD.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
When I was recently in the AC at DFW in Terminal D, the agent warned me that after April 4th the lounge would only be open to international travelers. I think she assumed that I platinum or higher which would grant me access to the flagship lounge if traveling internationally. I assumed that since that lounge is always pretty full that they were limiting access to the main AC to international travelers to reduce crowding - although I often connect through terminal D on domestic flights... so it's not like folks are intentionally travelling to the club in D. Then I noticed this article https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/dfw...emodel-update/ - which makes it sound like eventually the main AC lounge in D will re-open at some point but in the interim there will only be flagship lounge access in D. Does anyone have any more info or insights? I connect though DFW a lot, and often connect through D, and it seems like as they renovate AC lounges they increase the size and views of the flagship lounge and decease the main AC which seemed to be the case at LAX, which is really unfortunate as they really reduced discounted/free access AC, so most folks there are paying the high annual fee.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAdamE
When I was recently in the AC at DFW in Terminal D, the agent warned me that after April 4th the lounge would only be open to international travelers. I think she assumed that I platinum or higher which would grant me access to the flagship lounge if traveling internationally. I assumed that since that lounge is always pretty full that they were limiting access to the main AC to international travelers to reduce crowding - although I often connect through terminal D on domestic flights... so it's not like folks are intentionally travelling to the club in D.

Then I noticed this article https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/dfw...emodel-update/ - which makes it sound like eventually the main AC lounge in D will re-open at some point but in the interim there will only be flagship lounge access in D.

Does anyone have any more info or insights? I connect though DFW a lot, and often connect through D, and it seems like as they renovate AC lounges they increase the size and views of the flagship lounge and decease the main AC which seemed to be the case at LAX, which is really unfortunate as they really reduced discounted/free access AC, so most folks there are paying the high annual fee.
Has been mentioned elsewhere in the last few days.

Lounge threads:-
Guide to Lounge Changes: Flagship Lounge, Admirals Club, etc.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-2017-a-8.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rge-later.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 21, 2018 at 1:47 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Hi - totally new to the AA program and received the email to purchase mileage which seems to be a pretty good deal. 150K + 115K bonus miles for USD4425. I am based in Singapore, and wondering if it is worth it. No immediate travel requirements so can wait for awards to open up. Is it easy to get flights on partner airlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.