Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Just switched over from DL and having the hardest time tracking EQMs pre-purchase. Seems like this was extremely transparent with DL and not so much with AA...or I'm just slow. Could be both. I've tried a few calculators and spreadsheets listed here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-download.html) but getting varied results.

Does anyone have a better process for calculating EQMs?

Thank you!
What's your route, flight number and did you book with an OTA? I won't start with these spreadsheet as it is just like filing your tax returns with all the short cuts CPA uses.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Gold
SYD Upgrade

First post, so please bear with me as I try to navigate the abbreviations.
I'm about to be AA PLT in March as the result of a challenge. I have about 150K banked miles and an AA Citi Plat MC
I've done international travel before, but used international carriers for bigger seats since I had no status.
I'm going to SYD for the first time in May-Jun (SO is going with me) and am trying to determine best strategy to not be in Y other than paying full fare.

Home airport is RDU.

Advice?

Last edited by trinitydark; Jan 30, 2018 at 11:26 am Reason: add detail
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tfizzle
HI there, I just made Ex Plat for the first time and I'm scheduled to fly friday morning. It was my understanding that ExP clear for upgrades 100 hours prior to the flight. there are still 4 seats left in F for a flight from PDX to PHX, but it hasn't cleared. can someone explain the process and why the upgrade would have have cleared?

thanks in advacne.
If you reached EXP after making the booking you may need to call AA to have them "refresh" your information.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
EP upgrades may clear up to 100 hours out, but your priority within the EP tranche will be ordered by previous 12 month EQD spend and you’ll be on heavily booked flights.

Think about Premium Economy to SYD, AA or QF. IF you get upgraded to Business on AA, it’s nice, but in the meantime you won’t be squished for umpteen hours.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 30, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
What's your route, flight number and did you book with an OTA? I won't start with these spreadsheet as it is just like filing your tax returns with all the short cuts CPA uses.
LOL I have quite a few I want to check. If there's an easier way let me know. Below are a couple examples:

DFW-HKG-DFW (125/126) AA - R/D Fares
HKG-MNL-HKG (913/906) CX - C Fares
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:29 pm

LOL I have quite a few I want to check. If there's an easier way let me know. Below are a couple examples:

DFW-HKG-DFW (125/126) AA - R/D Fares
HKG-MNL-HKG (913/906) CX - C Fares
You'll get it after a couple examples. It's fairly straightforward.

ASSUMING you get these from AA.com and Cathaypacific.com: (If you booked through Chase/Citi/AMEX or corporate travel agent that will be the same for EQM but not for EQD).

For AA flight number flights: follow this table:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

DFW-HKG is about 8100 miles, and you get a 2x multiplier for your fare code (I/D/R). You will earn approximately ~16,000 EQM per segment, so RT you will get about ~32,000 EQM

For CX flight number flights: follow this table (by distance):
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

HKG-MNL is about 700 miles, follow the table "EQM per miles flown" column, you will have a 1.5x multiplier for your fare code (C). You will earn approximately ~1,050 EQM per segment, so RT you will get about ~ 2,100 EQM.

Total will be around 34,000 EQM.
EQD will be slightly harder, but your CX segments should be ~700X25%X2=350 EQD. Plus eligible fares you paid for AA, that will give you your total EQD.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:30 pm

Just switched over from DL and having the hardest time tracking EQMs pre-purchase. Seems like this was extremely transparent with DL and not so much with AA...or I'm just slow. Could be both. I've tried a few calculators and spreadsheets listed here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-download.html) but getting varied results.

Does anyone have a better process for calculating EQMs?

Thank you!
If you purchase via the AA website, all that will be revealed as you purchase. As well, there is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html. Read the Wikipost at the top of the thread for the basics.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you purchase via the AA website, all that will be revealed as you purchase. As well, there is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html. Read the Wikipost at the top of the thread for the basics.
I've gone through ghost bookings numerous times and don't see the EQM views there. :-(
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:58 pm

I've gone through ghost bookings numerous times and don't see the EQM views there. :-(
You have to go through the last step (when you click "I agree to the Terms..."). About 1 screen above that.

Partner airlines will not show in that page unfortunately, unless it's AA code share.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:42 am

I'm flying from MCI - CUN. I am just an AA member, significant other is a gold. I was able to request an upgrade with my upgrade certs being linked to her gold account, so we're on the upgrade list. Can I now call in and change my frequent flyer number to my British Airways number, or will I lose my place on the upgrade list? I need these last segments to go to BA so I can make OneWorld Elite on BA
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:49 am

My Gold status expires today. I have some of those Excellence coupons. But I have a flight tomorrow and the next day (and then return on 2/20-2/21). Can I still give out the coupons (well if they're deserving of it, which based on my last 6 segments, only one got handed out).

I just didn't want to give someone a certificate only to have it not counted because my status expired.
(I'll just make notes of names/flights and email if that's the case).

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hurnik
My Gold status expires today. I have some of those Excellence coupons. But I have a flight tomorrow and the next day (and then return on 2/20-2/21). Can I still give out the coupons (well if they're deserving of it, which based on my last 6 segments, only one got handed out).

I just didn't want to give someone a certificate only to have it not counted because my status expired.
(I'll just make notes of names/flights and email if that's the case).

Thanks!
Yes, you can give out the coupons whenever you want, you don't need to have status.
hurnik likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MCIdave
I'm flying from MCI - CUN. I am just an AA member, significant other is a gold. I was able to request an upgrade with my upgrade certs being linked to her gold account, so we're on the upgrade list. Can I now call in and change my frequent flyer number to my British Airways number, or will I lose my place on the upgrade list? I need these last segments to go to BA so I can make OneWorld Elite on BA
If the upgrades are coming from your account then you need your AAdvantage number attached to the reservation in order to pull them. Just wait until the airport, then ask the gate AAgent to change to your BA#.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:34 pm

Another random - but I guess related question.

Let's say I want all my miles and flights credited to my AA account, so I always use that number when purchasing and checking in to flights. However, I'm a one world Ruby through British airways. How would one get a free bag checked??? Or does AA and my AA number somehow know I'm a one world Ruby through British Airways
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MCIdave
Another random - but I guess related question.

Let's say I want all my miles and flights credited to my AA account, so I always use that number when purchasing and checking in to flights. However, I'm a one world Ruby through British airways. How would one get a free bag checked??? Or does AA and my AA number somehow know I'm a one world Ruby through British Airways
The AA - BA nexus isn’t that capable. Show your BAEC Bronze card at the check-in counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.