Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by marauders4
I've been designated travel coordinated for my girlfriend and her family. They have 3 traveling to Europe. They have acquired points through sign-up bonuses and plan to fly Economy there for 30k points (60k RT).

The question they/I have is can I change 1 of 3 to Business (57.5k points) after purchasing the economy for 30k?

I dont' want to get charged the $150 cancel/rebook fee but haven't found any info on a reward to reward upgrade

Thanks

Along with others comments, you cannot upgrade unless there is 57.5k sAAver availability on the flights you want. And be careful that the inventory is on AA and not BA, unless you are comfortable paying very high taxes.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by marauders4
I've been designated travel coordinated for my girlfriend and her family. They have 3 traveling to Europe. They have acquired points through sign-up bonuses and plan to fly Economy there for 30k points (60k RT).

The question they/I have is can I change 1 of 3 to Business (57.5k points) after purchasing the economy for 30k?

I dont' want to get charged the $150 cancel/rebook fee but haven't found any info on a reward to reward upgrade

Thanks
Originally Posted by shimps1
Along with others comments, you cannot upgrade unless there is 57.5k sAAver availability on the flights you want. And be careful that the inventory is on AA and not BA, unless you are comfortable paying very high taxes.
And from LHR, there is the higher APD for premium cabins; you will have to pay the difference when upgrading.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines, AAdvantage
Award Connection Question

I would like to fly out of IAD on QR, but need to get to DC from NYC. Since AA does not fly into IAD, is it possible to fly NYC-DCA and then IAD-DOH all on one award ticket? Is an airport transfer like that allowed?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tcd2002
I would like to fly out of IAD on QR, but need to get to DC from NYC. Since AA does not fly into IAD, is it possible to fly NYC-DCA and then IAD-DOH all on one award ticket? Is an airport transfer like that allowed?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is allowed and is a valid routing.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:23 am

AA saver flights to Europe disappeared?

I've been checking AA over the past few weeks to get an idea of whats available in business class for Sept next year to Europe. I'm trying to fly on AA metal to avoid BA's charges. I thought I had found a good deal by changing my arrival city to TXL and found AA availability for almost every day in August (I was hoping the trend would continue into Sept). Most other cities at least had AA availability on Monday or Tuesday flights. Suddenly last night, everything in saver on AA has disappeared. June through Sept are anytime awards only. Ive tried changing departure city and arrival city and still can't find anything to anywhere in Europe in U on AA. And even the BA flights are now crappy routings.

I've got no status on any airline, just wanting to take the last 10 years of casual flying miles and take my wife to Europe. Just wondering if this is just a computer hiccup or booking idiosyncrasy and the flights should come back up, or did AA just suddenly get rid of all saver availability to Europe?

Last edited by dsb8920; Oct 5, 2018 at 1:29 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dsb8920
I've been checking AA over the past few weeks to get an idea of whats available in business class for Sept next year to Europe. I'm trying to fly on AA metal to avoid BA's charges. I thought I had found a good deal by changing my arrival city to TXL and found AA availability for almost every day in August (I was hoping the trend would continue into Sept). Most other cities at least had AA availability on Monday or Tuesday flights. Suddenly last night, everything in saver on AA has disappeared. June through Sept are anytime awards only. Ive tried changing departure city and arrival city and still can't find anything to anywhere in Europe in U on AA. And even the BA flights are now crappy routings.

I've got no status on any airline, just wanting to take the last 10 years of casual flying miles and take my wife to Europe. Just wondering if this is just a computer hiccup or booking idiosyncrasy and the flights should come back up, or did AA just suddenly get rid of all saver availability to Europe?
For something that far off it's most likely a computer or inventory hiccup, this happens with AA from time to time, especially if you're seeing all sAAver space disappear over an entire 4 month block of time. It will most likely come back, so keep an eye on it.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For something that far off it's most likely a computer or inventory hiccup, this happens with AA from time to time, especially if you're seeing all sAAver space disappear over an entire 4 month block of time. It will most likely come back, so keep an eye on it.
Thank you. I've been watching it for a month or so waiting for 331 days out and panicked a little when it all disappeared. I'm too tall to sleep on a TATL in coach and was afraid I'd have to either eat a BA surcharge on a lousy route or buy more miles. Neither one sounded good.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tcd2002

Thanks in advance.
Don't know if it helps, but QR also serves PHL, which has AA flights from LGA/JFK.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Is there a general minimum time before departure to check luggage for a domestic flight? In case it matters, it's at JFK.
I'm arriving via QR, but on a different ticket. There's a AA flight leaving a little less than 2 hours later, which is cutting it very close but might be worth trying, given that I'm Global Entry and both are in the same Terminal.
I have a later flight already on Delta in case I don't make it.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by matt85
Is there a general minimum time before departure to check luggage for a domestic flight? In case it matters, it's at JFK.
I'm arriving via QR, but on a different ticket. There's a AA flight leaving a little less than 2 hours later, which is cutting it very close but might be worth trying, given that I'm Global Entry and both are in the same Terminal.
The cutoff for checking bags for a domestic flight is 45 minutes. For an international flight, 60 minutes. If you can get QR to tag through, then you wouldn't have to worry about AA's baggage cutoffs. It would depend on QR's policies on checking bags through on separate tickets (AA won't, but QR might so I recommend asking on the QR board).
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
45 minutes before scheduled departure time:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/arrival-times.jsp
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:01 am

Thanks. I'm already over the Atlantic, 3 hours out, so too late to ask for check through :-)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thanks. I'm already over the Atlantic, 3 hours out, so too late to ask for check through :-)
Then good luck!! Hope you are enjoying QR!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One option is to see if AA will allow you the benefit of Late Arrival Standby (also referred to as the “flat tire rule”) if you arrive late. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsb8920
Thank you. I've been watching it for a month or so waiting for 331 days out and panicked a little when it all disappeared. I'm too tall to sleep on a TATL in coach and was afraid I'd have to either eat a BA surcharge on a lousy route or buy more miles. Neither one sounded good.
There was a time when booking 331 days out gave you the best shot of premium cabin international non rev seats. The trend has been for AA to follow JL practice and keep seats in reserve until closer to departure. If you are not CK or EXP, your best bet is to either check every week on your chosen flughts or take out an expertflyer subscription and they will mail you when availability opens up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.