Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is AA's nastiest gate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by schertz
I’d second the nomination of the whole CLT Airport. The whole operation: angry low rent customers...had to dodge a profanity strewn near fistfight on the way to the AC the other day in a completely crammed terminal with the ceiling out presumably for replacement or we could only hope for demolition, surly unhelpful LUS agents, garbage old LUS Airbi, the apparent lack of any business travelers except those whose business involves golf and colored pants (and not the BA Galleries First type of colored pants folks). Then the ends of A and B where there are approximately 4 738/321 gates on each where there is space for about one...barely individual boarding lanes let alone any type of priority lane. Kind of like the circle AA shares with virgin at EWR...yuck...but that is a second-tier outstation and CLT is their primary southern domestic transit hub.

To echo AANTC1981: what a garbage operation. The whole LUS thing (with the notable exception of the stews, who I’ve found to be almost universally better than LAA’s) oozes nasty, cheap, and low-rent.
Yep. The only time I have not hated CLT was when I was a DL guy. I now try my best to go in and out of GSO. It seems to work for most of my travel.

Edit to add..... I wouldn't pass as a business traveler, but I can count on one hand how many times I have flown for personal reasons. I just prefer shorts and a t shirt.
schertz likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by salut0

Where did you read this? Would be interested to see what they said.

And yes, it is a bus gate.
It was a.net on a thread about the Terminal B consolidation. Someone who sounded like they work at LGA (either for AA or the airport) posted it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Originally Posted by bse118
Please tell me. How can we identify a business traveler by the color of their clothing?

CLT is a great airport to connect through. The operation almost always runs efficiently; and its less likely to impacted by significant delays than many other AA hubs. It's one of the few airport where I am perfectly happy to take a 35 minute connection. Sure the facilities are a outdated and a bit crowded (they are working on both of those things...), but who cares if I am not spending any time there?

Hardly compares to the 35X hellhole or the national embarrassment that is LGA.

Oh, and this thread had somewhow managed to go 43 posts without a pointless off-topic rant about managment LUS/LAA ...so thanks for that contribution.
I'll take LGA any day (espeically now that all LAA and LUS ops are in the same terminal, if not concourse) to the depressing mess that is CLT.

I'm also aware of most folks hatred of bus gates -- I'm in the tiny minority (and I know this and am not trying to evangelize on this point) who actually prefers them ... I love walking on the ramp up to the airplane ... but that is my own preference.

Point taken...looks aren't everything or even most things...but I find that the passenger mix in CLT contributes to my negative experience at that airport relative to other AA hubs. I have a similar reaction to PHX.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Originally Posted by Head

Yep. The only time I have not hated CLT was when I was a DL guy. I now try my best to go in and out of GSO. It seems to work for most of my travel.

Edit to add..... I wouldn't pass as a business traveler, but I can count on one hand how many times I have flown for personal reasons. I just prefer shorts and a t shirt.
That's similar to what my brother always says as a DL flyer: CLT is fine ... if you're going there on DL
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
CLT is a great airport to connect through. The operation almost always runs efficiently; and its less likely to impacted by significant delays than many other AA hubs. It's one of the few airport where I am perfectly happy to take a 35 minute connection. Sure the facilities are a outdated and a bit crowded (they are working on both of those things...), but who cares if I am not spending any time there?
This too has been my experience across dozens of connections.

I'll take an on-time ride home over my preferred pant color on other pax any day.
bse118 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Another vote for the "X" zone at 35X. What a mess.

Reminds me of the crappy C16 gates when AA Eagle had its operation at RDU back in the early 1990s.

Whomever complained about the "E" gates at MIA fails to recognize that access to the "E" gates means access to that Admirals Club/premium 1W lounge there. That experience more than makes up for the lack of amenities in the E concourse.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:49 pm

35X is terrible. I'd rather fly through Charlotte on any day. I've started flying on Delta out of DCA just to avoid it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by schertz
I’d second the nomination of the whole CLT Airport. The whole operation: angry low rent customers...had to dodge a profanity strewn near fistfight on the way to the AC the other day in a completely crammed terminal with the ceiling out presumably for replacement or we could only hope for demolition, surly unhelpful LUS agents, garbage old LUS Airbi, the apparent lack of any business travelers except those whose business involves golf and colored pants (and not the BA Galleries First type of colored pants folks). Then the ends of A and B where there are approximately 4 738/321 gates on each where there is space for about one...barely individual boarding lanes let alone any type of priority lane. Kind of like the circle AA shares with virgin at EWR...yuck...but that is a second-tier outstation and CLT is their primary southern domestic transit hub.

To echo AANTC1981: what a garbage operation. The whole LUS thing (with the notable exception of the stews, who I’ve found to be almost universally better than LAA’s) oozes nasty, cheap, and low-rent.
oh dear...CLT is crowded, but your judgmental DYKWIA-style post made me want to take a shower.
dls25, bse118 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'd say the nastiest was the pair of AA gates in the former US Airways terminal at LGA. The gates were added at the side of the escalators leading to baggage claim. The space wasn't meant for a gate, but AA just crammed them in. Now they're gone, with the change to the central terminal, though.
I assume you mean in Terminal C. Which gates were these?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by salut0

I assume you mean in Terminal C. Which gates were these?
IIRC, they were C40/C41/C42
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This thread made me think, AA has some pretty terrible gates at all airports, is this just luck of the draw or is AA too cheap?

Anyway I can see 35X at DCA being bad, but I have no opinion as my one time using it was on an arriving flight and we got a bus to ourselves so.

CLT is a decent operation, although I have personally witnessed those Dash 8 Terminal E gates become cluster you know whats, but fortunately I've always been at gates away from it.

I took my last AA flight out of LGA in October until the new terminal is built. I refuse to fly with them out of the cesspool that is their operation in Terminal B. Arriving, maybe but departing no. I'll either go to JFK or fly another air carrier out of LGA.

I don't know if they resolved it, but their operations out of MCO after the merger was also awful, with flights operations out of different airsides.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
ok , good reading so far, so let me jump in, any gate AA has where there a mob of passengers trying to board out of order, making it almost impossible to board when you group is called
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:13 am

I don't go through CLT often and have never had to use the E gates, but I've always found CLT to be fine. Nothing special but fine. A constant mass of humanity everywhere, but functional.

Mind you, LGA is my main airport, so perhaps I don't have high standards.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This thread made me think, AA has some pretty terrible gates at all airports, is this just luck of the draw or is AA too cheap?
I think a lot of it may just have to do with the overall design of the airports. I know a lot of us have been complaining about some of the Eagle gates, whether it be 35X at DCA, Concourse E at CLT, or the Eagle's Nest at LAX. Unfortunately, those are just part of the airport's design (and not necessarily exclusive to AA). For example, I think the "High-B" gates at DEN for United Express flights are a true nightmare.

Of course, not all Eagle/commuter gates have to be bad. DFW, ORD, PHX (to name a few) have Eagle flights in the main terminals that don't require bus trips or walking outside.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
IIRC, they were C40/C41/C42
You are referring to the ones literally 5 feet from the exit of security to C baggage claim right? Yeah those were pretty awful, close to 35X for me but at least you don't have to take a bus out to those planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.