Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is AA's nastiest gate?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EP
I vote for all of LGA. Every single last one of AA's gates at that despicable excuse of an airport is abominable.

It's.
So.
Bad.
chitink and Uncle Nonny like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I don't know if they resolved it, but their operations out of MCO after the merger was also awful, with flights operations out of different airsides.
I hate how they do the SFO operations. Checkin, baggage claim in Terminal 2, but LUS flights are in Terminal 1, which means a horrible walk. I will avoid those flights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Surely DCA's 35X has to be a top contender for this prize...
Or, as I call it, "The Pit of Despair"
apeortdz and E55 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Dilly dilly!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
My summer of mileage running to PTY in 2016 introduced me to the D60 gates at MIA.

You take the escalator DOWN, and that is so appropriate. About 800 people, standing in a mosh pit. Gate agents that literally ignore the passengers while they talk among themselves in Spanish. Don't get too excited when your boarding group is called and you have your pass scanned, because once you reach the door of the aircraft you will be stopped and asked to wait in line outside because the plane is not quite ready for passengers. Try to ignore the 95% humidity as you stand in that line.

The entire experience is the closest you'll ever come to Havana without actually flying to Cuba.
You left out the D60 cacophony of the multiple crossover of announcements for several flights all leaving at the same time and terrible bathrooms. It's like a Greyhound bus station.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by taxatty56
You left out the D60 cacophony of the multiple crossover of announcements for several flights all leaving at the same time and terrible bathrooms. It's like a Greyhound bus station.
There's toilets down there?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
CLT B gates (especially the higher numbers) are too packed with pax, especially in the morning when several flts depart nearly 'simultaneously'--it is hard to find out which line is for a particular gate. The B gate AC is small and crowded and has, for me, a depressing ambiance; one would not want to make a 35 minute connection from B to E. Most of the time one of the moving walkways is out of service. On the other hand the D concourse is wide and spacious; the AC is similarly "nice", rarely crowded (like the B AC). On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate B "minus" 2, D a 7.
At LGA the US dept. terminal was much nicer than the Central terminal from which all AA flts now depart. I'm anxious to see how much things will improve when the construction is completed...knowing how NYC (especially PA) public works projects really take to complete, 2100 seems like a good guess.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by jcatman
There's toilets down there?
Anything can be a toilet if you try hard enough.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by taxatty56
But at 35X at DCA you get cacophony plus you get to ride on an actual bus!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Gate 24 at LHR is always annoying when I see it pop up as our departure gate.

Bussing to a 77W really reduces the whole "going for great" thing in international J.

...though getting to board from the ground of the majestic 777 is a small plus there.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
it sounds like in terms of quantity, the lovely PHL, might have the most nasty gates:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...a-clean-filth/
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wait until you see KEF...

Chaos at the check-in desks with redoubling queues.

Lengthy corridors remaining on of a military Airport / base (which it was).

Baggage delivery is so bad they recommend you browse the shops.

The most pampered passengers are in the interminable boxes of Icelandic cod being loaded on the many FI aircraft.

If you love 757s, though, you’re in 757 Valhalla.
econometrics likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by JDiver
Wait until you see KEF...

Chaos at the check-in desks with redoubling queues.

Lengthy corridors remaining on of a military Airport / base (which it was).

Baggage delivery is so bad they recommend you browse the shops.

The most pampered passengers are in the interminable boxes of Icelandic cod being loaded on the many FI aircraft.

If you love 757s, though, you’re in 757 Valhalla.
KEF Terminal looks relatively new from the photos I see online. Also, from the aerial view it seems that the pier only has about ten jetbridges so how is that a huge long distance to walk? AA’s gates at LHR or even JFK would seem much further and longer jetbridges.

What’s the relevance of your mention of a military base?

And do all or almost all airlines fly 757s to KEF? If so, why?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My vote goes for D60 in MIA...I'd like to meet the brainiac who thought an outdoor terminal in Miami would be a good idea. Nothing like walking on to the plane drenched in sweat from the humidity.
E55 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA
CLT. E 35. 3 gates through one door with a walk on the ramp to the airplane which is only partially covered during inclement weather.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.