Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is AA's nastiest gate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: VX, AA, Amex Platinum,Amex Gold, HHonors Diamond , Marriott Plat Elite, Chase CSP
That Bus hangar shenanigans is the THE worst. I used it all the time when flying from LAX to SAN. Switched to VX at the time to avoid it. Yeesh...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by arc727
How about the E35/E38 gates at CLT? Miles from civilization, jam packed among a bunch of other gates with flights leaving within 10 minutes of each other...the reward, of course, going outside, down a rickety wooden ramp, walking along a fence under a temporary canopy, and stepping onto a wonderful Dash 8!
One of the reasons why I don't fly American more often is because of those E gates in CLT. Makes for my least favorite hub connector flying out of my local airports.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Count me in for 35X at DCA. I already didn't like it much, but two summers ago when flying DCA-JFK they loaded us all up at D-30, we were jammed probably 50 people in 85 degree weather and sat there for about 25 minutes sweating are arses off, barely any air, then we drive over to the planes, do a lap, and drive back without a word. Oh joy it was maintenance. We all had to get off and do it all over again 20 min later.

Screw that tormenting gate 35X.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Surely DCA's 35X has to be a top contender for this prize...
I thought it was universally understood that this is the correct answer.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Head
CLT B-(add your own number) or C-(add your own number). It's not so much the gate..... it's the whole airport.

They did make it a little better by removing the sure to run over you golf carts. But at the end of the day it is still a dump that is labeled as a hub.
It may not be pretty but there is a lot to be said that one can make a 40 minute connection about 90% of the time with a stop for a couple drinks in the AC. CLT is still, in my opinion, the most functional of the hubs. And yes, that's even including the E gates, because the comparables to CLT E are PHL F, DCA 35X, and other unpleasant things.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Any LUS hub gates/airports...I wish we had an option to de-select these airports like on Delta when searching for flights. Such a garbage airline/merger.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've never been to DCA, but my two nominations are as follow
The American Eagle remote terminal at LAX. Actually quite a comfortable gate and terminal, but last time I went there it took me over 25 minutes to get there after passing security. That's just ridiculous
The LGA gates (C?) without any F&B venues

I'm going to try to avoid being petty and nominating AA's KOA gate in a storm...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Surely DCA's 35X has to be a top contender for this prize...
35X never fails to be a clusterf-. It made me giddy when they announced it's going away.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by salut0
I'd argue that Terminal B at LGA gate D9 wins the prize: down a set of stairs, inaccessible by elevator (presumably against ADA requirements), no bathroom accesss and no stores selling food or anything else available.

Which airline used to use this gate before AA took it over? Or was it built recently as a specially cheap lean-to at the bottom of what looks like a former emergency exit set of fire stairs?

Other candidates for nastiest AA gate? Tell us our stories and identify the airport, the gate and if it is still in use or is no longer.
Reminds me of a Greyhound station in a small town. Although, admittedly, I do enjoy the short walk to the airplane on the tarmac.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JDiver
Bus from the hangar at LAX?
I hoped that this one would be posted here....
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:03 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Any of the MIA concourse E satellite gates.
rayfes likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by knit-in
Reminds me of a Greyhound station in a small town. Although, admittedly, I do enjoy the short walk to the airplane on the tarmac.

Does it have those tv's you drop a quarter in to watch too?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by knit-in
We had no short walk. At LGA terminal B gate D9 yesterday we took a bus to the plane was parked outside the old brick hangar AA use the other side of which you can see when driving or taking the bus back from LGA to the city.

And then we had to walk up a narrow, sloping ramp to the ERJ we were flying on. Weird on many counts. Aside from the fact that priority boarding onto a bus means that you get on the plane last, it was a nasty experience.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
I read that D9F/D9G (as they are calling it) was build out after the AA terminal consolidation was announced.

Regarding ADA, isn't D9 a bus gate where you have to walk up the stairs of the plane? I presume AA just won't use D9 for flights with passengers who have mobility issues.
Where did you read this? Would be interested to see what they said.

And yes, it is a bus gate.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Clearly you folks have never flown out of BPT ;-)
I googled it: it's a tiny airport presumably with EAS, whose only airline is AA (Eagle? Connection?) and which mainly serves general aviation. I'd have been surprised if there were many amenities there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.