Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle cubby (underseat) space protocol

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I put my bag there and don't feel I should have to ask for permission. First come, first serve. As others said, it frees up overhead bin space and I need to get to my bag during the flight easily as I am almost always in the window.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser
I view it as first come, first served space.
Well, now you're just encouraging gate lice.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm surprised I'm yet to see this surface on FT

I view it as first come, first served space.

I like to throw my over the shoulder bag in that spot on the 738s, but it doesn't fit on the newer Airbus shorthaul seating configs. I normally try to board amongst the first in F, primarily because I normally travel with a rollerbag too that obviously needs to go in the OH locker.
Assuming we are talking about F, why is it different from the other underseat space in front of your seat? Is all underseat space first come first serve? The space being taken is clearly in front of someone else's seat.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Assuming we are talking about F, why is it different from the other underseat space in front of your seat? Is all underseat space first come first serve? The space being taken is clearly in front of someone else's seat.
Well, the way this person has chosen to orientate the bag means it is slightly encroaching into the neighbour's seat space. However, I put it in length ways rather than side ways and so it clearly isn't in someone else's seat/leg area. By the nature of the seat design that sits under the drinks table armrest area, it's a no man's land and it doesn't necessarily belong to either person.

Both aisle and window seat passenger have the same amount of legroom and leg space and the way I position the bag means nobody loses out on anything, that's unless you want to splay your legs out across a much wider space which is something I've never seen anyone do in narrowbody F!

I think by now across the hundreds of flights that I've done this nobody has one whinged about it and if this was remotely contentious. I can't even do it on the newer A320 family seats because the plastic portion comes down too far. I'll take a photo on my next 738 flight on Monday so we can restart the debate then on that a/c type
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA , 3MM, CK, Marriott Titanim
It is very interesting to read these comments... IMO they very much line up with what you see on a plane... some people just don't care about how the other person may feel.... (first come ,first served)...others go out of there way to be polite... I agree with the stance on if you have the window seat you should put it in front of you vs taking up the aisle persons leg space...

but to each his own... as I see on flights every week...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
When I'm in the Aisle and have to use the middle due to the minimal cubby I always will alert the person that's why it's there just out of common courtesy as well as call out that they can use the middle if I'm in the window due to the size. So no it doesn't bother me if someone does it without asking, I just don't do it without asking or alerting and have never had anyone say "no please don't do that". What bothers me more is people that come onto a plane and put their stuff over the seat across the aisle when the overheads over their space is open. I see it a lot both in FC and coach usually by the group 1 people. They sit in the AC/ABC side and while their overhead is completely empty they put their stuff on the DF/DEF side. I mean in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but it bugs me each time I see it for some strange reason.
Some people do this because they want to be able to see their belongings during the flight. It makes it much less likely that someone could steal something during the flight.
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some people do this because they want to be able to see their belongings during the flight. It makes it much less likely that someone could steal something during the flight.
I agree with this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes I take that space for my computer bag because I don't like to put it in the OH bin only to see multiple people who just take it upon themselves to move my bag to make room for their own oversize bag that won't fit unless they jam it in 4-5 times.

The easy thing to do when you do use this space with a bag like the one in the photo is to just move it after takeoff to sit upright behind your feet. Now the space is open and you can access your bag at will. Problem solved.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by asf-07
This picture was taken in first class, where there is no middle seat.
The phrase "middle seat" exists nowhere in my post. Do you not think there is a middle space in the picture? There's space on one side, space on the other side, what do you call the space in the, ummm..., between the two other spaces?

My question stands - with no middle seat, did OP somehow reserve the middle, ummm...., "luggage storage cubby" that he should be offended that someone else is using it?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Except for when you did:
I laughed when I read your post and then half a second later received an outlook alert pop-up from an email titled "We will never forget." It's a 9/11 email that starts out "On this day..."
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Certainly never thought of this. I guess I'm alert if someone is rummaging around right above me as well but they could get a pair of my socks when I wasn't looking. Good to know that may be why they do it.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I get that. However, if it comes down to a pax wanting to see their belongings in the "middle space" versus me having room for my feet/legs under the potion of the middle space that's in front of my seat, that pax would be using the space in front of their seat for their belongings.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by enviroian
The guy next to me put his bag in the middle space. Would this bother you.
Yes, that's unacceptable. I'd request the guy to shift it. I'm an easy going person but that's partly in the space I need for one of my feet in F given that my laptop bag will be directly under the seat in front of me.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I put my bag there and don't feel I should have to ask for permission. First come, first serve. As others said, it frees up overhead bin space and I need to get to my bag during the flight easily as I am almost always in the window.
This is how I viewed it the few times I've put my small camera bag there. If asked politely I'd certainly move it. Be a jerk about it and it almost certainly stays there.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I think by now across the hundreds of flights that I've done this nobody has one whinged about it
Well, after writing this a few days I took my first flight where someone asked me to move my bag

I was in 4F on a 738 and was amongst the first onboard so put my bag in the no mans land. When I came back from the toilet the guy told me to put my bag (regular Tumi over the shoulder) under the seat in front of me. Based on the tone of his request I told him I wasn't going to do that (it was certainly not intruding in his foot area) and he "offered" to put the bag in the overhead. I told him I wanted the bag because there were items I needed during the flight. I did stand the bag up (which it could just about manage) to mildly placate him.

He had a small backpack that he put under the seat in front but on the aisle side then sat with his legs at an angle the whole time in an effort to "claim" as much space as he could. People are weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.