Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle cubby (underseat) space protocol

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:08 pm

I usually take off my shoes as soon as I get to my seat. If I'm in F, I'll usually put one shoe in my underseat area, and the other one in the middle underseat area (nearest my side). Problem solved, with no discourtesy (since I'm only using 20% of the space).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think of the middle underseat space in FC as shared space. I don't ask to put something on my side, but I always position my stuff so that it doesn't prevent my seatmate from having space to stretch one leg/foot there. Similarly, if my seatmate takes the entire space (regardless of who has window or aisle), I would ask the person to move the item in order to let me use some of the space.
this is the right approach.

is it ok if I put my foot on his bag? I think not, but that is what he is inviting by being selfish.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

I don't see the problem - both pax still have plenty of foot space.

Once on AA however I had a funny occurence of the pax in front believing the space under their own seat belonged to them. They put two pairs of shoes there. I tried to get their attention (ignored me, listening to headphones), so I kicked them back out the other side.

They did it once more, and I kicked them out immediately again. He got the message after that
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I don't see the problem - both pax still have plenty of foot space.
I do see a problem. I'm 6'5" with large feet (13/14 Wide). I routinely use the "middle space" in F for whichever foot of mine is not under the seat directly in front of me. All the while I don't violate an imaginary dividing line midway between the two F seats. I've encountered folks stowing their bags in the middle space previously and it created an issue for me "stowing" my feet . I politely ask them to stow their bag elsewhere and they always have.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I do see a problem. I'm 6'5" with large feet (13/14 Wide). I routinely use the "middle space" in F for whichever foot of mine is not under the seat directly in front of me. All the while I don't violate an imaginary dividing line midway between the two F seats. I've encountered folks stowing their bags in the middle space previously and it created an issue for me "stowing" my feet . I politely ask them to stow their bag elsewhere and they always have.
I'm only 5-11 and I still need that space. If I put my leg straight out, that's where it winds up.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
The guy next to me put his bag in the middle space. Would this bother you. FWIW there is plenty of space above.
The only thing that bothers me is the decrepitness of the bag
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
....and the inconsistency in not kicking off the customer who dared to take a photo on board the aircraft without receiving written permission in advance. Ask the blogger MattLAX about that situation.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
You should have seen his massive rollerboard he pulled from the overhead. It was completely torn and filthy.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA- Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Elite Conceirge
I have have never actually thought much about this. It happens often on my flights though.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I'm surprised I'm yet to see this surface on FT

I view it as first come, first served space.

I like to throw my over the shoulder bag in that spot on the 738s, but it doesn't fit on the newer Airbus shorthaul seating configs. I normally try to board amongst the first in F, primarily because I normally travel with a rollerbag too that obviously needs to go in the OH locker.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
When I'm in the Aisle and have to use the middle due to the minimal cubby I always will alert the person that's why it's there just out of common courtesy as well as call out that they can use the middle if I'm in the window due to the size. So no it doesn't bother me if someone does it without asking, I just don't do it without asking or alerting and have never had anyone say "no please don't do that". What bothers me more is people that come onto a plane and put their stuff over the seat across the aisle when the overheads over their space is open. I see it a lot both in FC and coach usually by the group 1 people. They sit in the AC/ABC side and while their overhead is completely empty they put their stuff on the DF/DEF side. I mean in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but it bugs me each time I see it for some strange reason.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:57 pm
Suspended

I never said he needs to ask my permission (??).
Except for when you did:
What bothers me isn't necessarily the bag there itself it's the assumption of the dude who didn't ask if it was okay.
josmul123 and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Except for when you did:
My point was common courtesy
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The aisle cubbyhole is often too small for a standard personal item. The protocol I use (for domestic narrow body FC) is middle slot for the aisle seat and the window slot for the window seat. By choice I sit in the window seat.

What bothers me are people who put their personal items in the overhead. It's frustrating to not be able to store your rollaboard because the overhead is full of purses, backpacks, and briefcases.
I agree and do what the picture shows all the time. If someone brings two bags onboard one better be at their feet but seems few adhere to this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
He didn't ask.
Are you attracted to said guy?

If no, step on said bag to assert dominance.
If yes, step on said bag to assert dominance.

But seriously though, I would step on the bag if he just assumed I'm cool with him putting the bag there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.