Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle cubby (underseat) space protocol

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
the window seat has full under-seat storage space. the aisle seat does not. this center under-seat section should first be reserved first for personal item storage of the person in the aisle seat (assuming it isn't a tiny bag that fits in the tiny space next to the aisle). If the person in the aisle seat doesn't have an under-seat personal item, I think it is generally ok for the window seat person to use the middle space. In this pictured instance, I would turn the briefcase sideways to leave the aisle seat person a little leg room in the middle section.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by asf-07
the window seat has full under-seat storage space. the aisle seat does not. this center under-seat section should first be reserved first for personal item storage of the person in the aisle seat (assuming it isn't a tiny bag that fits in the tiny space next to the aisle).
Can you cite the published AA policy that reserves the space in this way?

If the OP doesn't like the lesser foot room and storage space immediately in front of his aisle seat he shouldn't reserve an aisle seat. As with overhead space above one's row: First come, first served.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't in my way. Makes sense for someone with a window seat to not want to have to keep disturbing someone to get access to their bag.
Grog likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have reserved the under seat storage space for the middle seat, you should certainly raise a fuss with a FA. If you have not, it is not "your" space and the early bird, e.g., the other guy got the worm.

If your bag won't fit in the proper space, e.g. seat in front of you and there is space under an adjoining empty seat, it is between you and AA as to whether you may use that space. The other passenger has no say.

Having said this, there is such a thing as courtesy and making clear what you are doing before you do it. And having said this, there are those shoes worn by the assassin the "From Russia With Love" which contain a knife blade which extends from the toe and might be useful !
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

If the OP doesn't like the lesser foot room and storage space immediately in front of his aisle seat he shouldn't reserve an aisle seat. As with overhead space above one's row: First come, first served.
I said should be, not is. But then I can't cite a published policy on reading comprehension either.
Grog likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I was in 4F
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold

When was a claim made here of a published AA policy?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
The guy next to me put his bag in the middle space. Would this bother you. FWIW there is plenty of space above.
Would not bother me. Did it bother you? And why (or why not)?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:38 pm

I was in 4F
Is this the 32B or the 738? I know on the LUS321 there is limited room in the aisle cubby, but this one clearly has IFE screens so it has to be one of the other aircraft.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Did you have the middle space reserved? If so, then yes, he is using space that is yours.

If no - what rights do you have that he needs to ask your permission?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asf-07
Is this the 32B or the 738? I know on the LUS321 there is limited room in the aisle cubby, but this one clearly has IFE screens so it has to be one of the other aircraft.

It was a 320 I have never been on before...32S Sharklets. The plane had the new IFE screens like the newer 738's have. Very cool. Funny to see this deployed on such a short flight (SAT-DFW).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Did you have the middle space reserved? If so, then yes, he is using space that is yours.

This picture was taken in first class, where there is no middle seat. The issue at hand is that on some aircraft, the underseat storage space is not equally divided into 3 sections... instead one of the two seats has standard underseat space, the "middle" section has standard underseat space, and the other seat has what amounts to a half space. It appears the OP was in the seat with half space, thus the discussion on how to handle these situations.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What bothers me isn't necessarily the bag there itself it's the assumption of the dude who didn't ask if it was okay. I have used that space before but only after asking "do you mind? I can put it up if it's a problem".
I'm 6'4" / 196; if I'm stuck in the middle seat and someone is that presumptuous I will speak to them.

(In First, the aisle space may be quite small - in that case if I'm in the window seat I expect the middle space will be used by my aisle seat mate, or by me if I'm in the aisle seat.)

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 11, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:54 pm

If it bothers you say something... I sometimes do this with my backpack when sitting in a window seat so I could access my laptop/docs without disturbing neighbor. More than happy to move if asked.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich

I never said he needs to ask my permission (??).

My post asked what the protocol is for utilizing this space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.