FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1861355-speculation-will-aa-continue-pull-back-nyc.html)

Adelphos Jun 1, 2018 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29818400)
A little love for NYC: LGA-CHS/SAV starts on 8/25!

Is it just me, or is the LGA-CHS flight only offered at noon on Saturday?

This is a party leisure route for weekends in Charleston. Much better if the flight leaves late Friday night or at like 10:00 AM on Saturday. Poor scheduling here

lowfareair Jun 1, 2018 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 29818461)

This is a party leisure route for weekends in Charleston. Much better if the flight leaves late Friday night or at like 10:00 AM on Saturday. Poor scheduling here

Yeah, both CHS/SAV look to be weekend only.

AANYC1981 Jun 1, 2018 3:20 pm

Two of my favorite medium (or small?) sized US cities....I’ll take it. E175 too so should be an easy UPG.

CHOPCHOP767 Jun 3, 2018 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29818778)
<div style="text-align:left;">Two of my favorite medium (or small?) sized US cities....I’ll take it. E175 too so should be an easy UPG.</div>

If it's anything like BOS to these markets (I assume NYC is worse), the "weekend trip" rates are especially high; nearing if not exceeding south Florida prices in winter. I suspect AA's revenue management knows this and probably thinks they can fill the front of the plane up too.

nrr Jun 3, 2018 5:19 pm

I miss the non-stop JFK-ZRH route. When you do a search for JFK to ZRH, two general routes show: (1) JFK-PHL-ZRH or (2) JFK-LHR-ZRH; for (1) there is < 90 minute connection [or departing from LGA 8 hour or 11 hour connections in PHL:td:], but in any event, should the PHL-ZRH be missed, there is NO other way to get to ZRH from PHL, (2) At least BA runs lots of flts to ZRH from LHR, so (2) seems like the best way to get from NYC to ZRH...of course you skip AA and use a NS on another airline.;)

iadisgreat Jun 3, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 29825001)
I miss the non-stop JFK-ZRH route. When you do a search for JFK to ZRH, two general routes show: (1) JFK-PHL-ZRH or (2) JFK-LHR-ZRH; for (1) there is < 90 minute connection [or departing from LGA 8 hour or 11 hour connections in PHL:td:], but in any event, should the PHL-ZRH be missed, there is NO other way to get to ZRH from PHL, (2) At least BA runs lots of flts to ZRH from LHR, so (2) seems like the best way to get from NYC to ZRH...of course you skip AA and use a NS on another airline.;)

From NYC and WAS, AA does not want you to use their metal. The JV directing you to BA is strong. So far, I've fallen in line, but BA stinks so much I'm not sure how much I care to deal with it.

Fanjet Jun 3, 2018 7:58 pm

If one misses the PHL-ZRH flight, they can be put on the later flights to LHR from PHL that day, and then onto LHR-ZRH.

AANYC1981 Jun 3, 2018 7:59 pm

did you also see that ZRH-PHL arrivals now won’t even get a proper gate? They’ll be parking at a remote stand and using those Dulles type people movers from the 60s......goingforgreat just keeps getting worse.

nrr Jun 3, 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 29825387)
If one misses the PHL-ZRH flight, they can be put on the later flights to LHR from PHL that day, and then onto LHR-ZRH.

So then I'd have flown: JFK-PHL-LHR*-ZRH, originally (before the NYC market "downgrade") JFK-ZRH (#64, non-stop) to a 2 stop:td:
*Assuming there are open seats.

CHOPCHOP767 Jun 3, 2018 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29825391)

did you also see that ZRH-PHL arrivals now won’t even get a proper gate? They’ll be parking at a remote stand and using those Dulles type people movers from the 60s......goingforgreat just keeps getting worse.

So, not only do they eliminate JFKZRH, but there's a ppl mover in PHL involved now too? Sorry, but VCE, BUD, ATH as leisure/seasonal routes makes more sense. How do they come up with this?

Dougie and Co. claim they've flown on the 737 Max, but have they flown on BA in any class of service or connected through LHR??? Why invest in an oustanding J and competitive (decent F) only to push pax over to BA?

Star Alliance, and to a lesser extent, Sky Team just makes more and more sense each day...

ckx2 Jun 3, 2018 11:01 pm

As for ZRH-JFK (or vice versa) I've decided to move my business to LX. No way I'm going for a connection on such a short flight.

eponymous_coward Jun 4, 2018 12:03 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 29825550)
Why invest in an oustanding J and competitive (decent F) only to push pax over to BA?

That is the entire point of the TATL JV they have with BA; they share the revenue. “Pushing” to BA means AA still sees a check. It means if AA thinks they have a better use for a plane than JFK-ZRH they can send the traffic to BA and make money flying elsewhere. You may not like it, you may think the CEO is an idiot, AA’s estimation of what the best use of their planes is may be wrong, but there it is.

ckendall Jun 4, 2018 6:40 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat (Post 29825173)
From NYC and WAS, AA does not want you to use their metal. The JV directing you to BA is strong. So far, I've fallen in line, but BA stinks so much I'm not sure how much I care to deal with it.

As a WAS flyer I am feeling this push as well; I have started to fly BA to Europe and I am starting to wonder about the whole point of being an AA elite. I had forgotten what J on the 747 was like, though when F was not that expensive it was sort of fun.

JonNYC Jun 4, 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29825904)

That is the entire point of the TATL JV they have with BA; they share the revenue. “Pushing” to BA means AA still sees a check. It means if AA thinks they have a better use for a plane than JFK-ZRH they can send the traffic to BA and make money flying elsewhere. You may not like it, you may think the CEO is an idiot, AA’s estimation of what the best use of their planes is may be wrong, but there it is.

And with much more to come.

andersonCooper Jun 4, 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29826988)

I'll take that as "the worst is yet to come"...

nrr Jun 4, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29826988)

AA still has a few flts from JFK to LHR (and vv) on AA metal--hence upgradeable via SWUs, will these be removed, leaving the entire JFK-LHR market all to BA*?
PS: Trying tp use miles on BA their fuel surcharges get added.:td:

ijgordon Jun 4, 2018 9:19 am

It's all a shame, especially if it does get worse (in NYC?). I generally like AA (they've all eff'ed me over at some point, even DL-majorly), and I think AAdvantage in combo with OneWorld is pretty good. But they've definitely made it harder to be loyal out of NYC given my flying patterns. My company dropped AA as a preferred carrier, moving from DL/AA to UA/DL, so between that and the nonstop cutbacks it's just become more difficult. Fortunately I just made lifetime Gold, so I'll have something when AA is the best option. But a lot of my EQDs have moved over to DL. Can't say I love that (Skypesos, etc.) but we all just have to weigh a whole bunch of factors in deciding what works best for us. If UA (and EWR) weren't so bad, I'd probably move over to them for Star Alliance.

CHOPCHOP767 Jun 4, 2018 10:07 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29825904)

Thanks for the perspective. Certainly, you're right. I suppose I was lamenting my opinion of BA being such a lousy JV partner. BA's J product is pathetic, the lounges are horrible, on time performance is lacking, and LHR is absolutely atrocious to connect through. Whereas before, JFK was the superior connection opinion for me compared with LHR, when AA had more n/s routes from JFK. Now with the better J class and the lounge situation, to be "pushed" to BA for connections via LHR when AA's service is better all around (never thought I would say that a few years ago) is frustrating.

For international needs ex-BOS, IMO, now it's easier to use Star and connect (if needed) via FRA/MUC/ZRH or SkyTeam via AMS (if needed) then route through LHR with BA.

george 3 Jun 4, 2018 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 29818461)

Perhaps a recent MBA biz school grad assigned to rev mgmt asked to make use of an idle metal came up with this.

andersonCooper Jun 4, 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 29827168)
It's all a shame, especially if it does get worse (in NYC?). I generally like AA (they've all eff'ed me over at some point, even DL-majorly), and I think AAdvantage in combo with OneWorld is pretty good. But they've definitely made it harder to be loyal out of NYC given my flying patterns. My company dropped AA as a preferred carrier, moving from DL/AA to UA/DL, so between that and the nonstop cutbacks it's just become more difficult. Fortunately I just made lifetime Gold, so I'll have something when AA is the best option. But a lot of my EQDs have moved over to DL. Can't say I love that (Skypesos, etc.) but we all just have to weigh a whole bunch of factors in deciding what works best for us. If UA (and EWR) weren't so bad, I'd probably move over to them for Star Alliance.

As much as I hate UA, I have to give them credits for the new lounges at EWR. Given that my location is closer to EWR, I might be biased. OTOH, I am not asking AA for every Europe destinations, but for some major business cities like ZRH and FRA (include PVG for Asia), there isn't any excuse for taking a connection from NYC. And to be perfectly honest, I like LHR as a destination, but hate the extra time taking the connections. Lounges or wonderful inflight experiences can't make up for my lost time (and hence why I don't go to Europe via HKG :p). AA's reasoning is the lower yield pax get worse AC, but 763 for JFK - ZRH is just a joke.

Similarly, if CX moves to *A or introduces lifetime status, I would most likely move my credits to CX.

Blondeonboard Jun 4, 2018 12:02 pm

Business no longer upgraded to First, empty Firsts

Though reservations will tell you otherwise, Transcon LAX-JFK and JFK-LAX now fly with mostly empty firsts. They no longer upgrade paid business class passengers to first when free seats are available in first. Instead they fly with the cabin empty unless the entire flight is oversold. This leaves elites whose businesses/personal life do not allow booking of business class seats to much more limited chances of upgrading to business class, I am stuck in coach on an upgrade wait list with 6 empty seats in first class. I am livid.

I know maybe this seems petty but I am a Platinium with around 7000/year spend. I thought I would get the upgrade. I could happily fly Delta on my LAX-JFK routes to see family. Kinda bummed to miss that terrific Flagship lounge and get stuck in the regular Admirals club lounge (much advertised avocado toast bar totally missing).

AANYC1981 Jun 4, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Blondeonboard (Post 29827851)
Though reservations will tell you otherwise, Transcon LAX-JFK and JFK-LAX now fly with mostly empty firsts. They no longer upgrade paid business class passengers to first when free seats are available in first. Instead they fly with the cabin empty unless the entire flight is oversold. This leaves elites whose businesses/personal life do not allow booking of business class seats to much more limited chances of upgrading to business class, I am stuck in coach on an upgrade wait list with 6 empty seats in first class. I am livid.

I know maybe this seems petty but I am a Platinium with around 7000/year spend. I thought I would get the upgrade. I could happily fly Delta on my LAX-JFK routes to see family. Kinda bummed to miss that terrific Flagship lounge and get stuck in the regular Admirals club lounge (much advertised avocado toast bar totally missing).

It's been that way for over a decade......nothing new.

Blondeonboard Jun 4, 2018 12:17 pm

I prefer to connect through JFK and my romantic partners have all been less impressed if they connect through PHL. Help me out here AA, I need to romance someone with an LAX trip to Europe and going through PHL doesn't cut it.

Blondeonboard Jun 4, 2018 12:18 pm

Circa 2016 they filled first class. I did very well commuting back in forth in June. Now I am stuck in coach. ugh.

AANYC1981 Jun 4, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 29827809)
As much as I hate UA, I have to give them credits for the new lounges at EWR. Given that my location is closer to EWR, I might be biased. OTOH, I am not asking AA for every Europe destinations, but for some major business cities like ZRH and FRA (include PVG for Asia), there isn't any excuse for taking a connection from NYC. And to be perfectly honest, I like LHR as a destination, but hate the extra time taking the connections. Lounges or wonderful inflight experiences can't make up for my lost time (and hence why I don't go to Europe via HKG :p). AA's reasoning is the lower yield pax get worse AC, but 763 for JFK - ZRH is just a joke.

Similarly, if CX moves to *A or introduces lifetime status, I would most likely move my credits to CX.

That's why AA lost the corporate contracts from Credit Suisse et al......between the lack of investment in the 763 over 10 years and the operational nightmare they are....Delta was the clear better option. I said it before, but I would be hating my job if I was in corporate sales for AA based in NYC......there is no positive story to spin to customers these days.....most people are smart enough to know that touting BA/IB is not something to brag about.

I am starting to think AA is digging their own grave in NYC, with the ominous posts from JonNYC about "more to come".

CHOPCHOP767 Jun 4, 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29827897)
It's been that way for over a decade......nothing new.

Agreed. Pretty much the only time I will actually purchase transcon F from JFK on AA is when the fare is cheaper than J, which I've found to be the case not infrequently. There are just more corporate accounts that limit travel to J than those that permit F.

andersonCooper Jun 4, 2018 12:37 pm

Besides what AANYC1981 explained above, you have access to FL lounges (not dinning) on transcon J. As it's a short flight for me I personally don't care about the small difference between J and F for this route.

andersonCooper Jun 4, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29827971)
That's why AA lost the corporate contracts from Credit Suisse et al......between the lack of investment in the 763 over 10 years and the operational nightmare they are....Delta was the clear better option. I said it before, but I would be hating my job if I was in corporate sales for AA based in NYC......there is no positive story to spin to customers these days.....most people are smart enough to know that touting BA/IB is not something to brag about.

I am starting to think AA is digging their own grave in NYC, with the ominous posts from JonNYC about "more to come".

That's what I am afraid of and need to move my TATL travel to another airline. CDG, MXP etc. for my limited vacation time and AA now asks me to take a connection via PHL, CLT or LHR.:mad:

Finsup72 Jun 4, 2018 1:06 pm

I am stuck in coach on an upgrade wait list with 6 empty seats in first class. I am livid.

I could happily fly Delta on my LAX-JFK routes to see family.

So here’s an idea...fly Delta!

nrr Jun 4, 2018 1:38 pm

In an old thread which I started, AA fills FC with non-revs...so they don't go out empty.:p

rossmacd Jun 4, 2018 1:40 pm

If the upgrade was so important, why didn't you pay for it at the time of booking? :confused:

C17PSGR Jun 4, 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Blondeonboard (Post 29827930)
I prefer to connect through JFK and my romantic partners have all been less impressed if they connect through PHL. Help me out here AA, I need to romance someone with an LAX trip to Europe and going through PHL doesn't cut it.

Agreed PHL and CLT just don't cut it!

I'm not living in the NYC area anymore but LAX, JFK, MIA are far better airports to start a journey ... as opposed to a trip. Unfortunately, they're not the best connecting points. PHL and CLT just seem like places to change planes ... no reflecting on the cities, just the environment of the airport.

perseus11 Jun 4, 2018 11:21 pm

All I can say is that there are some very, very, very gullible people in this Forum.:D:D

akarneboge Jun 5, 2018 6:33 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29827971)

Here's something interesting...though this post is mostly about the JFK cuts...have you seen that the E-140's coming back from storage have started to re-appear at LGA? Several routes have now converted.

Cltfc Jun 5, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 29829301)
Agreed PHL and CLT just don't cut it!

I'm not living in the NYC area anymore but LAX, JFK, MIA are far better airports to start a journey ... as opposed to a trip. Unfortunately, they're not the best connecting points. PHL and CLT just seem like places to change planes ... no reflecting on the cities, just the environment of the airport.

Most people could care less where they connect, its price and schedule that matter....... Aside from airports with operational issues, I have never heard anyone say I'm so happy i connected at :JFK, ORD, PHL or CLT for that matter.

tphuang Jun 5, 2018 6:45 am

Originally Posted by akarneboge (Post 29830826)
Here's something interesting...though this post is mostly about the JFK cuts...have you seen that the E-140's coming back from storage have started to re-appear at LGA? Several routes have now converted.

they are flying E-140s out of LGA? Great way to be competitive.

ComplexAnalysis Jun 5, 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by akarneboge (Post 29830826)

Ugh - I have. There are several short hops that I've switched to other airlines as the overall gate-check bag waiting, higher likelihood for IRROPS, and terrible seats even on the solo A side makes these birds not great to fly on.

MIDWESTERNFLYER Jun 5, 2018 7:01 am

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 29830859)
they are flying E-140s out of LGA? Great way to be competitive.

LGA-IND is 2xE140....

morrisunc Jun 5, 2018 7:38 am

YES! And I have been .....ing about it. RDU-LGA is now mostly 140s - used to be mainly 2 class RJs. Delta is all 2 class RJ and even starting mainline on this route soon. NY travelers are too picky to put up with that trash of an aircraft.

IADCAflyer Jun 5, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 29830833)
Most people could care less where they connect, its price and schedule that matter....... Aside from airports with operational issues, I have never heard anyone say I'm so happy i connected at :JFK, ORD, PHL or CLT for that matter.

Donno. I basically refuse to fly through ORD except for very short windows in spring and fall. I'm also very wary of PHL in winter and summer.