FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1861355-speculation-will-aa-continue-pull-back-nyc.html)

DCflyerAA-YX Aug 26, 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 28738739)
Increase hub frequencies to ORD & DFW, which have a combined 3 daily flights from JFK. Any extras could also be sold or swapped. DL flies DCA-MSN/LEX/OMA nonstop, and with them wanting to grow at JFK and DCA not being a DL hub, I'm sure they could agree to some sort of slot swap deal.

Unfortunately I know that Republic owns the slots Delta Connection is using for the OMA and MSN flights. They got them back when the bought Midwest Airlines.

JonNYC Aug 26, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 28735746)
I'm actually kind of worried LGA-YYZ will go. AA is really not very competitive on this route.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28737030)
Based on what?

Originally Posted by jmr50 (Post 28738678)
Well, its all ER4 service versus mainline 737/320-family on Westjet and Air Canada. Also frequencies are poorer.

Making it far cheaper to run, thus my question above.

bridge29 Aug 26, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm actually kind of worried LGA-YYZ will go. AA is really not very competitive on this route.

I've been (and booked) incredibly discounted fares on routes like PHL-LGA-YYZ, some with obnoxiously long layovers at LGA. This is a pretty clear indication that AA is routing very cheap connecting fares on LGA-YYZ. It wouldn't surprise me if it's toast at some point.

tphuang Aug 26, 2017 12:38 pm

I don't know much obviously. Just found there to not be very few elites the few times I've flown AA on LGA-YYZ recently, which I assume means it's generally a lower yielding crowd. Schedule/aircraft really don't compete well against AC/WS/PD. And the fares on LGA-YYZ are now on average lower than anything I remember seeing in the past 10 years.

JonNYC Aug 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 28739308)
I don't know much obviously. Just found there to not be very few elites the few times I've flown AA on LGA-YYZ recently, which I assume means it's generally a lower yielding crowd. Schedule/aircraft really don't compete well against AC/WS/PD. And the fares on LGA-YYZ are now on average lower than anything I remember seeing in the past 10 years.

Appreciate the thoughtful replies! I'l have to ask about that one.

george 3 Aug 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 28738739)
Increase hub frequencies to ORD & DFW, which have a combined 3 daily flights from JFK.

I'm all for this, particularly during the years that LGA will be reconstructed.

Fanjet Aug 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by george 3 (Post 28739524)

Perhaps that is another reason why AA is restructuring its service at JFK as well.

SJC AA Aug 27, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by george 3 (Post 28739524)

Yup. I'll go so far as to say that I wish everything served from LGA had reasonable options from JFK -- a far more functional and better-connected airport.

only1percent Aug 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 28728563)
This is a classic utilization flight, gone from JFK 20:50-05:35. With fuel prices reasonably low, I don't see why AA needs paid F or business travelers to keep utilization flights covering costs at the least, and they don't have anything better to do with a domestic airframe at that hour. And if you're not willing to fly a redeye, you're no worse off than you were before AA started offering this flight.

Assuming that routes continues 12 months of the year, those are GREAT times for skiing trips. Get your full day's work or school in and a leisurely trip to the airport, be at the slopes at 2 a.m. or so, sleep in and have your first runs before lunch. On the way back, check out of the hotel or condo in the morning, ski all day, be on the road by 6 p.m. and no worries about traffic.

ijgordon Aug 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by only1percent (Post 28742649)
Assuming that routes continues 12 months of the year, those are GREAT times for skiing trips. Get your full day's work or school in and a leisurely trip to the airport, be at the slopes at 2 a.m. or so, sleep in and have your first runs before lunch. On the way back, check out of the hotel or condo in the morning, ski all day, be on the road by 6 p.m. and no worries about traffic.

Who wants to drive into the mountains at midnight local time (2am NY time)??? That's asking for trouble!
On the return, only works (for me) if my lodging has a facility to shower after skiing (And mine did at Breck 2 years ago when I flew back via LAX on a "mistake" F fare). Or if they do at the AC (?), I guess I would maybe buy a pass.
And the next day would be a bust, after a 3.5 hr red eye in a domestic F seat!

ijgordon Aug 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28739154)
Making it far cheaper to run, thus my question above.

Don't the ER3/4s actually have very high operating costs (per ASM)? Which is one reason why they've largely disappeared?

jmr50 Aug 27, 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28739325)
Appreciate the thoughtful replies! I'l have to ask about that one.

I'm assuming that AA is mostly O&D (PHL-LGA-YYZ dumping notwithstanding) whereas Air Canada and Westjet have all kinds of connecting traffic.

rfrost Aug 29, 2017 3:56 pm

I go to Toronto a few times a year and until last September generally flew AA, but with those nice planes on which I was routinely UGed (of course, that was under the old system, no telling what would have happened nowadays) now replaced by all-Y rattling metal egg crates, I've shifted my flying to AC and PD, both of which IMO offer a better product.

ty97 Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost (Post 28752412)
I go to Toronto a few times a year and until last September generally flew AA, but with those nice planes on which I was routinely UGed (of course, that was under the old system, no telling what would have happened nowadays) now replaced by all-Y rattling metal egg crates, I've shifted my flying to AC and PD, both of which IMO offer a better product.

PD in particular is fantastic, if you are going to the city core proper, due to the location of YTZ as well as it's ease of use due to small size.

DA201 Aug 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by only1percent (Post 28742649)

I don't know if you have ever driven from Denver to the mountains when it is snowing, but it is not an enjoyable drive. It is even worse when it is midnight and there is no light. I was once on I-70 and had to go 20 mph due to a snowstorm at night. If I were to arrive anytime after 9 pm, I would fly directly into EGE, ASE, etc. to avoid a drive. As for the return, it's hard to have a productive day after a redeye that short, so I would probably simply take an early flight. Plus, going back to a hotel/condo for a shower and a change of clothes after skiing makes a huge difference.

If you are going skiing out west for a quick trip and have to be very efficient in terms of time, I would recommend heading further west. Last year, I flew EWR-YVR on AC on a Friday night, didn't miss a day of work because it left in the evening, and was at Whistler by 11:30. On Sunday, I left Whistler around 6, took Cathay's redeye YVR-JFK flight, and was able to be at work Monday morning. I wouldn't have been able to be productive all day Monday had my redeye been much shorter.

ijgordon Aug 30, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 28753364)
PD in particular is fantastic, if you are going to the city core proper, due to the location of YTZ as well as it's ease of use due to small size.

Have they finished that tunnel?
The ferry was cool once. Once. ;)

dkc192 Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 28755423)
Have they finished that tunnel?
The ferry was cool once. Once. ;)

They have indeed finished that tunnel!

Indy Aug 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28737030)
Based on what?

Any update on the rumored AA/LHR route? Thanks in advance.

Fanjet Aug 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 28757064)
Any update on the rumored AA/LHR route? Thanks in advance.

Was it ever made clear if this new AA U.S.-LHR flight is one that AA and BA is not currently flying, or just not AA?

Indy Aug 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 28757141)
Was it ever made clear if this new AA U.S.-LHR flight is one that AA and BA is not currently flying, or just not AA?

I could be wrong but I thought it was a route that nobody was flying. That was the impression I got.

DA201 Aug 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 28757263)
I could be wrong but I thought it was a route that nobody was flying. That was the impression I got.

Yes, there will apparently be a new AA (not BA) route USA-LHR from a city that does not currently have LHR service.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28720940)
For those who aren't adverse to connecting at LHR getting to Europe (and I certainly am, when given any choice,) there will soon be at least one more option to get to LHR from the U.S. on AA so that will, to a small degree, even further give folks option to "overfly JFK" (as it were) where they might connect at JFK now or have historically when flying AA.

cmd320 Aug 31, 2017 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 28757141)

Wouldn't seem to make too much sense for AA to utilize equipment on a non-hub route BA already operates. Unless of course BA is planning to drop something with AA picking it up.

loosecanyn Aug 31, 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by rfrost (Post 28752412)

I, too, fly JFK/LGA-YYZ at least monthly, and the planes are always full. Granted, it's a small plane to fill. If AA's vision in NYC is to hit the major O&D business markets, plus provide some modest feed for it's TATL operations, I cannot see them cutting YYZ anymore than it is already. It's the 4th largest metro in NA and one of the most important business centers. I'd much prefer they bring back the E170 (or a CR7/9) on this route, so those business travelers can at least have a chance at an upgrade, or at the very least, wifi.

NOW, let's really go out on a tangent! When will AA ever get rid of their ER4s and CRJ-200s? Or at least put wifi on them??

JSprague24 Aug 31, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 28757738)
Yes, there will apparently be a new AA (not BA) route USA-LHR from a city that does not currently have LHR service.

For what it's worth, CMH has a brand new security checkpoint on Concourse C which seems to be connected to the FIS facility there. It also has direct access from Gate C46 (the international gate) and a path which allows passengers to reenter Concourse C after clearing/reclearing security.

One TSA agent I talked to said they're using it for peak times to expedite inspections, but it's meant for Customs and there's a rumor that "British Airlines" (sic) is coming. The rumor's been going around for a while but sounds as though it's picking up steam again.

LovePrunes Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by loosecanyn (Post 28759587)

NOW, let's really go out on a tangent! When will AA ever get rid of their ER4s and CRJ-200s? Or at least put wifi on them??

Let's NOT

tphuang Aug 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by loosecanyn (Post 28759587)
I, too, fly JFK/LGA-YYZ at least monthly, and the planes are always full. Granted, it's a small plane to fill. If AA's vision in NYC is to hit the major O&D business markets, plus provide some modest feed for it's TATL operations, I cannot see them cutting YYZ anymore than it is already. It's the 4th largest metro in NA and one of the most important business centers. I'd much prefer they bring back the E170 (or a CR7/9) on this route, so those business travelers can at least have a chance at an upgrade, or at the very least, wifi.

YYZ-LGA heavily favours Toronto point of sale, so AC would capture majority of contracts. Even my colleagues in New York fly Air Canada because it offers better schedule (not sure about how many miles it earns). I think PD captures a lot of the downtown crowd, because it flies into YTZ. I'm assuming the delta guys fly WS, since Delta doesn't offer this flight. Why does AA need to?

I really don't think there is that many corporate contracts on the line for flights to Toronto based on the number of frequent flyers I've seen on the few times I flew on AA.

MIDWESTERNFLYER Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by JSprague24 (Post 28760896)
For what it's worth, CMH has a brand new security checkpoint on Concourse C which seems to be connected to the FIS facility there. It also has direct access from Gate C46 (the international gate) and a path which allows passengers to reenter Concourse C after clearing/reclearing security.

One TSA agent I talked to said they're using it for peak times to expedite inspections, but it's meant for Customs and there's a rumor that "British Airlines" (sic) is coming. The rumor's been going around for a while but sounds as though it's picking up steam again.

To be fair, I think I have heard rumors that BA was coming to virtually every city in the lower 48...

LHSEN Sep 2, 2017 8:43 am

Looks like JFK-ZRH gone after end of March 2018, back again only end of August. Haven't heard any announcement ... so am surprised.

AANYC1981 Sep 2, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by LHSEN (Post 28768031)
Looks like JFK-ZRH gone after end of March 2018, back again only end of August. Haven't heard any announcement ... so am surprised.

being moved to Philly-ZRH

Indy Sep 6, 2017 12:59 pm

IND just landed CDG so unless something crazy happens I think we can remove it from the speculation list.

JSprague24 Sep 6, 2017 2:33 pm

Where do I lay down five imaginary dollars on CMH-LHR being the answer to JonNYC's rumor?

CHOPCHOP767 Sep 6, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28768055)
being moved to Philly-ZRH

More over-crowding in the PHL ACs, lovely... :eek:

Fanjet Sep 6, 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 28785190)

The good thing about PHL is that they can do a set of 3 TATL banks (6pm/8pm/10pm) with connection options for basically all of them. Unlike JFK, where there are a lot of domestic single-daily frequencies and of course, time-slot restrictions.

JonNYC Sep 6, 2017 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 28785190)

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-...agship-lounge/

ashill Sep 6, 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28785505)

The new Flagship Lounge will be carved out of the existing A-West AC, won't it? I haven't studied those plans enough to see if they're adding footprint, but it sounds like little if any more lounge square footage. And showers will take some space; does that come from current dead space or current lounge floor space? Am I mistaken here?

perseus11 Sep 6, 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 28785909)
The new Flagship Lounge will be carved out of the existing A-West AC, won't it?.............

I posted this awhile back, but can't find it now. Unless it's changed recently, the FL = the same space as the old US Envoy Lounge. One side of the A-West facility will be the FL and the other side, the regular AC, just as in the Envoy Lounge days. Both the new FL and new AMEX Centurion Lounge, above the BA Lounge, will have showers for the great unwashed.

LovePrunes Sep 7, 2017 9:09 am

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 28786268)
I posted this awhile back, but can't find it now. Unless it's changed recently, the FL = the same space as the old US Envoy Lounge. One side of the A-West facility will be the FL and the other side, the regular AC, just as in the Envoy Lounge days. Both the new FL and new AMEX Centurion Lounge, above the BA Lounge, will have showers for the great unwashed.

Since this thread is about NYC changes, you ought to post your helpful PHL admirals club / FL changes in the thread about club changes, rather than this one.

perseus11 Sep 8, 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 28788059)
Since this thread is about NYC changes, you ought to post your helpful PHL admirals club / FL changes in the thread about club changes, rather than this one.

Suggest reading the entire Reply, including the Reference ?, before taking on the pseudo role of the Forum Police. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LovePrunes Sep 8, 2017 5:28 am

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 28791151)
Suggest reading the entire Reply, including the Reference ?, before taking on the pseudo role of the Forum Police. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

​​​​​​​oh I've read the entire reply and reference question, and said the info was helpful. BUT there is a whole thread that would be well served to hold changes to the PHL club, and it's not this one about New York. I even provided the list of other possible likely cities for the new LHR flight, so how many eye rolls should I respond to you with? No need to get an attitude dude. If there is significant PHL club changes to the point of blueprints and design documents it's ashame they're buried in a tangential conversation here and not in the place where people who actually care about that can see it with other PHL club news.

CHOPCHOP767 Sep 8, 2017 11:11 am

Build up of PHL facilities in order to accommodate feed formerly routed through JFK seems more than tangentially related. If anything, build up at PHL suggests the possibility of cuts to JFK. Not exactly off topic.