Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Only at FlyerTalk subject of pajama can create five pages long discussion.

Admirals Club house rule under the terms and condition states that:
During your visit to an Admirals Club lounge, American requires that your attire and conduct are consistent with a professional environment.
The above leave a lot to individual interpretation. For me “attire” and “professional environment” sounds like what I would wear to my work. However, just past week passing through DFW spending time at AC, I saw many people wearing short due to given it is summer time, dudes exposing their hairy legs. Full disclosure, I have visited AC wearing short, and I have flown AA flights wearing short. I am sure most of them do not ware short to their work at office, and same time Admirals Club looked as not bothered by such attire of visitors. So who knows what this “attire” and “professional environment” means.
"leaving a lot to individual interpretation" pretty much sums up a lot of airline policies.

Vague rules with flexible definitions empower people to abuse said rules -- usually it's the airline employees, sometimes the DYKWIAs. Look at any rule that mentions "disrupting the duties of an FA", for example. That term ranges everywhere from "talking back" to "trying to open the door mid-flight". This forum has plenty of stories about unreasonable people you encounter during travel.

It'd be great if lounges had a policy that was enforced and straightforward. Something along the lines of covering certain parts of your body. Personally, I don't want to see anyone's buttcrack (nearly threw up my drink one time).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I would just slip into something comfortable and change later.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I would just slip into something comfortable and change later.
I tend to agree. Golf type Shorts and an expensive polo shirt and comfortable slip on type shoes are almost "corporate" enough to get past the rules.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
I tend to agree. Golf type Shorts and an expensive polo shirt and comfortable slip on type shoes are almost "corporate" enough to get past the rules.
How do you tell the difference between an expensive and inexpensive polo shirt?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's just not the case. OZ 214 or BA 38, for example.

I always remain fully clothed until the fasten seat belt sign goes off. I don't want to find myself having to run barefoot across a snowy, muddy field just west off the end of 27L or 27R at Heathrow.
I'm sure some will scoff at you, but the point was driven home when I saw some of the horrific injuries of the pax who had managed to escape the deadly crash and fire of the MD 82 1,2 GO flight at HKT. Many pax were in flip flops and shorts. The foot gear was lost during the crash and evacuation. Many survivors had severe foot and leg burns and shredded feet from running through the fire.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Mother-of-pearl buttons are a sign of an expensive polo. Not that plastic buttons equals cheap, of course, but something to keep in mind. Expensive polo shirts also tend to have a soft, ribbed collar that sort of fits nicely around the neck, as opposed to a harder collar made out of just one piece of fabric. If the construction is a set-on placket -- the top part of the shirt is sown separately and attached after -- that's another sign of an expensive polo.

The density of the fabric and how even the stitching is also says a lot about its quality, if you are close enough to look.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by leungy18
Mother-of-pearl buttons are a sign of an expensive polo. Not that plastic buttons equals cheap, of course, but something to keep in mind. Expensive polo shirts also tend to have a soft, ribbed collar that sort of fits nicely around the neck, as opposed to a harder collar made out of just one piece of fabric. If the construction is a set-on placket -- the top part of the shirt is sown separately and attached after -- that's another sign of an expensive polo.

The density of the fabric and how even the stitching is also says a lot about its quality, if you are close enough to look.
incredible post
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I guess you can wear anything you want while walking through the airport from lounge to departure gate. Who's to stop you from wearing pajamas?

On the other hand, it would be my bad luck to run into someone I know and respect. Personally, I am not willing to risk that embarrassment and other repercussions to my professional or social life just so I can have a bit more room to change clothes.

Others might. I won't.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by enviroian
Seriously? Ah, no. It's an airport departure gate, not your bedroom.

Wow.
This.

It's almost like people have no self-respect anymore.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Only at FlyerTalk subject of pajama can create five pages long discussion. .....
^

Immensely entertaining thread.

And where were all of you when that poster on the NH forum recently asked if it was ok to wear flip-flops to the ANA lounge?

I can't offer OP an opinion on whether it's appropriate as like others, I've seen many pax with such minimal clothing that could easily be confused for beachwear.

(As for the PJ debate, my favourite are the NH F. They are the most comfortable and the bonus was the special step in the F lav that you could stand on to change so your clothing doesn't touch the floor. Classy. I'd give BR J the second spot on my ranking and while the LH F look more like street clothes, they are not overly comfortable.)

Last edited by 24left; Aug 7, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Wear what you want. Everyone else does. I would just wear real shoes until after take off for safety reasons in case of emergency.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by justforfun
Wear what you want. Everyone else does. I would just wear real shoes until after take off for safety reasons in case of emergency.
^
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I've never seen anybody do that, so even though I'm reaching an age when I don't really care that much, I'm hesitant about this plan. Thoughts? Too much?
If it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't. I would not recommend you walking thru the airport and boarding the plane in your PJs
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Perhaps the one made by Slazenger and inscribed "The Beach and Tennis Club, Pebble Beach" that I picked up cheaply in a Carmel thrift shop?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Wear the pajamas and cover it up. I've done this before.

Wear a nice zip up jacket for the top and a pair of pants that's looser than normal for the bottom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.