Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by inpd
Your idea is good. That extra half an hour of sleep is worth its weight when you touch down.

Seriously, if they are classy PJs then I don't see the problem.

Now if its a giant flannel onesy well ...
What half hour?

The passenger can board like a normal person and then , before departure, go and get changed. Either way ( if wanting to wear pyjamas on board ) will be able to do so before takeoff
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP
Just took an AA transpacific long-haul in FC, some people changed into the pajamas given, others did not. On occasion, I have seen passengers change into pajamas of other airlines that they have brought on-board.

Regarding attire either pre-boarding or on-board the aircraft, I personally have no opinion as long as it is generally decent. To each her/his own.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Since this thread has somewhat drifted already, I'll just ask my question here:

Do people actually change into PJs on the plane or is this more of a FT thing?

I've flown a fair amount of F/J and never used those PJs they give you, nor have I seen anyone else change into them (but it's not like I'm keeping track of everyone).
It's quite common in my experience; moreso on other airlines, including British, Cathay, Qantas, Qatar, etc. It's easiest if there's a "handicapped" lav like the huge lav on the QF A380 starboard upper deck J one - you could have 2-3 people change at once. (Not recommended...) That's probably why those (and others) spend the money to purchase them.

Though I have to admit the old Cathay Shanghai Tang pyjamas do rather make one look like an old fashioned bellman or an organ grinder's monkey. Better, IMO, for women. Pribably just my bias.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by inpd
Your idea is good. That extra half an hour of sleep is worth its weight when you touch down.

Seriously, if they are classy PJs then I don't see the problem.

Now if its a giant flannel onesy well ...
However you are dressed pjs or a tuxedo, for at least the first half hour, pax will required to be buckled up with seats in the upright position...so until at cruisng alt will pax make use of the comfort of pjs--unless (even though are sleeping) the FAs might wake you to check on meal choices and breakfast the next molrning.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Do what you want to do. This not the 1960s.

With this being said, I wish the people would dress appropriately these days. Dapper no more!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Do people actually change into PJs on the plane or is this more of a FT thing?

I've flown a fair amount of F/J and never used those PJs they give you, nor have I seen anyone else change into them (but it's not like I'm keeping track of everyone).
Yes, in CX F I see people regularly change into PJs, which is not generally the case in J, but then again my J flights are usually shorter in duration.

I fly CX F fairly regularly and on my last JFK-HKG flight the FA asked if I want PJs and I replied, no thank you. She was very insistent and said I could take them home, to which I replied that I already had a couple pair of Shanghai Tang PJs (see Jose's pic above) back at home (from 2005) and that I prefer shorts and t-shirt otherwise I get too hot with the duvet.

I am heading out this afternoon for my HKG-LHR flight and am very tempted to wear my shorts and t-shirt "PJs". Usually I wear long pants and a polo, which I will want in London at 0600, but can always change into after showering at the LHR arrivals lounge.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by JDiver
It's quite common in my experience; moreso on other airlines, including British, Cathay, Qantas, Qatar, etc. It's easiest if there's a "handicapped" lav like the huge lav on the QF A380 starboard upper deck J one - you could have 2-3 people change at once. (Not recommended...) That's probably why those (and others) spend the money to purchase them.

Though I have to admit the old Cathay Shanghai Tang pyjamas do rather make one look like an old fashioned bellman or an organ grinder's monkey. Better, IMO, for women. Pribably just my bias.
Does that come with a tasseled skullcap, JDiver?

Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
However you are dressed pjs or a tuxedo, for at least the first half hour, pax will required to be buckled up with seats in the upright position...so until at cruisng alt will pax make use of the comfort of pjs--unless (even though are sleeping) the FAs might wake you to check on meal choices and breakfast the next molrning.
Why? once the aeroplane has taken off, there is no reason to have to keep the seat in the upright position - will need to keep the seatbelt on though, but that would be normal anyway

If needing to ask whether it is ok to do so, I suspect that the answer would already be known

Can board, change before takeoff and then recline the seat once the aeroplane has left the ground and no worries at all, from what I can see

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 6, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Class has two meanings here.

Where one sits on a plane (available for purchase) and what one has (unavailable for purchase).

My choice is to change after take-off in the handicapped restroom. It looks to accommodate at 3 comfortably, and change back for landing. Reason being is if there are issues, I want to be wearing my shoes and a full set of clothes if I have to jump onto the slide (which I have done twice).

As always YMMV.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Ask yourself if you'd want to evacuate and walk through burning wreckage and forest in your pajamas.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Ask yourself if you'd want to evacuate and walk through burning wreckage and forest in your pajamas.
Wouldn't wanna do it in a Brioni suit neither.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Look at it this way

would you wear a hospital gown and take the elevator between floors?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:27 pm

Pajamas made to look like jeans:

https://www.amazon.com/International.../dp/B004EENYW4
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
would you wear a hospital gown and take the elevator between floors?
Like the earlier "provocative swimsuit" comment, really not relevant here.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I think it is not proper but not worthy of punishment. One possibility is to wear pyjamas under your clothes or wear the pyjamas top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.