Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Remember the "good old days" when passengers actually dressed better, sometimes even more formally, than GAs, FAs, FDs, but now it seems that anything goes - and some folks even wonder why they get treated disdainfully!

Gentlemen wore shirts and ties and jackets while ladies actually wore dresses or skirt and jacket suits.

Flying was fun and civilised then. There was no overbooking and passengers actually called the airline to reconfirm reservations at each stopover.

Perhaps one of the shocks in travel today is that so very often the worst dressed pax are in J or even F, God forbid!
Heavens to Betsy!

Originally Posted by rjw242
Isn't there a thread in TravelBuzz for people to reminisce about the alleged "good old days" that are never coming back?
Yep, enough threads on it such that they deserve their very own "OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD" sub-forum.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I see people replying that you shouldn't be dressed in anything other than business casual attire etc and I am wondering if they have ever actually traveled before. I see a lot of "interesting" attire and it isn't just in the good ole USA, trust me on that.

Wear what the eff you want.

Last edited by mcgahat; Aug 6, 2017 at 1:26 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Remember the "good old days" when passengers actually dressed better, sometimes even more formally, than GAs, FAs, FDs, but now it seems that anything goes - and some folks even wonder why they get treated disdainfully!

Gentlemen wore shirts and ties and jackets while ladies actually wore dresses or skirt and jacket suits.

Flying was fun and civilised then. There was no overbooking and passengers actually called the airline to reconfirm reservations at each stopover.

Perhaps one of the shocks in travel today is that so very often the worst dressed pax are in J or even F, God forbid!
My point is that there should be standards. You don't show up to a job interview wearing pajamas... that wouldn't even fly at Google. To other people's points, I'm sorry but the airline isn't making the pajamas available at the lounge or at the gate because the intention is for you to change onboard. What's next, someone on this board is going to ask if they can board the plane just wearing a provocative swimming suit?

I regularly pay for F and J and I admit I find it very distasteful when people whose toe nails are full of black spots or fungus wear sandals, for instance.

Fortunately, these things rarely happen on the best airlines out there and to me it definitely pays off to stay away from US airlines.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I see people replying that you shouldn't be dressed in anything other than business casual attire etc and I am wondering if they have ever actually traveled before. I see a lot of "interesting" attire and it isn't just in the good ole USA, trust me on that.

Where what the eff you want.
Bullseye.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fly747first
Fortunately, these things rarely happen on the best airlines out there and to me it definitely pays off to stay away from US airlines.
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
You don't say.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I do not put the pj's on till we are in the air, I

I have seen my share if delayed and canceled departures.

I do not want to be noticed..
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
IIRC, the port side J lav on the 777-200 is quite spacious - always the one I used to change right after boarding!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OK, chill out, I didn't mean to get under your skin. I just thought it odd that someone would fly on all the "best airlines in the world" but credit the miles to an airline they hate. Then again, I also find it odd when someone proudly declares that they scrutinize their fellow passengers' feet, so what do I know.

... people whose toe nails are full of black spots or fungus ...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg
You know, other than a few people here, I really don't think most people care what anyone else is wearing on the plane. They're too busy caring where their luggage is, how comfortable their seat is, whether the food is tolerable, whether the plane on time, whether the IFE works, whether they've lost track of others they're traveling with, and whether the person next to them is annoying. They care about the weather, the water, the state of the plane, the annoying pilot's announcements. I have never seen anyone get off a plane and say, "The flight was fine, we arrived on time, the service was wonderful, but I'd never fly that airline/route again because the other passengers just don't know how to dress."

wg
They may CARE about those other things, and won't avoid the airline because of some strange-attired business class passenger, but they will most certainly, as I would, be discreetly laughing at you. Don't be "that guy"

Last edited by LovePrunes; Aug 6, 2017 at 11:19 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:57 pm

Since this thread has somewhat drifted already, I'll just ask my question here:

Do people actually change into PJs on the plane or is this more of a FT thing?

I've flown a fair amount of F/J and never used those PJs they give you, nor have I seen anyone else change into them (but it's not like I'm keeping track of everyone).
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Since this thread has somewhat drifted already, I'll just ask my question here:

Do people actually change into PJs on the plane or is this more of a FT thing?

I've flown a fair amount of F/J and never used those PJs they give you, nor have I seen anyone else change into them (but it's not like I'm keeping track of everyone).
I have never had any desire to use them on flights ( and just give them back so I don have space taken up by them ) but I have seen some other people wearing them
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:10 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wendyg
You know, other than a few people here, I really don't think most people care what anyone else is wearing on the plane. They're too busy caring where their luggage is, how comfortable their seat is, whether the food is tolerable, whether the plane on time, whether the IFE works, whether they've lost track of others they're traveling with, and whether the person next to them is annoying. They care about the weather, the water, the state of the plane, the annoying pilot's announcements. I have never seen anyone get off a plane and say, "The flight was fine, we arrived on time, the service was wonderful, but I'd never fly that airline/route again because the other passengers just don't know how to dress."

wg
I think OP wants to proceed from lounge to plane wearing pjs--people in the terminal (like PA police) might care.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
There is no pool in the plane, so I think we can leave the discussion of "provocative swimsuits" aside.

OP: Wear whatever you want.

Personally, I'd feel a little bit uncomfortable wearing my star wars PJs all the way from the lounge, through gates and then on the jet bridge. I don't own slippers but I would not want to walk around the airport with those either.

However, I kind of have done what you are thinking a few times when flying LAX-LHR. This was when the FL existed as such and the LAX-LHR gate used to be next door most of the times. I did not bring my star wars PJs but some generic comfy bottoms a T-shirt and sport shoes, which I put on after taking a shower at the FL. Nobody blinked an eye as I did not look like I was wearing PJs anyway.

JFK can require long walks, I'd feel odd walking around in LH PJs. But if you do so, I wouldn't really care. It is your business.

Furthermore, I'd much prefer a J pax wearing PJs that just showered, that some folk on a business suite with heavy and unpleasant BO.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can imagine the police seeing someone wandering around the terminal in pyjamas and taking the person away and trying to find out what care home the person had wandered off from
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

How classy are the PJs and how classy are you!

Your idea is good. That extra half an hour of sleep is worth its weight when you touch down.

Seriously, if they are classy PJs then I don't see the problem.

Now if its a giant flannel onesy well ...

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Flying from LHR to South America via JFK in C next week. What I really feel like doing is having a shower in the Flagship Lounge at JFK, change into my Lufthansa pyjamas (I'd much rather change in a spacious shower room than in an airplane toilet), and walk down to the gate in that and slippers, with a view toward drifting into sleep soon after takeoff. But I've never seen anybody do that, so even though I'm reaching an age when I don't really care that much, I'm hesitant about this plan. Thoughts? Too much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.