Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:43 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
A few things:

1. PLT Pro won't assure better UPG rate overall, except on routes you really don't need the UPG on anyway;

2. This was the cheapest requalification ever for me as well, and only $1200 total spend on AA. Trying to reduce that next year; and

3. DFW in the winter, except when the polar vortex ices the runways, and ORD in the summer (I know, the storms can be bad there as well,) for fewer wx delays. Or, try to connect thru the west coast either time of year.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
It's all about the schedule for me. If I need to be somewhere for a hearing or a presentation, I need to know I can make it. And I need to have a backup plan to make it if there is a problem. Sadly on the Allegiants and Spirits of the world, there is no backup plan.

I didn't pick AA because they are the best airline. They are just the least worst for my destinations (typically Dallas and other short connections from there). I stick with them because I can get free standby and same day flight changes. Yes, they cost more, but I have never not gotten where I was going (yes, I've been late but never missed the meeting).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kb9522
People selecting carriers almost entirely on the basis of price only perpetuates the race to the bottom. Good job contributing to the problem.
HAhahahaah this is the most flyertalk thing I've ever read.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
My loyalty to any airline lasts 4-5 years. After that, my needs evolve, their business model evolves, and it's time to move to a better situation.

I had a four year run with AA this go around: PLT, EXP, EXP, EXP. The pmUS network was a great addition for what I was flying, upgrades were easy because I was buying even work travel 4-6 weeks out. Now the upgrades are going to rot because of CK and EQD based priority, and my travel O/D patterns are changing again to feature more Europe in Premium Economy and less Midwest to West Coast flying.

So it was time to move on. My plan has been
- Challenge to DL Platinum at the beginning of 2017. My upgrade rate is over 80% as long as I avoid ATL, although I fly a lot of CR9s which don't bother me in F.
- Ride out EXP when schedule or cost requires, then pick up BA Silver in 2018 Q2 to get MCE back at ticketing.
- Use WN for my more speculative personal travel under 800 miles where the redeposit is more important. Right now, I've been using AA miles as EXP with free redeposit.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Selecting based on schedule, price and quality rather than being a slave to a scheme is more likely, imo, to lead to better quality where an airline has to compete based on these items rather than being able to rely on an FF programme
+1. After AA's devaluation of the FF program and reorientation towards the 1%, I'd had enough. Fly less (you can do it!) and buy F instead of chasing diminishing upgrades. Been usinging DL a lot this year — 15-20% lower in F and more flights where I need to go. Obviously, success is based on location and destination needs. But getting out of the FF rat race has actually been a pleasant experience overall. I'd also advise maintaining at least basic status on two carriers, for IRROPs assistance.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Danwriter
+1. After AA's devaluation of the FF program and reorientation towards the 1%, I'd had enough. Fly less (you can do it!) and buy F instead of chasing diminishing upgrades. Been usinging DL a lot this year — 15-20% lower in F and more flights where I need to go. Obviously, success is based on location and destination needs. But getting out of the FF rat race has actually been a pleasant experience overall. I'd also advise maintaining at least basic status on two carriers, for IRROPs assistance.
When it comes to pricing of domestic F, I too find DL to be pretty reasonable most of the time. Definitely on average the most reasonable out of AA/DL/UA. Of course, that's highly variable.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Danwriter
+1. After AA's devaluation of the FF program and reorientation towards the 1%, I'd had enough.
What?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by kb9522
What?
Seems pretty self explanatory to me: AAdvantage has been retargeted towards the top spenders, aka the 1%. It's not a loyalty program anymore, it's a rewards program.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Half way through the new elite qualifying year, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents:

I was AA EXP for approx. 15 years (or equivalent with one of the many companies that comprise AA today), qualifying on segments using low fares. My travel was about 75% short hops from PHX to the west coast and 25% (6 to 8) midcon/domestic long haul trips per year. Yes, I got upgraded a lot, but in exchange, I was loyal to AA to a fault. Every segment mattered. I often needed a segment run or two.

When the change to EQD was announced, I stopped chasing status cold turkey and settled in to my new permanent platinum status. Here are my thoughts:

I think AA was smart instituting upgrades best on rolling spending. Makes sense, even if it puts me further down the list. Changing to EQD for status was premature and short sighted. They should have worked to improve the onboard product first. Give the folks something worth paying for.

For my short haul travel, I continue to use AA. I get upgraded on occasion, but on sub 2 hour flights, it isn’t THAT important to me.

On my longer trips, I was finding that the cost of my ticket plus the sticker cost was often close enough to the cost of buying F and not playing the upgrade game that I started looking at F fares. Once I started looking at buying F (an AA dream come true), I start looking at other carriers, primarily DL. For my routes, buying F (I have no status) is either the same as AA or often less.

I wouldn’t necessarily fly DL over AA because of a PDB failure, or the state of AA’s crusty blankets, because DL offers IFE on nearly all of their domestic flights, or because a pillow is standard on all flights in F, but the service differences really start to add up. Even the crews seem friendlier (generally). And yes, I have had some amazing AA crews/service over the years.

In 2017, my longer haul travel has really ramped up. I just bought my 9th paid F ticket on Delta today. Unless AA didn’t realize that their product is sub-par compared to DL, I wouldn’t have given my passengers a reason to look elsewhere (i.e. leave the elite status qualifications alone and improve the experience first). Maybe I am an outlier, but AA really lost out on me. I get it: they are operating a business and need to make a profit. I am a customer and look for value based on my criteria. Still, it makes me a little sad.
Morty1944 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
In 2017, my longer haul travel has really ramped up. I just bought my 9th paid F ticket on Delta today. Unless AA didn’t realize that their product is sub-par compared to DL, I wouldn’t have given my passengers a reason to look elsewhere (i.e. leave the elite status qualifications alone and improve the experience first). Maybe I am an outlier, but AA really lost out on me. I get it: they are operating a business and need to make a profit. I am a customer and look for value based on my criteria. Still, it makes me a little sad.
This is the kicker for me. Their product is not standard all around. Lately I've been doing a lot of ORD-JFK for work. Started buying B6, free wifi, and personal IFE on every seats, sold.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Phasers
Seems pretty self explanatory to me: AAdvantage has been retargeted towards the top spenders, aka the 1%. It's not a loyalty program anymore, it's a rewards program.
EXACTLY!! They don't give a damn about your loyalty....they just want you to buy the most expensive seats.

I am SO glad I dumped AA for my international travel....I was wasting so much $$ on AA/BA to India from the West Coast and for what? A shower at the Admiral's Club in LHR? No thanks. I can now fly China Southern, pick my seat without surcharge on a new A380....have a 2 hr layover in CAN....and yes, endure the professional but rather robotic service......and save 50% over AA/BA. Last roundtrip to Delhi from LAX was $550!! Try THAT on AA/BA....not going to happen.

While I used to easily get PLAT on AA I can't even get to GOLD now......and that's for flying over 50,000 miles in a year!! American and the other carriers basically have said EFF YOU to loyalty! Thanks for making me a free agent!!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DiegoSan
Last roundtrip to Delhi from LAX was $550!! Try THAT on AA/BA....not going to happen.
Enjoy it while it lasts

Originally Posted by DiegoSan
While I used to easily get PLAT on AA I can't even get to GOLD now......and that's for flying over 50,000 miles in a year!!
I'm sure AA is utterly devastated that they've lost your money-losing business to another airline.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Enjoy it while it lasts

I'm sure AA is utterly devastated that they've lost your money-losing business to another airline.
I have never understood this response here. It's like - are you trying to be snarky, or pretend to be better, or just sarcastic, funny?
Morty1944 and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: gate lice
Oh, come on. I know that AA switched its program to reward those who buy more expensive fare classes, but they're hardly the only airline that's doing so.

AA, perhaps with the exception of BA, is the easiest emerald out of all oneworld programs.

You can fly HKG-JFK round-trip 11 times a year on full-fare Y on CX and still not become emerald. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Domestic flights suck, with the narrow exception of routes like LAX-JFK. What do you expect? The plebs want cheaper and cheaper fares.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Hengilas
I have never understood this response here. It's like - are you trying to be snarky, or pretend to be better, or just sarcastic, funny?
The response is meant to provide an obvious truth to someone who appears to be disillusioned about his worth to AA.

But on a similar note, I've never understood people who post "I'm gold and fly 50,000 miles a year" as if that's supposed to be of any consequence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.