Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by inpd
...I think loyalty programs are on the way out.
They aren't.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
I've been having my own love affair with low cost carriers but internationally. I've been loving flying to Europe on Norwegian lately. Spanking new 787, one way fares of at most $500, disciplined crew but I'm sure they'll disappoint.
Norwegian is great. I wouldn't wanna fly their main economy cabin to Europe but their premium economy isn't bad at all. I'm not saying that to sound snooty... I just find I need at least premium economy to be comfortable enough during the flight so I can hit the ground running after 6+ hrs in a plane. And you really can't go wrong with their pricing.

As a comparison, when I decided to redeem my last chunk of AA miles when quitting AAdvantage, I had to redeem 230k miles and pay about $1400 in fees and surcharges for business class (because an award search returned only partner airline options for a range of about 2 weeks, and fees/surcharges on award travel can be considerable with those). 230,000 miles and $1400. And the itineraries kinda sucked. And only 3 of the 6 legs were business (since only economy was available on all others).

My last round trip premium economy flight with Norwegian to London? $1200 total.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
AA lost my loyalty when they axed the oneworld Explorer awards, or whatever they were called. The ones where you could book a single award for up to 16 segments using several partners. Those enabled me to travel to some amazing destinations at great redemption levels. I did a round-the-world in (mostly) J trip once piggy-backing these awards for 250K miles. In the current award structure, it would cost more like 2.5 million miles.

Luckily I made Lifetime Platinum prior to that so I still prefer AA when the playing field is level, but I definitely just go with whoever has the best fares generally now. It is less stressful in many ways haha.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:08 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You know what's sad? Basic economy fares on American that say:

- no checked bags without a fee (Southwest gives you two)
- only one personal item (Southwest gives you one carryon)
- board absolutely last and get bad seat selection (you can board pretty early on Southwest if you check in at T-24, no cost)
- can't change or cancel the flight, it's either fly as ticketed or throw away (Southwest lets you change or cancel without fee, funds can be reused for travel for a year after date of purchase)

On a one to three hour flight (which is Southwest's wheel house, the 500-1500 mile flight), I couldn't possibly care less if I got a full can of coke or some mediocre blast-chilled and then reheated mass produced meal, or if I have to line up to board and pick a seat. But I sure DO care that I can cancel or change my ticket and only pay a fare difference, or take a reasonable amount of carryon luggage for $0.

(To be honest, I often don't even care if I get an upgrade on that short a flight. Mediocre free booze and mediocre food? Meh. First class seat? Well, OK, but on a 2-3 hour flight I am fine with coach at the right time over first at the wrong time or with a connection.)

And now that the majors have dumbed their experience down to Spirit/Frontier levels, the message they send to a lot of the public is "you shouldn't care about service, you're all going to get the same bad product no matter where you buy it, on Spirit or American, so the only thing that matters is price". This is a selling point for Southwest, Jet Blue and Alaska.
At least AA has the good sense of not using BE fares on so many flights the way UA has. Seems everything I checked on UA was BE at about the same price as AA full benefit fares or way higher than AA.

Most of the time, FC is merely good coach. Airline food hasn't been edible on the domestic carriers for decades. Recently did QR business and their food was pretty good. And, I was only paying $1500 for RT business.

I tried Frontier DEN-PBI non-stop as they had like a $4 base fare. Came out to about $80 with premium seat and baggage including checked and unchecked, but still lower than AA at the time and they were a one-stop. I survived it with a bulkhead seat, though row 2 looked better. I'd consider them if there is enough of a price difference. Obviously, not flying them back to BKK.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rbAA
At least AA has the good sense of not using BE fares on so many flights the way UA has. Seems everything I checked on UA was BE at about the same price as AA full benefit fares or way higher than AA.
That's changing really soon now according to the latest investor quarterly conference call.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....earnings-call/

"United has said that American’s continued adoption of Basic Economy is good for their business, but American continues to play the greater fool being goaded into what’s good for their competitors instead of themselves even though they do acknowledge in the call “some share shift” they benefit from today. They expect to roll out Basic Economy across the rest of its domestic network by the end of September."
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:16 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
That's changing really soon now according to the latest investor quarterly conference call.

"United has said that American’s continued adoption of Basic Economy is good for their business, but American continues to play the greater fool being goaded into what’s good for their competitors instead of themselves even though they do acknowledge in the call “some share shift” they benefit from today. They expect to roll out Basic Economy across the rest of its domestic network by the end of September."
That's a shame. There are other options though so their loss. Just fewer AA segments, and I don't fly many domestic segments now. When I do, it's mainly to DEN, MCO/JAX and LAX/SFO. I can always find flights from BKK into convenient US locations I want to visit and work towards these places from there.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Yup.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You know what's sad? Basic economy fares on American...

On a one to three hour flight (which is Southwest's wheel house, the 500-1500 mile flight), I couldn't possibly care less if I got a full can of coke... or if I have to line up to board and pick a seat.

...now that the majors have dumbed their experience down to Spirit/Frontier levels, the message they send to a lot of the public is "you shouldn't care about service, you're all going to get the same bad product no matter where you buy it, on Spirit or American, so the only thing that matters is price".
Southwest is not a premium airline. But it is a clearly defined, well-executed, usually fairly-priced experience, without the adversarial energy that attends the UA/AA/DL experience. My RR points may not get me to Australia but I know precisely what they WILL get me, which is not the case with UA/DL dynamic award pricing.

I gravitate as a customer to clarity, fairness, and congeniality. The US big three have discarded those values.

I think loyalty programs are on the way out.
No, but they are relevant to fewer and fewer people. If you are loyal to DL in order to save miles to take your family overseas in business class, and you're banking 500 RDMs here and 800 RDMs there while the "price" of your goal reward is more than 1,000,000 miles and can change without warning at the airline's whim anytime, that is stupid consumer behavior. Miles as a currency justify no faith or confidence.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by brytpa
My last round trip premium economy flight with Norwegian to London? $1200 total.
But you are aware that if the fight goes mechanical you will be stranded? AA will always protect you, even on OAL...

DY is great when everything works, if it doesn't well, better check the Other European Airlines forum to read the horror'ish stories...

Just saying...
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by BearX220
No, but they are relevant to fewer and fewer people. If you are loyal to DL in order to save miles to take your family overseas in business class, and you're banking 500 RDMs here and 800 RDMs there while the "price" of your goal reward is more than 1,000,000 miles and can change without warning at the airline's whim anytime, that is stupid consumer behavior. Miles as a currency justify no faith or confidence.
This year, on my travels, I have already saved ~ $7,000 by using miles.

That being said, airline miles are a currency that should be spent sooner rather than later for the reasons you mentioned. Saving up for that trip of a lifetime may not work out that well, when the time to make the trip arrives.

Used to be, in the hunt for status, I'd seldom use award tickets for myself and would rather have the family use them. Now, unless a deal stares me in the face, I make it a point to burn miles rather than cash.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by kb9522
People selecting carriers almost entirely on the basis of price only perpetuates the race to the bottom. Good job contributing to the problem.
What a ridiculous comment - it is the legacy airlines, continuing to cut and chop and trim benefits, amenities, and customer service that has caused even high value passengers to focus on price and/or the value proposition of the marketplace.

Like many others in this thread, for most of my flying life I have been single-carrier loyal. It was not always to the same carrier, but when I was with a program I wouldn't even check prices on competitors and wouldn't even consider taking a nonstop on a competitor over a 1-stop on my airline.

The reality is that it's easier for customers to be loyal to one company. When I was single-carrier loyal, I only needed one website and one application and I always parked in the same spot in the long term garage and I knew where every possible gate was and I had all my frequent flier miles in the same place. I was about to type that I now have 5 airline apps on my phone, but I just checked it and I actually have 8. The reality is I'd rather be single-carrier loyal. But legacy carriers, especially in recent years, have repeatedly proven that they don't deserve our loyalty. Hence why so many FT'ers have become free agents, despite being members of a forum where being a free agent has historically been strongly discouraged.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TPJ
But you are aware that if the fight goes mechanical you will be stranded? AA will always protect you, even on OAL...

DY is great when everything works, if it doesn't well, better check the Other European Airlines forum to read the horror'ish stories...

Just saying...
What is the frequency of such events ?

If there is a cancellation/long delay, unlike AA from US, there would be (at current exchange rates) $705 compensation for the delay/cancellation as well as entitlement to a refund of the fare if not wanting to wait

Also, of course, regardless of delay reason, the airline has to provide food/drinks and pay for accommodation if there is an overnight delay ( and choose not to cancel ) regardless of the reason for the delay

Much better protection that AA offers
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

If there is a cancellation/long delay, unlike AA from US, there would be (at current exchange rates) $705 compensation for the delay/cancellation as well as entitlement to a refund of the fare if not wanting to wait

Also, of course, regardless of delay reason, the airline has to provide food/drinks and pay for accommodation if there is an overnight delay ( and choose not to cancel ) regardless of the reason for the delay

This!

Although the customers still need to fight for the legally protected compensation but it is miles better than what the US airlines would ever offer.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

This doesn't help domestic issues with low cost carriers. Flying airlines like Allegiant for example could mean some pretty nasty delays for mechanical issues. With sometimes only one or two routes a week to the airports they serve there isn't a backup plane sitting around. With AA or other similar size carriers there are typically many more options to get someone home on time.

I think the point a few people are making here is that it's great to shop around but you also need to be smart about it an recognize potential consequences.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ

Just saying...
Oh I'm sure a quick and casual glance through any forum on here would yield some juicy horror stories about every single one of the airlines listed.

Getting so monumentally screwed over by an airline is never fun.

But what I think some of us are pointing out here is it's also no fun to deal with the more incremental, if not-quite-monumental, ways in which loyalty to a particular airline becomes less and less appealing. Perhaps none of it makes for a good horror story, but the gradual devaluation of miles; increased difficulty in redeeming awards; unappealing itineraries on award options; forgoing cheaper flights on other airlines to stick with one in particular, can all nonetheless chip away at the incentive to be loyal to a particular airline.

And look... I understand that really any airline is treating me like one nameless commodity among many. I don't expect them to go out of their way for my sake at the expense of what they find makes sense for their bigger picture and their bottom line. If I'm finding it a hassle to use systemwide upgrades or redeem miles or am frustrated at having to pay change fees and such, I'm sure there's some reason AA justifies that within the context of all they have going on and all the ways in which they're entitled to pursue profits and make the numbers work out for them. At the end of the day, being a free agent is simply me viewing airlines the same way they view us - one option among countless many, competing not only with one another but also with what suits my circumstances and bigger picture every time I need to fly somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.