Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA not late check bags / baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Often1
You misunderstand. The reason for the baggage cut off is that this is the time AA believes is required for the bag to make its way to TSA, be screened, delivered and loaded on the aircraft without delaying the aircraft and without subjecting AA to the costs associated with the Montreal Convention which include delivering the bag to you and reimbursing your necessities during the day or two it is delayed.

The problem with the 3-minute supervisor override is that it's 3 minutes, not 4 minutes and you were at a minimum of 5. You also have to be lucky enough to find a supervisor right at the position because the clock is ticking against you.

Change fees are not the cost of changing your ticket. They are a penalty assessed for making the change. They protect the fully flexible brand as nobody in their right mind would pay for flexibility if they could have it for free.

This may well be covered by insurance because of the underlying reason for the delay. I would start there.

But, blaming AA for enforcing the fare rules which you yourself chose seems a bit harsh unless AA caused the traffic issue.
As I said, it is frustrating, why is it 60-min cutoff for a 3-hour flight to CUN, when it is 45-min cutoff for a flight to MIA, seems about the same. The should be treating Caribbean flights as domestic, as they do for lounge purposes. Or at least don't charge the change fees, allowing flat-tire rules.
The fully flexible brand is just ludicrous, outrageous, almost comically priced.
My insurance did not cover that, I checked.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, but I have this thing called "common sense" that doesn't let me buy fully flexible tickets, lol.
You forget that this is FT - anything that goes wrong is your fault and the airline is always right!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no1cub17
You forget that this is FT - anything that goes wrong is your fault and the airline is always right!
What in anything in the passenger's late arrival is AA's fault?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What in anything in the passenger's late arrival is AA's fault?
We get it - rules are rules and there's no space for a little common sense every now and then.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:44 pm

We get it - rules are rules and there's no space for a little common sense every now and then.
"Common sense" here seems to be that rules are fine as long as they do not apply to me

"Common sense" to me would be that if I had purchased a ticket which had a $200 change fee , then a $200 change fee plus fare difference would be charged if I wanted to make a change

It would also seem to be common sense that people should accept responsibility for their actions rather than blame the airline for simply following the rules
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Anyway, to recap, I posted this as a cautionary tale and vending, to not be lulled into some sense of complacency when you fly short hops to Mexico and the Caribbean, just because the flights are short; they have completely different rules (international) and AA will be strictly enforcing them, and status won't save you.

However, the other point I am making is that these flights may be should be treated the same as domestic due to how short they are, I doubt it it takes longer to load the luggage on a 737 to CUN vs MIA, so, similar cut-off times and no change fees are reasonable proposals, or at least allow same day flight changes and flat-tire rules. Very minimally, if they want to treat them as international, they should also give lounge access, but AA (and others) make the rules arbitrarily as they like, to maximize profit.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:53 pm

"Common sense" here seems to be that rules are fine as long as they do not apply to me

"Common sense" to me would be that if I had purchased a ticket which had a $200 change fee , then a $200 change fee plus fare difference would be charged if I wanted to make a change

It would also seem to be common sense that people should accept responsibility for their actions rather than blame the airline for simply following the rules
Then I guess we have different definitions of common sense don't we? Apparently when something unforeseen happens to someone through no fault of their own, it's still their fault.

We get it - AA is always right.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:58 pm

Then I guess we have different definitions of common sense don't we? Apparently when something unforeseen happens to someone through no fault of their own, it's still their fault.

We get it - AA is always right.
Just because it is not their fault, how does it make it AA's fault?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:32 am

I'm not saying it's AA's fault - I just don't believe in blindly defending every decision they make to the death.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Agree, on a technical basis. But there are also customer service options, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I seem to get lucky a lot, probably because I understand a lot about the practicalities, the options, and communicating with people.

An example - as an experienced flyer I was embarrassed, within to past 6 months, to show up at SNA for a flight on SW to SJD, and I forgot that it was under international check-in rules (1 hour), not domestic (45 minutes with luggage). I was supposed to be giving a speech the next day, so I really wanted to get there. After figuring out what I had done I told the agent that I really needed to be there, and what were my options. They said there was a fight leaving in about 3 hours from LAX and they could put me on that one (no discussion of cost, fees, etc.). They told me that they had fixed it in the computer and I got in an Uber and went to LAX for my flight. Calm, easy and LUCKY.

Last edited by sbrower; May 4, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Similar happened to me. I arrived in LAX late from LHR due to a security issue on the BA plane. Even though I originally had a four window in between flights by the time I got out of customs control and to the AA domestic terminal I was 39 mins out from the flight. Was told there was no way no how I could get on even thought it’s was the last flight of the night. Told them I didn’t care when how or my luggage arrived I just needed to get to vegas. And they told me no and since I was flying on a separate ticket there was nothing they could do.

Is is quite unfortunate. Ended up costing me an extra $200 out of pocket to spend the night in LA... I much rather would have flown in and paid for my own luggage to get it later in the next day.

Wish they had. A policy where you could just sign a waiver or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.