Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA not late check bags / baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I've mentioned this before. You miss the bag cutoff it increases the chances your bag doesn't make it. You make the flight but the bag does not, then you are doing a bag claim at your arrival city, something the airline doesn't want to have to happen.
Originally Posted by Often1
General acceptance of baggage
Only baggage as defined in the definition section will be accepted for transportation. All baggage is subject to inspection. Checked baggage will be accepted for transportation only on flights on which you are traveling.

AA should only have permitted OP to voluntarily change is flight if it could also move his bag. It is unclear to me that this was even attempted or whether it occurred.

There is a reason for the deadlines. <redacted>.
Um, it doesn't seem that late checking contradicts that rule at all, because I was requesting that my bag be accepted for transportation on the flight which I was originally ticketed, only late. I'm looking for some AA policy that says that voluntary separation is not allowed.

<redacted>

This issue at hand is that if it's really AA policy, then I'll just stop flying AA on this route. Flying SJC/SFO-LAX-SAN is incredibly inconvenient, and if they can't do something simple like late check bags, which WN/UA/DL do happily (and are DIRECT on this route), then I really will take my business elsewhere. If it's just miseducated agents, I'm willing to take the effort to re-educate them.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 28, 2017 at 11:27 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and personal attack
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by no2chem
...I'll just stop flying AA on this route. Flying SJC/SFO-LAX-SAN is incredibly inconvenient, and if they can't do something simple like late check bags, which WN/UA/DL do happily (and are DIRECT on this route), then I really will take my business elsewhere..
I'd recommend just doing that
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What's to stop you from taking the bag through security and asking the GA to gate check it? Unless the bag is massive, I've definitely seen people do that.
It had liquids. a 750mL bottle of wine to be exact.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Totally. I couldn't imagine flying a connection between the Bay Area and SAN, extra mileage or not.

I know I'm in the AA forum right now, but after I didn't qualify for any status in 2016 with reduced travel, I've been flying everybody this year. DL has hands down provided the best customer experience in all classes of service (at least for me, I've flown DL in coach, domestic first and TATL biz). If an airline isn't providing you the service you expect, vote with your wallet.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

aw, but I was enjoying breakfast at the QF lounge every week...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

If an airline isn't providing you the service you expect, vote with your wallet.
Well that's stupid. You have to tell them why you left first (and give them an opportunity to correct it). And sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side, and it's easier to take a little bit of the matter in your own hands.

Other than this issue and a few other issues, AA has generally been good to me. So; I'm inclined to give them a chance to er, remedy the problem. If not, then I just I'll have to fly on WN again . Admittedly, WN ops is way better than AA, that definitely is one thing I have missed.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:52 am

It had liquids. a 750mL bottle of wine to be exact.
Sometimes you gotta finish the wine.

About 5 years ago, I had a Japanese family in front of me for security at FCO. They tried to bring a bottle of wine through. Agent said no-go since they were US-bound, but that they were welcome to leave it or drink it (pretty sure facetiously). They very quickly opened and drank it.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Totally. I couldn't imagine flying a connection between the Bay Area and SAN, extra mileage or not.
+1

That sounds unnecessarily painful. No amount of bonus miles could make me want to do that on a regular basis.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
+1

That sounds unnecessarily painful. No amount of bonus miles could make me want to do that on a regular basis.
breakfast at the QF lounge! it's really not that bad as long as you can get on your flight if you late-check your bags... and those calbee fry chips!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, they did, but you might have missed it, because it was about 10 years ago.
Ooh , CLEVER
as the other posters after you showed, it is AA policy you don't fly without your bags
I've experienced it recently as elite, they don't like to make exceptions, even for elite, even for "original members"
never said it was DHS policy, it's just what AA does and when it happened to me the ticket agent said it is a "voluntary separation" rule
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:07 am
Suspended

breakfast at the QF lounge! it's really not that bad as long as you can get on your flight if you late-check your bags... and those calbee fry chips!
Can't you just spring for your own breakfast somewhere?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Ooh , CLEVER
as the other posters after you showed, it is AA policy you don't fly without your bags
I've experienced it recently as elite, they don't like to make exceptions, even for "original members"
This doesn't seem consistent (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27048791-post35.html and pinniped's post, also my experiences at non-pmUS airports), and until someone can cite some policy which says "late check not allowed", I really don't think it's policy.

I guess absent that I'll just write a complaint letter to AA...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Can't you just spring for your own breakfast somewhere?
meh, it's tastier when it's free and sit down service. Otherwise I'll just pour some milk into cereal at home, which doesn't have the same um, "fanciness" factor. It also makes me feel like I'm getting something out of these statuses...

But I guess I have a unique situation, where I don't have to be in SAN until 1pm, regularly for about 10 weeks. So I don't mind taking the morning flight out of the bay area, having breakfast, and then taking another short flight into SAN.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:14 am

hmm...
These guys might help you
http://forum.elliott.org/forums/american-airlines.49/
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH
Sometimes you gotta finish the wine.

About 5 years ago, I had a Japanese family in front of me for security at FCO. They tried to bring a bottle of wine through. Agent said no-go since they were US-bound, but that they were welcome to leave it or drink it (pretty sure facetiously). They very quickly opened and drank it.
I like their style!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.