Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA not late check bags / baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:17 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Often1
This becomes a bit harder when there are trade-offs. Would you trade a shorter bag drop for a better quality hot towel?
True ...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
The lone agent at the counter two weeks ago refused to check my bag when I arrived after the deadline. At first I thought he was going to, because he was asking about the checked-bag fee (which didn't apply), then he said he couldn't check it anyway.

The bag was legal to carry aboard, so I did that and then went airside at my connecting airport to check it for the rest of the trip. I had a long layover and didn't want to be burdened with it for hours in the airport.

The only problem was that I had two other carry-on bags, both small. I draped my coat over both of them at the gate.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
I'd be interested to know what "good reason" AA to reject a bag at 45 mins when they know that bag transfers take less than 10 minutes.

You're right - we're pulling the "how hard can it be?" card and anyone with logistics experience is right to do so. We're moving a bag 100 yards, not processing intermodal cargo through foreign customs. The issue here isn't that airlines have top-secret time-warp baggage technology. The issue is that AA inappropriately applies policies that disadvantage their customers & AA doesn't empower their employees - both of which indicate that AA can't be bothered to provide a high level of service to customers.
I am sorry but again, you must not have experience in the job, I do. Perhaps you are not aware that ramp agents work more than one flight at a time many times, or have several other jobs imperative to the airplane getting out on time. Perhaps they don't have time to run back and grab one last stray bag left over that was checked improperly timewise, and refill the potable water, or dump the lav, or get the a/c towbar hooked up, or disconnect the gpu, or disconnect the conditioned air cart, or assist pax by receiving gate checked strollers, mobility devices, or valet bags if the type of a/c calls for it, or gate checks when the bins are full. But hey let's delay the flight and inconvenience a whole plane full of people who followed AA's policy because one person was late and felt the rules should be ignored for them.

I have done the job, I did it for years before getting out of the industry. I actually have a knowledge of how much a ramp agent who is responsible for that bag does, especially at a field station. They don't make cut-off times at airports just to tick you off, there is a reason.

Perhaps a little understanding on your part and people in this situation would go a long way.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:39 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I am sorry but again, you must not have experience in the job, I do. Perhaps you are not aware that ramp agents work more than one flight at a time many times, or have several other jobs imperative to the airplane getting out on time. Perhaps they don't have time to run back and grab one last stray bag left over that was checked improperly timewise, and refill the potable water, or dump the lav, or get the a/c towbar hooked up, or disconnect the gpu, or disconnect the conditioned air cart, or assist pax by receiving gate checked strollers, mobility devices, or valet bags if the type of a/c calls for it, or gate checks when the bins are full. But hey let's delay the flight and inconvenience a whole plane full of people who followed AA's policy because one person was late and felt the rules should be ignored for them.

I have done the job, I did it for years before getting out of the industry. I actually have a knowledge of how much a ramp agent who is responsible for that bag does, especially at a field station. They don't make cut-off times at airports just to tick you off, there is a reason.

Perhaps a little understanding on your part and people in this situation would go a long way.
Unless you’re suggesting that Doug Parker and Rob Isom deserve sympathy, I think you’re mixing two ‘targets’ of this discussion – corporate policy makers & those on the front lines. Let’s break it down:

AA: If there’s no legal requirement for bags to travel with the passenger, then there is no legitimate reason for AA to demand strict adherence to this policy. At best, this is an attempt to standardize policy and ease management/oversight (at the expense of customers) applied by overzealous management. At worst, this is another attempt for an airline to extort revenue. As someone else suggested and in many circumstances, making the passenger liable for a bag that is checked late is a perfectly reasonable solution that should benefit both sides.

Agents: I’ve learned that the most I can expect from my team is that they try their best. I don’t blame agents / ramp workers for this policy, but applying a policy without thinking is not trying. There is no practical difference between checking a bag at 45 minutes and checking a bag at 44 minutes. If there’s an education standard for employees in a position, then there’s an expectation that those employees apply some critical thinking in a way that promotes the interest of the company while serving the customer.

Let’s not forget that I’m paying AA to provide me with a service. I think it’s reasonable that any customer expects a company to provide at least a minimal amount of effort to provide help when needed – the same standard I expect from Target, Verizon, Comcast (albeit with less success than even AA), etc.

And, finally, a dissenting view doesn’t mean lack of experience. I already said that I do have appropriate knowledge in this area.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
Unless you’re suggesting that Doug Parker and Rob Isom deserve sympathy, I think you’re mixing two ‘targets’ of this discussion – corporate policy makers & those on the front lines. Let’s break it down:

AA: If there’s no legal requirement for bags to travel with the passenger, then there is no legitimate reason for AA to demand strict adherence to this policy. At best, this is an attempt to standardize policy and ease management/oversight (at the expense of customers) applied by overzealous management. At worst, this is another attempt for an airline to extort revenue. As someone else suggested and in many circumstances, making the passenger liable for a bag that is checked late is a perfectly reasonable solution that should benefit both sides.

Agents: I’ve learned that the most I can expect from my team is that they try their best. I don’t blame agents / ramp workers for this policy, but applying a policy without thinking is not trying. There is no practical difference between checking a bag at 45 minutes and checking a bag at 44 minutes. If there’s an education standard for employees in a position, then there’s an expectation that those employees apply some critical thinking in a way that promotes the interest of the company while serving the customer.

Let’s not forget that I’m paying AA to provide me with a service. I think it’s reasonable that any customer expects a company to provide at least a minimal amount of effort to provide help when needed – the same standard I expect from Target, Verizon, Comcast (albeit with less success than even AA), etc.

And, finally, a dissenting view doesn’t mean lack of experience. I already said that I do have appropriate knowledge in this area.
Why should they not, it's there stated policy clear as day? So because you feel they should bend their policy for convenience they should do so just because? How is this extortion? Is AA keeping you from showing up 2 hours prior to the flight to ensure safely checking in if any issue arises? I get things happen, but that doesn't mean AA should have to ignore stated policy because someone didn't plan well enough. Not to mention they do overlook the policy to be nice, something they don't have to do. Are you going to be mad because once a police officer only gave you a warning for going 10 over when another one gives you a citation for going 10 over? The cut off is the cut off. The reason it exists is for a good reason, they don't arbitrarily decide it just to make passengers mad.

So if someone refuses to break company policy when it isn't AA's fault they aren't doing their job? Why should they? They have bosses who hold them accountable for these same policies. This argument is completely off base. I am shocked you are using this as a reasoning.

Unless they say "Oh sorry you missed your flight good luck have a nice life and a nice walk home" then they have helped. Agreeing to accommodate a pax on a later flt is helping out.

When you buy a ticket you are agreeing to the COC, you obviously know that. There are expectations of AA to get you to your final destination safely. There is no guarantee of time. AA expects passengers to be all checked in by a certain time, and at the gate at least 15 min prior to door closing. In purchase you are agreeing to this. A service goes both ways, just because you pay for a service doesn't mean you have carte blanche to do whatever you please.

I get airlines have work to do, I say wholeheartedly they could be a lot better. However, you don't seem to have a very good true understanding of the jobs like maybe someone who works or has worked in the operation. IF you have, well then I am surprised at your expectations as you should know it isn't realistic to expect an airline to go around breaking policy just because.

Just with any airline you will find agents that will do whatever they can to help you out, and you will find ones that are very policy strict. Is that fair? Maybe not, but I am sure you can agree you would rather have some who will bend the rules to assist then none who will, because if you think airlines are bad now, they could be a lot worse if it wasn't for those people who do go the extra mile to make someone's day better.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TBD
There should be no policy using your way of thinking.

"There is no practical difference between checking a bag at 45 minutes and checking a bag at 44 minutes." Also there is no practical difference between checking a bag at 44 minutes and checking a bag at 43 minutes. Also there is no practical difference between checking a bag at 43 minutes and checking a bag at 42 minutes. . . . Also there is no practical difference between checking a bag at 20 minutes and checking a bag at 19 minutes. . . .

When there "is no practical difference" there is no policy and it goes on and on and on.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this leads to two sets of problems which are linked:

1. No matter what anybody says, the one-off favor becomes an entitlement. Whether it is the T-44 bag drop, the T-14 boarding, the $200 change fee waiver, the excess baggage, oversize carryon or whatever, people firmly believe that if they get it once, they ought to get it again. Thus, when they don't the brand damage is doubled. People don't love AA (or UA or DL) for the one time someone went out of their way to help. They hate the carrier for the times when someone didn't.

2. The response has been, not just at AA, to limit agent discretion. AA's new overlay does not permit agents to override the system in many instances and new agents are not trained in the work arounds. The impact is that over time, there simply is not anybody who can print a bag tag for you, even if there are extra baggage handlers and everyone knows that it is a day when you might be just a little late and it doesn't matter.

The LH system of "rules are rules" means that everyone knows what the rules are and everyone gets treated fairly, seems to work.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TBD
...Agents: I’ve learned that the most I can expect from my team is that they try their best. I don’t blame agents / ramp workers for this policy, but applying a policy without thinking is not trying. There is no practical difference between checking a bag at 45 minutes and checking a bag at 44 minutes. If there’s an education standard for employees in a position, then there’s an expectation that those employees apply some critical thinking in a way that promotes the interest of the company while serving the customer.

Originally Posted by TBD
...I already said that I do have appropriate knowledge in this area.
Maybe time to start -applying- it.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Maybe time to start -applying- it.
Thankfully the human world is not operating on black and white/ones and zeroes terms. Customer service is about being able to navigate the rules with common sense to help your customer or client.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by azepine00
Thankfully the human world is not operating on black and white/ones and zeroes terms. Customer service is about being able to navigate the rules with common sense to help your customer or client.
Easy to say about the customer standing in front of you. But, many of these issues are zero-sum games and result in delays and costs which are felt by others.

For every customer where the counter agent spends time overriding the system (while he still has the authority and training), there is someone standing in line behind that late customer who is now delayed. I have no desire to have to get to the airport earlier because the lines are longer because agents are being "nice" to people who are late.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Who hasn't had that fantasy.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:17 pm

Part of it is the system knows the time and cuts it off for check-in. Now there is a way to get around it (unless it changed) but a lot of time it could require a supervisor. Most supervisors are not going to be too happy hearing their agent wants to ignore policy for someone who showed up late. Everyone has a boss to answer to.

I know this may be a crazy out there concept to some on here, but workers also have policies they are expected to uphold. Breaking these, especially enough, can cause reprimanding, and even termination depending on the level or frequency of it. Airlines do have people in cyber security who can catch things being done against policy, and we are talking things potentially miniscule on the outside even. I am not saying that they are going all around trying to nail someone to the wall everyday, but still, agents are watched for what they do.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Part of it is the system knows the time and cuts it off for check-in. Now there is a way to get around it (unless it changed) but a lot of time it could require a supervisor. Most supervisors are not going to be too happy hearing their agent wants to ignore policy for someone who showed up late. Everyone has a boss to answer to.
This does not require a supervisor (at least it didnt a few months ago). I was on the wrong end of the clock due to partucularly nasty traffic but a kind agent helped out. I continue to fly aa.

This all comes down to willingness of employee to take an extra step to help. Some just dont give a .. Nothing new.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
+1.

Originally Posted by Often1
Easy to say about the customer standing in front of you. But, many of these issues are zero-sum games and result in delays and costs which are felt by others.

For every customer where the counter agent spends time overriding the system (while he still has the authority and training), there is someone standing in line behind that late customer who is now delayed. I have no desire to have to get to the airport earlier because the lines are longer because agents are being "nice" to people who are late.
This would certainly be true if the customer was asking for substantial special treatment or a guarantee from AA that the bag would arrive on time. Instead, AA could note that the bag is late (physical tag if necessary), send it on its way, and make it clear to the flier that it's not guaranteed to make it. That avoids any "slippery slope" arguments and doesn't tie up the counter agent for any longer than it takes to check a bag. Reasonable solution for all and it doesn't open AA up to any incremental expectations for "special favors" in the future.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Official AA policy is to not accept a checked bag for a flight after the cutoff time. The system is programmed not to allow this and it can only be overridden by a supervisor based on the circumstances. It's rare to get a bag late checked on AA, as Jason Derulo found out a few weeks ago...

It has nothing to do with positive passenger bag match; it's how AA chooses to conduct their business. They could mark the bag with a late tag and have the customer sign the release stating that they acknowledge that their bag may not make it, but it may not be worth the headache at the destination when the bag doesn't make it and the customer is fuming despite being advised this was the most likely outcome.

The only form of voluntary separation AA allows is for elites who wish to SDFC to an earlier domestic flight after checking bags.

Originally Posted by TBD
AA agrees with you on this: there is a 3-minute buffer built into the system. They don't advertise it and I'm loathe to even mention it because then we start having a discussion about the practical difference between checking a bag at 41 versus 42 minutes.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Mar 1, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.