FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1822138-archive-transportation-voucher-vouchers-mco-faq-master-thread.html)

LovePrunes Jun 3, 2014 12:14 pm

just a data point from a recent voucher use for me. tried a combination of gift cards, voucher, and remaining balance with a credit card. the most the agent could put in was four different "account numbers" and one of those was used by the voucher, one by my credit card, which allowed two gift cards to be used. Tried to see if I could use more gift cards and she said no.

voucherflyer915 Jun 4, 2014 9:22 pm

Voucher Taxes

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if you could help me determine if I was charged the right taxes. I used a voucher from an earlier denied boarding situation to buy a flight from IAH-DFW-ELP.

The ticket counter that processed the purchase was an Eagle location (Hobby airport) and they had no idea what they were doing… it took them about an hour to figure it out, but I was afraid of the voucher being lost in the mail for such a high amount. (almost $1000)

I thought these kinds of tickets were exempt from some taxes? The breakdown they gave me was:

Fare 227.90
US 17.10
ZP 16.00
XT 26.50
Total $287.50.

Is that correct? That was the same price if I had paid for my ticket online with a credit card.

I fly this route tomorrow and was going to ask the counter when I check-in, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

jridge Jun 5, 2014 12:38 am

The voucher is just a method of payment. It does not exempt you from taxes.

tom911 Jun 5, 2014 2:43 am

I've certainly had some taxes taken off when I've ticketed with a bump voucher by mail or in person at the Sacramento Airport, but those have been for international flights. The agent I've dealt with the last two trips up to Sacramento mentioned that a lot of agents don't know how to properly ticket these by taking off some taxes. Can't say if that applies to domestic, though, as I don't use my vouchers there.

SJC AA Jun 5, 2014 7:16 am

Vouchers that the airline gives you for free (denied boarding, customer service, etc) are definitely exempt from most domestic taxes if the voucher covers the whole ticket.

(Vouchers that are just residual value, type OU, are not.)

This is documented at
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tion_vchrs.jsp

Microwave Jun 5, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by voucherflyer915 (Post 22980597)
Was wondering if you could help me determine if I was charged the right taxes. I used a voucher from an earlier denied boarding situation to buy a flight from IAH-DFW-ELP.

The ticket counter that processed the purchase was an Eagle location (Hobby airport) and they had no idea what they were doing… it took them about an hour to figure it out, but I was afraid of the voucher being lost in the mail for such a high amount. (almost $1000)

I thought these kinds of tickets were exempt from some taxes? The breakdown they gave me was:

Fare 227.90
US 17.10
ZP 16.00
XT 26.50
Total $287.50.

Is that correct?!

As there's an extant thread on the topic of voucher use and taxes associated with them, I'll merge your question into it.

Please check out the wiki post for some good information on this topic.

~Moderator

21A Jun 5, 2014 6:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.3; Nexus 5 Build/KTU84M) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.138 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by voucherflyer915
Hey everyone,

Fare 227.90
US 17.10
ZP 16.00
XT 26.50
Total $287.50.

Is that correct? That was the same price if I had paid for my ticket online with a credit card.

I fly this route tomorrow and was going to ask the counter when I check-in, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Give the Refunds department a call -- they should be able to adjust this for the taxes that should have been exempted.

LH630 Jun 15, 2014 7:26 am

800$ voucher. Where to go? Help!

I cancelled a booking a while ago and I need to use the money soon for another booking.

I want to go to EZE but when I search for BCN/MAD-EZE on AA.com it gives me a price of 2500$ return in economy.

Shouldn't AA be able to book IB and BA? I have been to US so many times so I rather use this 'voucher' to get to PVG or EZE.

Can I book these over phone?
My original booking that I cancelled was: BCN-SJU

Would be great If I could book something like this below but I suppose I need to have at least one leg with AA?

http://i.imgur.com/uqUI5eA.png

Blueboys999 Jun 18, 2014 1:48 pm

deleted

LucWise Jul 22, 2014 11:42 am

Has anyone had luck using transportation vouchers on AA coded, US operated flights?

scheps Jul 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Re tax exemption, if voucher is 500, two tickets are 700, is tax exempt on one and not the other? And how do you tell if your voucher is ou?

thumbun Aug 12, 2014 5:49 pm

AA Trans. Voucher Exch. Coupon

Made the switch earlier this year from UA (1K) to AA (Platinum). Was a bit nervous about doing so, but with all the negative changes to UA Mileage Plus and a strong desire by my firm to direct our travel to AA, I made the switch.

Have been generally happy. Flights (mainly up and down CA coast, but a couple to ORD and JFK) have been pleasant, on time and drama free. Boarding is much more relaxed at AA, and the crews and ground staff have much better attitudes than there UA counterparts. Have also enjoyed the Admiral's Club.

One issue/question. I had a number of SFO-LAX-SFO reservations for July. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected medical issue that put me out of commission for 8 weeks. I did not bother to get travel insurance. Knowing that I would be back on my feet in August, my assistant worked with AA to rebook my trips. In the end, I ended up with a "Transportation Voucher Exchange Coupon" for $20.80.

Is it really the case that you can only use these vouchers at an AA ticket desk or through the 800 number? I guess I can answer my own question - yes!!! To take advantage of the $20.80, I had to (1) make a reservation through the 800 number, and (2) either mail the voucher to AA within 3 days and then wait for a paper ticket to arrive in the mail OR take the voucher to an AA airport agent to exchange it for a ticket. As I will be at the airport tomorrow, I am doing the latter.

It seems that technology has evolved to point where all of this could have been done online. Over the years, UA has issued numerous coupons to me as "leftover" change for canceled/changed flights. I'm always able to apply them online. AA's system is a bit of a hassle. Not sure what other airlines do.

Keeping with the technology theme, I might add that while I like the look of the AA website and app., I find it to be less user friendly and powerful than UA's.

All in all, still more relaxing and pleasureable (so far) to fly AA, but wanted to vent a bit and see if there were other options that I was not aware of.

fanger Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Yes it's annoying.

The other option is to place an itinerary on hold on-line, then call in later to set up for the mail-in or go in to the airport/ticket desk. Not sure of Admiral's club staff or behind-security customer service desks can do it.

Originally Posted by thumbun (Post 23353561)
Made the switch earlier this year from UA (1K) to AA (Platinum). Was a bit nervous about doing so, but with all the negative changes to UA Mileage Plus and a strong desire by my firm to direct our travel to AA, I made the switch.

Have been generally happy. Flights (mainly up and down CA coast, but a couple to ORD and JFK) have been pleasant, on time and drama free. Boarding is much more relaxed at AA, and the crews and ground staff have much better attitudes than there UA counterparts. Have also enjoyed the Admiral's Club.

One issue/question. I had a number of SFO-LAX-SFO reservations for July. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected medical issue that put me out of commission for 8 weeks. I did not bother to get travel insurance. Knowing that I would be back on my feet in August, my assistant worked with AA to rebook my trips. In the end, I ended up with a "Transportation Voucher Exchange Coupon" for $20.80.

Is it really the case that you can only use these vouchers at an AA ticket desk or through the 800 number? I guess I can answer my own question - yes!!! To take advantage of the $20.80, I had to (1) make a reservation through the 800 number, and (2) either mail the voucher to AA within 3 days and then wait for a paper ticket to arrive in the mail OR take the voucher to an AA airport agent to exchange it for a ticket. As I will be at the airport tomorrow, I am doing the latter.

It seems that technology has evolved to point where all of this could have been done online. Over the years, UA has issued numerous coupons to me as "leftover" change for canceled/changed flights. I'm always able to apply them online. AA's system is a bit of a hassle. Not sure what other airlines do.

Keeping with the technology theme, I might add that while I like the look of the AA website and app., I find it to be less user friendly and powerful than UA's.

All in all, still more relaxing and pleasureable (so far) to fly AA, but wanted to vent a bit and see if there were other options that I was not aware of.

mikelat Aug 12, 2014 6:02 pm

No other options currently for paper vouchers. You did what you could.

lobo411 Aug 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by thumbun (Post 23353561)
It seems that technology has evolved to point where all of this could have been done online.

30 years ago, AA's executive leadership team drew on their mighty B-school training and decided that computers were a passing fad. They were wrong, so the company paid them millions of dollars in bonuses as punishment for their blindness.

Yay America! :D