FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1822138-archive-transportation-voucher-vouchers-mco-faq-master-thread.html)

bdemaria Sep 1, 2014 8:42 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff (Post 23455804)
Wow, sounds like 1990. Why would an agent give frequent flyer members a paper voucher as opposed to electronic? Such a hassle IMO for the customer to have to now mail the vouchers in.

Yes, as an elite I have rec'd a paper voucher.

KrissyK90 Sep 17, 2014 9:14 am

Any update to this now that it's September? I would like to use an AA $100 voucher on a US Airways flight.

philco Sep 24, 2014 3:58 am

Can a MCO be reissued electronically?

AA sent me a $160 MCO as compensation for a a significant schedule change that meant I had to ditch my AA flight and book with another airline or lose my connection. I received but lost the MCO Now I've emailed AA to ask for a reissue - hopefully they will reply soon - can these be issued electronically or do they have to arrive by snailmail?

Krysia Sep 24, 2014 4:30 am

I do know they can be issued electronically , however as far as a reissue, I believe it says on the voucher that you should treat it as cash as it cannot be replaced. You may find a sympathetic agent.

MsEverywhere Sep 24, 2014 8:13 am

If you have the original ticket #, they may be able to locate & reissue the MCO.

JDiver Sep 24, 2014 9:37 am

Originally Posted by philco (Post 23573283)
AA sent me a $160 MCO as compensation for a a significant schedule change that meant I had to ditch my AA flight and book with another airline or lose my connection. I received but lost the MCO Now I've emailed AA to ask for a reissue - hopefully they will reply soon - can these be issued electronically or do they have to arrive by snailmail?

We've merged your query into the lengthy consolidated thread (with wiki). /Moderator

mvoight Sep 24, 2014 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Krysia (Post 23573347)
I do know they can be issued electronically , however as far as a reissue, I believe it says on the voucher that you should treat it as cash as it cannot be replaced. You may find a sympathetic agent.

That is what bother's me about such stuff. It's not cash. They are numbered and AA has the record of the number, so AA has the ability to cancel the voucher. A less than honest person, might be tempted to report they had never received the voucher, rather than reporting they received it and then lost it. Of course, that doesn't help this poster as he sent AA an email saying he lost it. As noted by someone else, it would be great if there is an agent that could get a re-issue. Whatever happens, I hope OP reports it on FT

Chamor Sep 26, 2014 12:59 pm

AA Paper Vouchers on US flight

I had several AA paper vouchers I wanted to use. So I booked a reservation with AA, by telephone, on US Air operated flights, and told them I would be using paper vouchers. They told me to mail in the vouchers -- the usual approach. And I did that. A week later -- just to see if ticketing had yet occurred -- I looked up the reservation on AA's website and saw it had been "cancelled." I then looked it up on US's website, using the US record locator, and found the same. So I called AA. AA's agent said US had cancelled the reservation because it had not been ticketed within 24 hours. I asked "why didn't they hold it, since it was to be purchased using paper voucher?" Answer: "I guess they don't do that like AA does, but if you want I can get you different flights for a modestly higher fare on AA." (I later found out US Air WILL hold the reservation for AA paper voucher ticketing, IF the res agent puts the proper note in the record when making the reservation). My answer "No that is not what I would like. I like the flights and the fare that I booked and the reservation should not have been cancelled, so please get it back for me." After two calls, totaling nearly two and a half hours including hold time, they managed to do this. However, they then billed my credit card, which was supposed to be used to cover only the minor difference between the airfare and the vouchers, for the entire airfare. When I saw that, I called again. They told me they could send me back the vouchers. But that is not what I want -- I was to USE the vouchers (before they expire). Another more than an hour on the phone, and they said they should be able to work this out for me and would put notes in the record. But they said I should call back again in a few days to make sure it happened. So I did that, and they now tell me it is all worked out. We will see, when I get credit card bill, but I am cautiously optimistic.

It really should not be so difficult! I probably, in the end, will get the right result, I think, hopefully -- but not before a fair amount of airline-caused anxiety, and around 3 and a half hours of phone calls.

They should get rid of paper vouchers. It is time to enter the 20th century.

And I guess until they do that, a good lesson is to go to the airport to redeem the vouchers, rather than mailing them to Florida.

Is my experience unusual?

JDiver Sep 26, 2014 6:29 pm

As the issue is about current use of AA paper vouchers it has been merged into the current thread in the pre-merger forum.

/Moderator

Bttc Oct 6, 2014 10:04 am

I just got a paper voucher, and as I'm in an airport every week or two, I figure it's the right place to go to use it.

Question: is there anywhere post security at ORD I would be able to redeem this (admiral's club, maybe)? If there isn't, I can always do it at the counter pre-security, but it's not at the top of my list.

GullwingSL Oct 6, 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Bttc (Post 23633929)
I just got a paper voucher, and as I'm in an airport every week or two, I figure it's the right place to go to use it.

Question: is there anywhere post security at ORD I would be able to redeem this (admiral's club, maybe)? If there isn't, I can always do it at the counter pre-security, but it's not at the top of my list.

Yes, you may have the voucher processed at the Admirals Club.

todd-r Oct 6, 2014 10:23 am

Originally Posted by GullwingSL (Post 23633934)
Yes, you may have the voucher processed at the Admirals Club.

Correct. But you are best off going to Ticketing as the Agents there are likely to be more familiar on how to waive the appropriate taxes, since it's not an everyday occurrence.

Bttc Oct 7, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks!

It's actually a non tax-exempt voucher, so that's not a concern.

mvoight Oct 20, 2014 5:00 am

AA says voucher only for AA or AA codeshare

EDIT: I have also requested moving this to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I am a bit confused.
I have a travel voucher for a refund on a reservation I canceled.
(Value about $1200)
There is confusion over whether the voucher can be applied to a flight not AA and not an AA codeshare.
I want to fly LAX-LHR-DME-OVB
Carriers are AA, BA, S7
(Previously it was AA, AA flight number on BA metal, and S7 for LAX-LHR-PRG-DME. Agent said AA marketed BA metal flight was Ok..but S7 flight was not because it was not an AA codeshare)

The phone agent, supervisor, and rate desk ( supervisor claims this) says all flights have to be AA or AA codeshare. This seems to disagree with the info I can find. In fact, it would be impossible for a OneWorld affiliated carrier (other than AA) to operate a flight marketed by a OneWorld carrier and be a code share with AA on the same booking.

So, logically, the AA website seems to state:

1. AA or AA codeshare must be used for the transatlantic flights
2. OneWorld carriers can be used for other segments
3. Flights can be on non-OW airlines if booked with a Oneworld carrier's flight number (i.e. "Marketed by" a OneWorld carrier"

Am I totally wrong here.
The agent/supervisor state
1. All flights must be on AA or an AA codeshareEven flyerguide.com says "What can I use the vouchers on?

Airfare on American Airlines/Eagle/Connection, codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier. "
http://www.flyerguide.com/Vouchers_(...he_vouchers_on

AA says
These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworldŽ itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tion_vchrs.jsp

After all if it had to be AA or an AA codeshare, then the whole section about OneWorld and mention of transatlantic, etc on the AA website would not be needed

UPDATE: AA Customer Relations just told me they have to be used for AA or AA codeshare flights. This seems to be in direct disagreement with what the webspage says.

mvoight Oct 20, 2014 10:34 am

j

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 23704174)
EDIT: I have also requested moving this to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I am a bit confused.
I have a travel voucher for a refund on a reservation I canceled.
(Value about $1200)
There is confusion over whether the voucher can be applied to a flight not AA and not an AA codeshare.
I want to fly LAX-LHR-DME-OVB
Carriers are AA, BA, S7
(Previously it was AA, AA flight number on BA metal, and S7 for LAX-LHR-PRG-DME. Agent said AA marketed BA metal flight was Ok..but S7 flight was not because it was not an AA codeshare)

The phone agent, supervisor, and rate desk ( supervisor claims this) says all flights have to be AA or AA codeshare. This seems to disagree with the info I can find. In fact, it would be impossible for a OneWorld affiliated carrier (other than AA) to operate a flight marketed by a OneWorld carrier and be a code share with AA on the same booking.

So, logically, the AA website seems to state:

1. AA or AA codeshare must be used for the transatlantic flights
2. OneWorld carriers can be used for other segments
3. Flights can be on non-OW airlines if booked with a Oneworld carrier's flight number (i.e. "Marketed by" a OneWorld carrier"

Am I totally wrong here.
The agent/supervisor state
1. All flights must be on AA or an AA codeshareEven flyerguide.com says "What can I use the vouchers on?

Airfare on American Airlines/Eagle/Connection, codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier. "
http://www.flyerguide.com/Vouchers_(...he_vouchers_on

AA says
These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworldŽ itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tion_vchrs.jsp

After all if it had to be AA or an AA codeshare, then the whole section about OneWorld and mention of transatlantic, etc on the AA website would not be needed

UPDATE: AA Customer Relations just told me they have to be used for AA or AA codeshare flights. This seems to be in direct disagreement with what the webspage says.

The Twitter guy seems to think only the TATL part has to be on AA
So, great. Can he fix?
I have talked to 3 phone agents, 2 supervisors, web services agent, Customer Relations