Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Hi.

I booked in june CX award travel PVG-HKG-ORD-DCA all in F for April.

I just called today and changed the whole itinerary to the exact same flights, all one day later. The AA said there was a change in fare of about USD20.

Does anyone know if there is a new or higher KA/CX fee or tax or if this was just a result of somehow pricing the connections differently?
Most probably the new HKG surcharge that was effective August the first.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Most probably the new HKG surcharge that was effective August the first.
Thanks! What is the surcharge from? HKG Airport?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Thanks! What is the surcharge from? HKG Airport?
It's the 'construction fee' for the HK Airport third runway, which the airport authority imposed without consent from anyone, in order to finance the construction and circumvent the blockage of our legislators...

Anyway, if this helps everyone, starting August 1st, note that there is surcharge of HKD180 for F/J and HKD160 W/Y out of HKG for every departing longhaul itinerary issued in addition to the HKD120 departure tax. HKD160 for F/J and HKD90 W/Y for shorthaul. HKD160 for F/J and HKD70 for W/Y transit pax.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It's the 'construction fee' for the HK Airport third runway, which the airport authority imposed without consent from anyone, in order to finance the construction and circumvent the blockage of our legislators...

Anyway, if this helps everyone, starting August 1st, note that there is surcharge of HKD180 for F/J and HKD160 W/Y out of HKG for every departing longhaul itinerary issued in addition to the HKD120 departure tax. HKD160 for F/J and HKD90 W/Y for shorthaul. HKD160 for F/J and HKD70 for W/Y transit pax.
Thanks for the information!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This additional fee only applies when you rebook correct?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RedElmo
This additional fee only applies when you rebook correct?
I believe any changes made, to segments involving ex- or transiting HKG, will incur the new surcharge.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Sure, To be more specific: using BA.com While waiting for F inventory to open for my flights in late July on 3 consecutive Sunday evenings at exactly 1030pm edt I found that inventory would open up for "close-in" US flights (i.e. Flights roughly within 14 days of that Sunday). So while I still checked periodically during the week because there were changes here and there, sweeping changes occurred on Sunday nights at 1030. Of course if it was F0 it wouldn't open up--I'm not describing a mistake scenario. It simply seems that on Monday mornings in Hong Kong (i.e. 1030pm edt Sunday) someone at HQ consistently did a run through the inventory and freed it up.
Thanks for the details! This seemed to work tonight, although slightly later. Perhaps someone in Hong Kong had a case of the Mondays?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by soartoday
Thanks for the details! This seemed to work tonight, although slightly later. Perhaps someone in Hong Kong had a case of the Mondays?
Same experience tonight. Opened up a couple minutes before 11 EDT.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
So is it safe to say if you want a Monday flight ex USA it is 15 days out of the Sunday Evening trend so you really have to wait until 8 days out before the going is good?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
I have 2 pre-devaluation JFK-HKG J awards booked for a trip later this month. 2 F award seats just opened. I thought I remember reading a few months back that some people were having success changing class of service but retaining old award rates for awards booked pre-devaluation, but the agent I spoke with said it will be at the new award rate. Has anyone been able to increase class of service without incurring new rates?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:52 am

It shouldn't be possible to upgrade without repricing. I think you might be recalling people who were going to include a regional segment in first and pay first pricing and take a voluntary downgrade on the Transpac segment and hope to pick up F seats later. That would not require repricing because they had already paid F pricing to start with.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nickp7286
I have 2 pre-devaluation JFK-HKG J awards booked for a trip later this month. 2 F award seats just opened. I thought I remember reading a few months back that some people were having success changing class of service but retaining old award rates for awards booked pre-devaluation, but the agent I spoke with said it will be at the new award rate. Has anyone been able to increase class of service without incurring new rates?
Not possible. Going up class of service requires the old award miles being redeposited and new award miles being deducted. This amount being deducted will be new redemption rates.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:52 pm

What are the chances of CX opening up space on DPS-Hkg ? I waited until the last minute on the in bound and nothing opened up. I had to route through Kul and it was exhausting . Are they not as generous with this nonstop route? I may even consider downgrading just to avoid a 9 hour travel day.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sizook
What are the chances of CX opening up space on DPS-Hkg ? I waited until the last minute on the in bound and nothing opened up. I had to route through Kul and it was exhausting . Are they not as generous with this nonstop route? I may even consider downgrading just to avoid a 9 hour travel day.
CX may have caught on that DPS is like Hawaii; not many paid pax in premium cabins because it's a leisure destination, boatloads of people with credit cards and bloated mileage balances who want to fly to Bali and be in a premium cabin, and adjusted inventory accordingly.

Back in the day they used to fly a 747 there. Now it's a 773 with less premium seats.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX may have caught on that DPS is like Hawaii; not many paid pax in premium cabins because it's a leisure destination, boatloads of people with credit cards and bloated mileage balances who want to fly to Bali and be in a premium cabin, and adjusted inventory accordingly.

Back in the day they used to fly a 747 there. Now it's a 773 with less premium seats.
Yes, same case for CTS, DAD and to a lesser extent OKA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.