Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by imm2b
I have BKK-HKG-LAX booked. It was ticketed as married segments. Given the situation in BKK, I want to go somewhere else. What is the likely hood that they would allow the change from BKK to XXX-HKG-LAX if XXX has inventory to HKG?
Once ticketed changes to married segments are a cinch. I've made as many as 6 changes, between SIN, BKK and DPS as I couldn't make up my mind as the year wore on (having booked 330 days out).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by bmchris
CX has a travel advisory in place on their tickets for BKK. But AA does not (per AA.com).

Where is XXX? CDG? I would say that you have a good chance in the same region, but not outside of it (assuming you want to do this for no additional miles/charge). Give AA a call and reference the CX travel advisory.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_T...f-bangkok.html
Thanks for the info. It looks like only affecting for trips between 18 August 2015 and 10 October 2015 inclusive. My trip is not until late December.

XXX is in the same region (SIN/SGN/HAN etc). Unfortunately, it's booked with Avios, so I'll have to deal with BA.

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Once ticketed changes to married segments are a cinch. I've made as many as 6 changes, between SIN, BKK and DPS as I couldn't make up my mind as the year wore on (having booked 330 days out).
Thanks. Good to know. But, I'll have to call BA, hopefully, they are as easy as AA.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mackdaddy
Brief update on my quest: AA is still not able to access the business seats that BA / JAL / Qantas are able to book into.

It has now been over a week since availability of these CX business seats first appeared for some oneworld partners, but not AA - I'm a little surprised they haven't gone already!

AA agents have assured me that there is only one system that they check for availability of CX flights and these seats that have been allocated to BA, JAL, et al. are just not available for AA to book.
I don't know about the rest of this but there is definitely two systems they can check. When I booked our six, the agent found some of them where she usually looks and others she looked for point to point. Not exactly sure what it means but they did not all come up where she usually looked. On the other hand my tickets have been on request for 11 days, so it might not be such a good system
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b
Thanks for the info. It looks like only affecting for trips between 18 August 2015 and 10 October 2015 inclusive. My trip is not until late December.

XXX is in the same region (SIN/SGN/HAN etc). Unfortunately, it's booked with Avios, so I'll have to deal with BA.

Thanks. Good to know. But, I'll have to call BA, hopefully, they are as easy as AA.
I've also made repeated changes with BA. No problem.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
What a crazy game we play. Have been checking obsessively for award tix for my wife and I. Incredibly, availability went from nothing in all classes to 6 J seats on our route today. Needless to say I call AA right away - not only do I get through immediatey (insane - I can't remember the last time this happened), but the agent was extraordinarily competent (becoming rarer these days) and found the exact availability I was seeing on BA. Put it on hold without any issues. Just for the hell of it I check BA right afterwards, and there's no availability again - in any class! Maybe time to buy a lottery ticket. If our plans fall through, I may even do y'all a solid and post if our award space goes back into inventory...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:52 pm

I just wanted to report back on my issue several pages ago, about how long to wait for ticketing, and thank everyone who responded with advice at that time. To recap my experience:

I found F availability for 2 HKG-JFK three days prior to flight date, on BA.com. I was in Manila, and I called the local AA office, for which there was no wait. Fyi, I did not feed her any flights, she readily found them for me, incuding the MNL-HKG leg in J (no F cabin). For those familiar with Manila traffic, you will understand when I declined to visit the AA office to pay for it and for them to ticket it, but in hindsight that may have been a mistake. Instead, I called into the US AA number to pay, and the request was put in the queue. It was Friday morning in Manila. I was waiting in the queue which didn't clear until Monday afternoon, for my Tuesday morning flight. Agents reassured me everything looked fine and there would be no issues, but in hindsight, if I had trekked to the local AA office they claim they would have ticketed it for me that same day.

In the meantime, since I had the CX locator, I called the local CX office to see the cabin load, since AA only books the middle seats. The CX website had shown all seats occupied, so I was surprised to hear it was 4/6 and that 1K and 2K were available, and I was able to transfer. ETA: At the same time she was changing my seats, the CX agent reminded me that my reservation hadn't ticketed yet. Upon checking BA.com, I never saw an additional seat open up for redemption up to the day of the flight.

All in all can't complain about the process, for my first time on CX F, including The Wing and the cabanas.

Last edited by ENFO; Aug 19, 2015 at 8:06 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ENFO
I just wanted to report back on my issue several pages ago, about how long to wait for ticketing, and thank everyone who responded with advice at that time. To recap my experience:

I found F availability for 2 HKG-JFK three days prior to flight date, on BA.com. I was in Manila, and I called the local AA office, for which there was no wait. Fyi, I did not feed her any flights, she readily found them for me, incuding the MNL-HKG leg in J (no F cabin). For those familiar with Manila traffic, you will understand when I declined to visit the AA office to pay for it and for them to ticket it, but in hindsight that may have been a mistake. Instead, I called into the US AA number to pay, and the request was put in the queue. It was Friday morning in Manila. I was waiting in the queue which didn't clear until Monday afternoon, for my Tuesday morning flight. Agents reassured me everything looked fine and there would be no issues, but in hindsight, if I had trekked to the local AA office they claim they would have ticketed it for me that same day.
I find the Manila office staff to be fairly competent last few times I dealt with them. I last visited the office on March and they told me they are able to do the ticketing without going to the office anymore and I had the option of paying via bank transfer (BDO IIRC).

In my experience, the call center AAgents will assure you that everything is fine and don't really escalate for 'On Request' status unless the flight is within hours time. I've learned to just keep a constant eye on it and call them when necessary.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I've been reading a lot of older comments and firstly wanted to thank everyone for their insights! I am planning to redeem tickets shortly for next summer. On the way out, my husband and I are flying separately and we should be able to get a single F each. However, on the way back we are flying together and I wanted to get thoughts on strategy. We will fly back from either BKK or SIN either on a Sunday or Monday in mid August. We won't be able to do midweek. If we book 1 F and 1 J, what is the probability that a second F should open on either 840 or 846? I'm torn also between spending our last week constantly checking for the F seat. But it would be lovely if we could both be on F together. Does anyone have any experience? If it's probable, then I would do 1F 1J, else it maybe simpler to do 2 J and not worry about upgrading from a foreign location. Is it easy to do via local AA office in BKK?
Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by geniza151
I've been reading a lot of older comments and firstly wanted to thank everyone for their insights! I am planning to redeem tickets shortly for next summer. On the way out, my husband and I are flying separately and we should be able to get a single F each. However, on the way back we are flying together and I wanted to get thoughts on strategy. We will fly back from either BKK or SIN either on a Sunday or Monday in mid August. We won't be able to do midweek. If we book 1 F and 1 J, what is the probability that a second F should open on either 840 or 846? I'm torn also between spending our last week constantly checking for the F seat. But it would be lovely if we could both be on F together. Does anyone have any experience? If it's probable, then I would do 1F 1J, else it maybe simpler to do 2 J and not worry about upgrading from a foreign location. Is it easy to do via local AA office in BKK?
Thanks a lot!
It's pretty simple, though it may sound crass. Don't be a cheapskate. Set up an awardnexus alert to notify you of an additional F award. Then call the States and ticket it, from your mobile. Collectively, this won't set you back more than $75, tops. Totally worth it to avoid having to check your final week and/or dealing with local ticketing offices.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
It's not crass, and maybe I didn't express myself properly. That sounds great and I'd spend a couple of hundred if it meant getting us both in F. But what is the probability it will open? I would rather us both be in J than split 1J 1F on the way back. I read earlier that late August from HKG is a busy period. If there's a good chance we could get a F ticket in mid August on a weekend, that would be my preferred strategy.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
It's not crass, and maybe I didn't express myself properly. That sounds great and I'd spend a couple of hundred if it meant getting us both in F. But what is the probability it will open? I would rather us both be in J than split 1J 1F on the way back. I read earlier that late August from HKG is a busy period. If there's a good chance we could get a F ticket in mid August on a weekend, that would be my preferred strategy.
I've been looking at mid/late August inventory pretty closely. I'm looking for late (last week of) August HKG-JFK, and it looks like CX is a bit stingier than usual in releasing space. Example: it's less than 7 days out, and the flight I'm looking to upgrade on is still F4. Most other flights the same week are actually F3 or below though, and that is through purchases, not awards. Cathay has already released JFK-HKG awards down to F3 for the same week though, so they are definitely anticipating more traffic eastbound. I am currently in the 1J 1F situation, but it's not the end of the world for me if I don't get the last seat (I got seat 11K so will be right behind my wife).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It's pretty simple, though it may sound crass. Don't be a cheapskate. Set up an awardnexus alert to notify you of an additional F award. Then call the States and ticket it, from your mobile. Collectively, this won't set you back more than $75, tops. Totally worth it to avoid having to check your final week and/or dealing with local ticketing offices.
I agree with Jamie. Buy an awardnexus "trip pass" and setup a daily scan. For now your strategy should be to secure 1F and 1J and look for the 2nd F seat to open up. I'd say that your odds of getting one more F are reasonably good though I will say that I have no experience of weekend travel loads.

AA has a local phone number in Singapore. I don't know where it ultimately connects to but I used it a couple of weeks ago and had no problems with them knowing how to handle my request (moving from J to F at less than 24 hours before flight time).

DAK
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:06 pm

Awardnexus is quite overpriced if you look at its per-search cost. Wandr.me (The Wandering Aramean) is free and works fine.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Awardnexus is quite overpriced if you look at its per-search cost. Wandr.me (The Wandering Aramean) is free and works fine.
You get almost unlimited "trip pass" searches for $35, good for one year. And can automate a daily search. In addition you can join for free and request something like 100 credits every 3 months for searches that are outside of your trip pass.

DAK
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:00 pm

I'd say the earlier in August, the better, and I would agree that overall chances are worth risking 12,500 miles. That's the diff between J and F. If you fail to get a second F award and truly refuse to separate on board, I'm sure the J passenger seated next to you or spouse in J would gladly take your F seat. Who in their right mind would turn that down? I've confronted this fate in the past when holding 3 F and 1 J, and have been prepared to ask for a swap on board so that only two of us sit up front rather than sticking just one of us in J. Luckily, ex-JFK, I've always been able to secure the fourth award (but early in the month). Good luck - Jamie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.