Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:21 am

Not entirely.

They will go back only if the revenue management system doesn't detect a higher demand for seats. Also if someone in their own program is waitlisted on that award seat, it won't go back.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Interesting. When you say "These liasons work only until 11 PM Central Time and not on weekends.", I would hope that excludes close in bookings?
Yes, they have a backup procedure for those departing almost immediately.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:14 pm

FWIW - My trip in November has been on request with CX for over a week. Called AA about something else and asked about the CX ticket. The answer is the same as we have heard here... there is queue... earlier departures get priority.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
FWIW - My trip in November has been on request with CX for over a week. Called AA about something else and asked about the CX ticket. The answer is the same as we have heard here... there is queue... earlier departures get priority.
Mine took a week once. There have been reports on here that it has taken even longer. Do you have a complicated itinerary? I understand your anxiety. Maybe things are taking longer since the AA/US FF programs combined. ???
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Mine took a week once. There have been reports on here that it has taken even longer. Do you have a complicated itinerary? I understand your anxiety. Maybe things are taking longer since the AA/US FF programs combined. ???
Folks, relax. I made a December res for August travel, it ticketed mid January. I made a res on the same flight 20 hrs before departure and it ticketed in 45 minutes.

Ps - flew CX841 JFKHKG yesterday, we had five awards in First, though cancelled one an hour before departure due sister's plans changed. "Sit wherever you like, the cabin is yours" is a nice way to be greeted.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: QFF
Mine is for the beginning of September, but need to make a connecting flight on an non-AA partner straight after it so may just bite the bullet and book that in the hope that this redemption with CX comes through fine.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:17 am

No anxiety on my part. I know someone else upthread was worried and I was just pointing out it happens. CX only puts x amount of people on the job. At some point it will be automated and this will all go away.

I dont think it has anything to do with the merger. Sometimes it takes longer.

My itinerary is straight forward. Two tickets, HKG-BKK roundtrip.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:25 am

CX does not issue the tickets. What happens after you make a CX award booking on AA is that the reservation goes into a queue for a liaison at AA to review the reservation to ensure it meets all the rules. These liasons work only until 11 PM Central Time and not on weekends. Reservations for close in travel dates get priority. I have found that once the reservation is made it takes anywhere from a few minutes to up to a week for it to be ticketed. I also found that reservations made on Friday, Sat. or Sundays typically take longer than those made, say, on a Monday or Tuesday.
Thanks for this. I just found and booked 2 F seats HKG-JFK for 3 days from now. My status says "on request" since 8/6/15. Since it was a Friday early morning here in Asia (Thursday afternoon EST), do I expect to ticket on Monday for a Tuesday morning departure?

FYI I found availability on BA.com, I didn't double check on any other website, and the AA agent had no trouble seeing it. My seats are already assigned (last two seats in the F cabin apparently), and I have the CX locator, but it's not working on the CX site.

I'm nervous because I'm holding another reservation on DL for the same day, that I need to cancel now if I'm going to get my miles back.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:32 am

Your CX record locator should be working on the CX site, mine were available immediately. Maybe check it on Qatar site. If it is not on there either, if it was me, I would be calling CX to confirm that they have me booked on the flight.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Your CX record locator should be working on the CX site, mine were available immediately. Maybe check it on Qatar site. If it is not on there either, if it was me, I would be calling CX to confirm that they have me booked on the flight.
Thanks! I guess I tried it too soon after talking to AA. I tried it again just now, and I was able to see my booking. The seats I chose are noted, with no ability to change them online (I was just curious if the cabin load would show). Does this mean I'm safe to cancel my other flight, even if I haven't been ticketed?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ENFO
Thanks! I guess I tried it too soon after talking to AA. I tried it again just now, and I was able to see my booking. The seats I chose are noted, with no ability to change them online (I was just curious if the cabin load would show). Does this mean I'm safe to cancel my other flight, even if I haven't been ticketed?
NO - don't cancel. Call AA immediately and say you are departing in less than 3 days and need the ticket to be issued now. Ask for a supervisor. As I understand it, the liaisons will not be there over the weekend so this is best straightened out today.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ENFO
It's my understanding that these tickets aren't worked over the weekend. Not sure who "works" them (CX or AA), but given the time difference and how soon your trip is, it probably wouldn't hurt to call in and ask at some point this weekend (after close of business US Friday). I've had a CX itinerary fail to ticket for 2 weeks because AA collected the fee incorrectly. Once I called to ask about it, they noticed the error, fixed it, and the res ticketed within a few hours.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
It's my understanding that these tickets aren't worked over the weekend. Not sure who "works" them (CX or AA), but given the time difference and how soon your trip is, it probably wouldn't hurt to call in and ask at some point this weekend (after close of business US Friday). I've had a CX itinerary fail to ticket for 2 weeks because AA collected the fee incorrectly. Once I called to ask about it, they noticed the error, fixed it, and the res ticketed within a few hours.
They ARE able to ticket these quickly... it drives me crazy that they often don't, even when departures are imminent, but they ARE able to do it if you call and explain a particularly urgent situation. I've had a HKG-SFO F award fail to ticket in the entire week preceding the flight I had planned to take last November. After several unsuccessful calls to AA, I showed up at the HKG CX transit desk (arriving via BKK on TG) 4 hours before my flight with my printed confirmation, only to find that it was still on request. It took an hour and a half at that point, after calls from both me and CX, for AA to push through the ticket, but it worked out in the end. Granted, I'm a lowly plat, and not EXP, but it still blows my mind how archaic and slow AA's ticketing process is. And it was over the weekend, FWIW.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
They ARE able to ticket these quickly... it drives me crazy that they often don't, even when departures are imminent, but they ARE able to do it if you call and explain a particularly urgent situation. I've had a HKG-SFO F award fail to ticket in the entire week preceding the flight I had planned to take last November. After several unsuccessful calls to AA, I showed up at the HKG CX transit desk (arriving via BKK on TG) 4 hours before my flight with my printed confirmation, only to find that it was still on request. It took an hour and a half at that point, after calls from both me and CX, for AA to push through the ticket, but it worked out in the end. Granted, I'm a lowly plat, and not EXP, but it still blows my mind how archaic and slow AA's ticketing process is. And it was over the weekend, FWIW.
I think the problem is that if an AA agent books you space on a routing that is "illegal" then the other carrier can bill AA a tremendous amount more than it should be. Now I don't know how this billing goes back and forth -whether AA pays in miles or in some form of cash - but I believe the review process at AA is to protect from being overcharged due to an improper routing.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:06 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.