Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold
status of CX 881 on Feb. 11, 2016?

I have one F and one J AA award ticketed on CX 881 LAX-HKG for Feb. 11. I booked them at 330 days out. I have checked religiously almost every single day for the second F seat and there has never been a second one released. I have the miles for the second F seat for my husband. Are the odds of another one being released good? I picked this time frame to travel in as not being high season.

Can anyone tell me the status of this flight as of now?

How would an EF alert work for CX award seats? Or would it? I have a friend with an EF subscription who will put on an alert for me but it doesn't look like EF does CX awards.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by susiesan
I have one F and one J AA award ticketed on CX 881 LAX-HKG for Feb. 11. I booked them at 330 days out. I have checked religiously almost every single day for the second F seat and there has never been a second one released. I have the miles for the second F seat for my husband. Are the odds of another one being released good? I picked this time frame to travel in as not being high season.

How would an EF alert work for CX award seats? Or would it? I have a friend with an EF subscription who will put on an alert for me but it doesn't look like EF does CX awards.
I would put it at close to 100% (unless your flight got merged into another ex LAX) - the Monday of that week is Chinese New Year and the entire week is a holiday
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:37 pm

Subscribe to AwardNexus.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

EF does not show CX awards.

11 Feb is high season in that region, but it is not that bad for ex-US flights.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Slightly off topic. Take the info for what's it worth. This is what I heard from a friend of mine who's CX cabin crew. On the manifest, it has the info of the passenger; fare you paid, reason for upgrade, redemption, etc. They also know that a lot of those redeemers are AA members. They have their own app that gives the loading. Example, 3 days out. The loading goes from A1 to A5 (A is the fcl code). All those last minute fcl are redemption tickets and a majority of it coming from AA. Lately, they've noticed it going from A1 to A3.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
I would put it at close to 100% (unless your flight got merged into another ex LAX) - the Monday of that week is Chinese New Year and the entire week is a holiday
Yes, I know that. I figured all the people wanting to go from US to Hing Kong would already be there 4 days before I leave. I was able to get the 1 F seat on my first call to AA along with the J seat for that exact date which was my first choice.

jamie: I have an awardnexus account. I have used it before. It doesn't send alerts though. Guess I'll just have to manually start checking at 14 days before flying or whatever time frame is advised.

Where does everyone see the loading information? How do you know what the current loading is on your flight?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 am

Yes, I know that. I figured all the people wanting to go from US to Hing Kong would already be there 4 days before I leave. I was able to get the 1 F seat on my first call to AA along with the J seat for that exact date which was my first choice.

jamie: I have an awardnexus account. I have used it before. It doesn't send alerts though. Guess I'll just have to manually start checking at 14 days before flying or whatever time frame is advised.

Where does everyone see the loading information? How do you know what the current loading is on your flight?
From the menu bar, under "award search" you can pull down "create email alert".

Expert flyer can give load information, insofar as the number of F seats selling. F4 means 4 for sale. You can also experiment by trying to buy a number of seats between 1 and 6 on the CX website, I suppose. Trial and error.

As far as the award release, my recent experience getting 4 F awards for a flight that originally started at F6 went like this: first award 9 months out (unusual), second and third seat (when flight was F5) 10 days out, fourth seat (when flight was F3) three and a half days out. Our flight went out with the remaining two seats unsold. Quite nice having the cabin to ourselves, we had them make up seats 1A and 2A as beds early on, whereas the family sat together in D/K seats. My wife and I simply moved over to the A side when we felt like sleeping.

Jamie
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
Slightly off topic. Take the info for what's it worth. This is what I heard from a friend of mine who's CX cabin crew. On the manifest, it has the info of the passenger; fare you paid, reason for upgrade, redemption, etc. They also know that a lot of those redeemers are AA members. They have their own app that gives the loading. Example, 3 days out. The loading goes from A1 to A5 (A is the fcl code). All those last minute fcl are redemption tickets and a majority of it coming from AA. Lately, they've noticed it going from A1 to A3.
I don't understand the A5 and A3 references.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
From the menu bar, under "award search" you can pull down "create email alert".

Expert flyer can give load information, insofar as the number of F seats selling. F4 means 4 for sale. You can also experiment by trying to buy a number of seats between 1 and 6 on the CX website, I suppose. Trial and error.

As far as the award release, my recent experience getting 4 F awards for a flight that originally started at F6 went like this: first award 9 months out (unusual), second and third seat (when flight was F5) 10 days out, fourth seat (when flight was F3) three and a half days out. Our flight went out with the remaining two seats unsold. Quite nice having the cabin to ourselves, we had them make up seats 1A and 2A as beds early on, whereas the family sat together in D/K seats. My wife and I simply moved over to the A side when we felt like sleeping.

Jamie
Thanks, Jamie. You are a font of information. I will follow your advice and start looking 10 days prior to the trip.

Now if i could find some good advice on when UL Sri Lankan releases a second J seat for my husband. Right now on Feb. 26 UL 454 CMB-NRT I'm in J he's in coach and he's not happy for a 7 hour flight. But it's all there is. I've been using BA web site to check but never a second J seat.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:10 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I don't understand the A5 and A3 references.
A is the code for fcl. J would be for business class. There are 6 available seats in fcl. A3 would mean 3 occupied in fcl.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:42 am
Suspended

Flight attendants = never a good source of this kind of information.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:03 am

...Our flight went out with the remaining two seats unsold. Quite nice having the cabin to ourselves, we had them make up seats 1A and 2A as beds early on, whereas the family sat together in D/K seats. My wife and I simply moved over to the A side when we felt like sleeping.

Jamie
That is soooooo cool! You guys had your own 777! Must have been great to live like a Saudi prince for a while!!!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:05 pm

A is the code for fcl. J would be for business class. There are 6 available seats in fcl. A3 would mean 3 occupied in fcl.
Got it, now you're talking my language. I thought perhaps it had to do with the specifics of the passenger. Seems strange that they'd identify the booking carrier. I mean, what difference does it make if you booked with American or Finnair?

FWIW - I set up expertflyer alerts on the CX flights I'm interested in, so each time somebody makes a booking in F, I'm notified.

Best, Jamie
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:06 pm

Thanks, Jamie. You are a font of information. I will follow your advice and start looking 10 days prior to the trip.

Now if i could find some good advice on when UL Sri Lankan releases a second J seat for my husband. Right now on Feb. 26 UL 454 CMB-NRT I'm in J he's in coach and he's not happy for a 7 hour flight. But it's all there is. I've been using BA web site to check but never a second J seat.
If BA site shows Sri Lankan inventory, then AwardNexus can check daily and send you an email. Good luck.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
That is soooooo cool! You guys had your own 777! Must have been great to live like a Saudi prince for a while!!!
Best part was negotiating with the kids: you can have my ice cream if I can have your caviar.

So I think I had four servings over the course of the flight; mine, the kids, and they had a spare.

CX really is great for premium, family travel. Granted, EK/SQ/JL etc go for utmost privacy in F, so for a solo traveler I can see CX being viewed as somewhat less than optimal. But I find it is the perfect mix of luxury yet still feeling like you're a family, traveling together. The memory of building Legos in a suite with my son while approaching the North Pole is something I'll always cherish.

Jamie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.