Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The old JL J seats, which are currently still being used on LAXKIX, are terrible as you say. The new ones, which are currently only used to JFK and DFW (starting Monday) are industry best.
The poster mentioned TYO-SAN flight which the J is in the same crappy old J seat.

As you said, only the NRT-JFK and NRT-DFW have the new J seats. I am not sure it is "the best" but it certainly a big step up from the crappy old J which I am very surprised JL put them on their 787s. Though personally I much prefer 777 over 787 which the body is narrower hence less space for seats. The stupid window "shade" is too slow to change shade. I understand it may reduce the weight of an actual shade but from passenger's usage standpoint, the plain old real window shade works much better.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
... the CX seat assignment of desirable seats does NOT go over to AA system, and that AFFECTS the seat assignment on the subsequent AA flight! ....

I could NOT get AA to save my seats on the LAX-MIA segment when doing it online. ...

...it definitely signals the CX blocking of desirable seats is REAL
As mentioned up thread, unless this is an issue of the last 3-4 days, this simply does not apply to EXP/Emerald.

This past weekend (and this entire year) we had no problem grabbing ANY seat on a CX flight (except the soft block of 2A/2K bassinets). We are flying from South Florida via Boston to Hong Kong (and return). I am in 1A and Mrs 110pgl is in 11A. And we have our seats on the AA legs as well - all done with the AA agent.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
If you simply call CX and ask them to assign the seats, and they are open, they will. I have 3 upcoming longhauls on CX, all awards issued by AA or BA, with 5 pax on each flight. We are in row 11 and 12 on all flights. I have been booking 5 seats on CX for 5 or 6 years now, and using the CX online seat selection w CX PNR selection has always been wonky, so I have always called in to CX and they have gotten me exactly what I want. Only one year did I have a challenge and that was because I had one child under 2 yrs old and there was an oxygen mask issue in the first row of the minicabin (which I still don't understand) that required us to arrange ourselves somewhat differently.
The issue w CX seat selection via AA that you are describing below sounds like an unintended consequence of a problem between AA and CX systems. Unless you call CX and they tell you they absolutely will not assign those CX seats to you, I don't think you are correct in raising this as an issue of CX blocking certain seats on non CX award redemptions.

Truly crazy but this system behavior seems to REAFFIRM what I have been told by CX people that CX now blocking desirable seats for its elites (we are AA gold / OW ruby but the 11K still does not go over to AA).

BTW, before the issue is fixed, QR site would NOT save any AA seat selection either, despite QR site has no problem confirmed 11K on CX.

I do not know since when this happens as we traveled earlier this year in same CX-AA combo - the seat selection either is totally independent, or CX sent whatever seats it confirmed to AA, so AA side had no issue matching the number of persons traveled. No idea where the issue(s) lie currently.

Bottom line, if you have AA segment(s) following CX segment(s), you need to first just take whatever CX seats AA has access to, then get the AA seat assignment done. After that, go back to pick your CX seats either from CX site or from QR site whichever has better choices.

This is NEW to me - it definitely signals the CX blocking of desirable seats is REAL, even though you may be able to get around it from QR site, but not always - as evidenced by our Sept trip that Row 11 also shows Blocked on QR site, though 1A is available on QR site despite showing blocked on CX site.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
LAX-NRT also has the new JL J suite. I agree, they are really nice and from a comfort and privacy standpoint are about my favorite right now.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The old JL J seats, which are currently still being used on LAXKIX, are terrible as you say. The new ones, which are currently only used to JFK and DFW (starting Monday) are industry best.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:09 pm

FWIW - LAX Folks

Looking for dates to Asia, came across some first class seats on December 8th...

LAX-NRT-HKG - First Class
LAX-KIX-HKG - First Class

A mix of JAL and CX.

The dates don't work for me, but, hopefully they are of use for someone here.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by stephem
If you simply call CX and ask them to assign the seats, and they are open, they will. I have 3 upcoming longhauls on CX, all awards issued by AA or BA, with 5 pax on each flight. We are in row 11 and 12 on all flights. I have been booking 5 seats on CX for 5 or 6 years now, and using the CX online seat selection w CX PNR selection has always been wonky, so I have always called in to CX and they have gotten me exactly what I want. Only one year did I have a challenge and that was because I had one child under 2 yrs old and there was an oxygen mask issue in the first row of the minicabin (which I still don't understand) that required us to arrange ourselves somewhat differently.
The issue w CX seat selection via AA that you are describing below sounds like an unintended consequence of a problem between AA and CX systems. Unless you call CX and they tell you they absolutely will not assign those CX seats to you, I don't think you are correct in raising this as an issue of CX blocking certain seats on non CX award redemptions.
My trick for selecting CX seats is through Qatar Airways' website. All you need is your CX record locator. Works perfectly.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by canuckshark
My trick for selecting CX seats is through Qatar Airways' website. All you need is your CX record locator. Works perfectly.
Curious... why not go to the CX site to do this? I always get my CX locator and if I need to change seats, I go there.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The JL 787 seats are not good. We flew KIX-LAX in May this year on the same config and very much regretted it as we could have taken the chance not to book that but wait for CX availability from HKG instead as we could return either from HKG or from JPN. We booked the JL flight because we were en route to Europe earlier and wanted to nail down flights before we left home.
TYO to SAN is the other option but since it is much easier to overnight at LAX than SAN, we decided to fly home from Osaka instead of Tokyo. The JL lounge at KIX was BAD too.
I can see if availability opens up close in on CX or JL J out of LAX/SFO (though he'd also need a PHX-LAX/SFO segment), but it would be either JL J on the 787 or nothing but paying for coach, not even a Y award (and nothing isn't really an option); CX has Y+ but that isn't bookable with AA miles (and I doubt it's better than JL old slanty J anyway).

JL 787 J might be bad in comparison to JL/CX lieflats but I've done OZ/LH slanty seats and TATL Y... not very close IMO, J is always >>> than Y. Even if it's "terrible" J and it's hard to keep from slipping down the slope of slanty J.

(Also, the person in question doesn't fly internationally very often, and when he does it's in Y. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to not have someone's elbow in his ribs for 12 hours, and I've seen him sleep in Lazyboy chairs.)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Curious... why not go to the CX site to do this? I always get my CX locator and if I need to change seats, I go there.
On mobile, so can't see your profile, but are you EXP?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
On mobile, so can't see your profile, but are you EXP?
Yes
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned up thread, unless this is an issue of the last 3-4 days, this simply does not apply to EXP/Emerald.

This past weekend (and this entire year) we had no problem grabbing ANY seat on a CX flight (except the soft block of 2A/2K bassinets). We are flying from South Florida via Boston to Hong Kong (and return). I am in 1A and Mrs 110pgl is in 11A. And we have our seats on the AA legs as well - all done with the AA agent.
I posted my experience that I discovered from 2 days ago when I failed to get AA to save the seat assignment on the LAX-MIA segment. It was resolved by an AAgent with some work around. This is for anyone who is unlucky enough to run into similar issue, hope this would help. Your experiences being as smooth as silk, then it is great. May be being Emerald let the 1A 1K open up for you so the AAgent can see it. But it does not help me or any others that are not the top tier elites or nobody who might run into the same issue in the future.

As lowly AA Golds and OneWorld Rubies only, the AAgents do NOT see the CX Blocked seats for our trip. The whole row of 11, 15A and window seats are blocked from the AAgent's access, just as reported by another poster who does not have status at all, only a few posts up.

What I posted could be what the lower tier elites or the peons may encounter. If you are EXP, that does not concern you, nor your experience of how smooth it is, also does not apply to Gold or non-elites.

I am not surprised at all about CX blocks the desirable seats for elites whether its own or including Emerald. What I am really surprised is, without the CX seat assignments done by AA, or done with seats that AA can access (for the lowly flyers), the AA segment seat assignment could not be done. This is the primary purpose of my post as that is something totally new to me after flying doz or more such CX/AA combo in the past 2 to 3 years.

I do not know when this crazy thing starts but that is what it is. Took me a good amount of time to figure out how to get it fixed. Hopefully others if unlucky enough to encounter similar issue, they know how to work around it if they read the thread so they do not need to waste their time.

OTOH, the agent had time on hand and we chatted. She did NOT know about the March 22nd devaluation. She wanted to know where to find the information so I google the new charts and gave her the URLs. She was shocked on the jump from 67.5K to 110K in the F award, and the nut case 95K AAnytime domestic F one-way...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Yes
Could be that then; haven't checked since becoming EXP, but I know at PLT or less I could basically do nothing on the CX site last year (2014). QR site could not have cared less about status.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry you miss the point - what I post is NOT about unable to get CX seats. Our seats are CONFIRMED on CX site. The issue is, it seems now CX have put ELITE Status to associate with seat assignment privilege and that seems to be the issue that despite I am in a Confirmed 11K, the information is NOT viewable by AA because I am just a lowly Gold.

I have always been able to select seats on CX site without the need to call them at all. This is the first time that CX seat assignment does not carry over to AA so AA would not let me select seats on the AA's own segment. Even the AAgents could not do it.

The seats are ALREADY selected on CX, as CONFIRMED. There is no need to even call CX to assign those seats because they are NOT even shown as blocked. They are open for selection if you pay attention to what I wrote about the situation. However Row 11 apparently is not considered as accessible by AA for those who are NOT Emeralds. That is where AA system has issue - it sees one of us in 12K but could not see where the 2nd passenger is, so AA system refuses to let us have seats on the LAX-MIA segment. TWO AAgents tried to get the 11K over, but failed. First agent's solution is to have me call CX to get it "released" or "sent over" to AA.

For goodness sake, I did try, for 30 min, to reach CX on 3 calls. The first one CX system hang up on me when I select "redemption tickets:" The CX system simply said we were experiencing high number of callers then the phone disconnected! The 2nd call was just in endless loop of announcement on purchasing tickets blah blah blah. So I hang up. The 3rd call after I chose an option it went to a menu that the sound was so low that I could not ever make out what it said and had to hang up.

So I called AA again. The 2nd AAgent worked with me on my suggestion of putting us to CX seats that AA has access - apparently what AA has access is determined by the traveler's OneWorld status - lowly golds like us dont have access to the desirable seats - so my experience would NOT be the same as those being EXP. And I do think this is NEW. Even though some here still refuse to think so. I only post MY Experience as a Gold. So if you are EXP, you obviously have a much better experience. May be Plat also have better experience than me. No idea.

The reality is, if AA system does not see the CX assignment that matches up the number of passengers, AA system would refuse to let AAgent to assign seat until the discrepancy has been resolved. In our case, the discrepancy is created because one of us is in the "blocked" Row 11 so even I have the CONFIRMED 11K on CX site, AA could not see me in 11K because it is "blocked:" or "reserved" for Elites above Gold.

The work around is to put yourself in the CX seats AA could access, based on the passenger's status, then AA can assign seats on both CX and AA segments. After the AA segment is done, then one can freely go back to CX to get the more desirable seats.

Originally Posted by stephem

Last edited by Happy; Nov 25, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Could be that then; haven't checked since becoming EXP, but I know at PLT or less I could basically do nothing on the CX site last year (2014). QR site could not have cared less about status.
That is the reason for my long post - for those who are below EXP, there is real issue on AA segment's seat assignment if you pick the CX seats that are not open for you on CX but you can get it from QR site, the information would not go over to AA, thus preventing the seat assignment on the AA segment.

In the scenario I posted, the seats actually are available on CX own site for me to choose. No need to go thru QR. Though I dont know if this is a fluke on CX site because our subsequent trip in Sept row 11 is blocked. But the trip in June, row 11 is open to select. Yet, AA could not see me in 11K, hence it "thinks" only one passenger on CX segment on a 2 passengers PNR, and the system rejected any seat selection on the AA's own LAX-MIA - until the 2nd AAgent and I played with the work around to trick it.

This is totally new to me as I have not experienced any such issue over doz of CX/AA combo in the past 2 to 3 years up to this Spring.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zinc_Saucier
Could work, but I haven't seen any of the direct flights with any SAAver inventory

Edit: Though a connection through SFO is also on the 321T so that might book into the right fare bucket....
So now I have the following....
JFK-SFO-LAX-HKG-DPS

AA: JFK-SFO (3 cabin F)
AA: SFO-LAX (F)
CX: LAX-HKG (J)
CX: HKG-DPS (J)

The agent after she made the change had no idea what I was trying to ask for when I wanted to price it at 67,500 one way and voluntarily downgrade the LAX-HKG to J until they open it up later. I had her double check with revenue (or something similar) and they said even though it's a 3 cabin F, the ticket still prices at 55,000.

Is that correct? Any way to get it to price at F? I really don't want to pay a 30,000 mile premium after 3/2016 when F becomes available a few days before my flight (August).

I'm pretty stuck on the CX option on the way out there. I've got my eyes on the Ritz HK for a night before heading to DPS. Plus, I'm flying JL back and already locked down 2 J seats on the 787 NRT-DFW, which I'm pretty excited about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.