Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
ICN-DFW this week.
1 seat in PE available when I asked about Y -> PE upgrade at check in - was told at airport that seat was available, but upgrade was "not possible at the Incheon station" and to check at gate. Gate was unable to process it as well. Every seat ended up being filled.
jumbotusk likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Looks like this "unofficial benefit" is not available anymore...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Coming back DFW-ICN on Sunday, DFW check in and AC both confirmed that 3 PE seats were available but couldn't/didn't do anything. Flight was oversold, so may have been able to get opped-up into PE at gate, but took VDB instead for same flight next day. Monday J/PE both booked solid. Lot's of EXP's in Y. Definitely was not offered either day.
fedechat likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Any more detail on how this program works for EXPs on the PE equipped Hawaii flights? I have an SWU waitlisted for DFW-OGG that's looking iffy, but PE is pretty open. Hoping to at least get into PE if not a last minute J upgrade.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Platinum
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Any more detail on how this program works for EXPs on the PE equipped Hawaii flights? I have an SWU waitlisted for DFW-OGG that's looking iffy, but PE is pretty open. Hoping to at least get into PE if not a last minute J upgrade.
My husband is EXP and I'm PLAT. We both had award tickets booked on separate reservations for OGG-DFW. The flight had about 8 PE seats at check-in. We called AA, and the agents claimed they "linked" our reservations so that we would both clear if there were any upgrades. However, when the upgrade list was published, only my husband's name was on it.

I think this is a case of some agents knowing how to process this. When we checked in at the airport, we explained what we wanted to do to the agent (that I wanted to be my EXP husband's companion and added to the upgrade list), and she understood. She added me to the upgrade list, and then we were both subsequently upgraded to PE for the OGG-DFW flight.

Note: Since there were no seats available in business, the agents worked down the upgrade list and put everyone into PE instead. We did NOT use SWU to be added to the list.
E55 likes this.

Last edited by kt729; Jan 21, 2018 at 8:55 pm Reason: Added note at the bottom about how things were processed.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
so what I gather from this tweet is that if you want to redeem your SWU to sit in J you better damn make sure it's on a 2 class aircraft otherwise you're screwed.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enviroian
so what I gather from this tweet is that if you want to redeem your SWU to sit in J you better damn make sure it's on a 2 class aircraft otherwise you're screwed.
When did this happen? This would be a major devaluation....
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Exclamation

Originally Posted by nk15
When did this happen? This would be a major devaluation....
It didn't.

bse118, econometrics and ajwMiami like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
You seem to be a rather "excitable" poster on FT. Have you paused for a moment and considered the possibility that the AA twitter rep might have made a mistake in their response rather than automatically making one giant step to "we're screwed?" You always seem to be looking for the conspiracy theory for some reason...

Regards
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by scubadu
You seem to be a rather "excitable" poster on FT
Exactly!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So I assume the rep isn’t reliable for the statement that W clears before Y?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
My experience on UPG Y to W.
Saturday 2/10. AA#908 EZE/MIA on a 772.
Flight was quite full even at time of booking, a few days before. I had to go with Y (K fare).
My first upgrade attempt was Y to J using SWU, but the lady at the check-in counter said they could not process it there, and had to call the EXP line. She also said less than 4 seats available with a few IRROPS (AA and UA flights to NYC got canceled only hours ago and paxs were getting re-accomodated wherever possible) so who knew if I could get it.
Then I asked how about Y to W. She said it had a "$0 value for EXP on certain tickets" but once again, she couldn't process it at the counter, I had to do it at the kiosks, even though I was already checked in.
She walked me over, we went through the whole processg and at a moment was offered Upgrades: Y to J not available and Y to W at $0; agreed to the latter, chose my seat and was printed a new BP.
I boarded with Group 2 (would have anyway being EXP) and sat on 13C (aisle, bulkhead).
Seat was ok, deffinitely appreciatte the extra width and space. Service on board was as discussed on other threads, a rare mix of elements from J and Y.
Still waiting for miles to post on my account to check what kind of EQM I got.

Last edited by pdcarg77; Feb 11, 2018 at 7:51 pm Reason: Wrong flight #
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:01 am

Has anyone had an upgrade Y-> W from LHR? I am just wondering if there was any attempt to collect the extra UK APD, or if AA pays this for pax who get the complimentary upgrade?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
Has anyone had an upgrade Y-> W from LHR? I am just wondering if there was any attempt to collect the extra UK APD, or if AA pays this for pax who get the complimentary upgrade?
A year ago or so I was upgraded from Y-J on the 77W at the gate (last seat too) and never paid anything extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.