Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Upgrades to Premium Economy EXP/CK

Has anyone seen this happen yet? I am flying JAL from NRT-LAX using miles in coach but I’ll switch to American if I can possibly get an upgrade to PE
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by aero0729
Has anyone seen this happen yet? I am flying JAL from NRT-LAX using miles in coach but I’ll switch to American if I can possibly get an upgrade to PE
Does it happen at airport only?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Does it happen at airport only?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28840350-post66.html
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:38 am

This is very vague:

I have a flight tomorrow and Premium Economy was EMPTY. Now 1 hour after the check in window opened, the seats next to me in MCE are open and there are seats taken in Premium Economy. I am guessing these are LFBU not sure if they were free or not. I cannot check in , my ticket just says pending and no one knows why. So how do I get this upgrade?

Also , I'm on an award ticket... would that still make me eligible for the free upgrade to Premium economy?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Call AA.
fedechat likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
This is very vague:

I have a flight tomorrow and Premium Economy was EMPTY. Now 1 hour after the check in window opened, the seats next to me in MCE are open and there are seats taken in Premium Economy. I am guessing these are LFBU not sure if they were free or not. I cannot check in, my ticket just says pending and no one knows why. So how do I get this upgrade?

Also, I'm on an award ticket... would that still make me eligible for the free upgrade to Premium economy?
The only time I've had my ticket status changed from "Ticketed" to "Pending" is when an upgrade is processing, so hopefully it's for that!
fedechat likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:56 pm

No upgrade process. Here is what American is telling me:

There are only free upgrades to Premium Economy on domestic routes that offer Prmeium Economy for sale. 3 different agents told me International is excluded.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:40 pm
Suspended

...Also , I'm on an award ticket... would that still make me eligible for the free upgrade to Premium economy?
I'd expect not.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:55 pm

No one at American knows anything anywhere. Just switched to JAL , happy to have a seat in Economy exactly as wide as American PE and probably better food and service. I’ll lose a few inches of legroom but better than winging it and getting stuck on AA in 3-3-3 787 Economy.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by ckx2
Just now at LAX - got paged and app showed my upgrade has cleared (after having been removed from the upgrade list due to unknown reasons). GA hands me over a new BP with premium economy seat. Upon asking why my upgrade into J hasn't cleared despite availability, he tells me that systemwide upgrades are only for next service class.

So now I'm sitting in PEY and I can already see that a SWU has been withdrawn from my account.

Pax sitting next to me is Plat Pro and got a complimentary upgrade from Y to PEY. Business class has two seats open.

Fun fact - my non status companion got upgraded using my SWU. Into business.

I'm pissed.
FWIW - AA has reinstated the deducted SWU as of today. However, no official confirmation or reply regarding this event yet.
aztimm and zpaul like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
FWIW - AA has reinstated the deducted SWU as of today. However, no official confirmation or reply regarding this event yet.
^

But I have to wonder what in their system allows them to deduct a swu -and- move people only to PE. Hopefully you get a reply soon, and LAX gate AAgents get retraining....
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Some airports or gate agents can mess it up, last year after getting my SWU confirmed just a couple of minutes before dropping my bags, they guy took 10 minutes processing my check in (lot of typing) and a day later 4 SWU were deducted from my account. A quick DM trough Twitter was enough to get my SWU back to my account but I don't know what that guy did.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:39 pm

Any further reports of same day Y->PE upgrade for EXP on international flights? Flying the 787-9 in a few days and PE looks to be wide open.

AA website says only flights to Hawaii qualify.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: LH HON
Aaaaand it's gone gain. Just checked my account and the reinstated SWU has been deducted once more. (No I did not request any upgrade, neither did I fly).

Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Geez, start calling in and escalating and involve higher ups and you’ll eventually get to someone who has the power to do manual overrides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.