Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the info! What's JW?
Johnny Walker
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the info! What's JW?

A massage would be nice before I board that 788 bound for lax 1810 departure.

ETA: this one? I will look at the PVG terminal map to see where this lounge is in relation to the departing AA Gate.

http://thetravelsisters.com/review-a...anghai-pudong/
yes. This w the lounge
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AAexec Paltinum , Hilton Lifetime diamond, Marriot Titanium
but if i upgrade mia to costa rica to first class then that would get me in correct?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by laguy35
but if i upgrade mia to costa rica to first class then that would get me in correct?
Originally Posted by controller1
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by laguy35
There's no 3-class First offered on MIA-Costa Rica. You're in business, which is the highest class offered. Just enjoy the oneworld Business lounge at LAX and stop worrying about it .
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:37 pm

Hi. I have an ambiguous situation and wanted to get some expert opinions here about lounge access. All flights are AA marketed & operated.

Outbound
JFK - LAX (J), connecting same day to LAX - HNL (2-class F)

Return
HNL - LAX (2-class F), then connecting same day to LAX - JFK (J)

Both include a segment between JFK and LAX, and I will certainly have access to Flagship Lounge, as an EXP, immediately before boarding these legs. But...

Q1: On the outbound trip, would I have access at LAX before leaving for HNL?
Q2: How about on my way back at HNL, before leaving for LAX?

I initially thought "No," but then there seems to be some language in there about connecting from/to eligible flights...perhaps more in international contexts...maybe. Thoughts??? Any input would be much appreciated
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by nyc10036
Hi. I have an ambiguous situation and wanted to get some expert opinions here about lounge access. All flights are AA marketed & operated.

Outbound

Return

Both include a segment between JFK and LAX, and I will certainly have access to Flagship Lounge, as an EXP, immediately before boarding these legs. But...

I initially thought "No," but then there seems to be some language in there about connecting from/to eligible flights...perhaps more in international contexts...maybe. Thoughts??? Any input would be much appreciated
No ambiguity. Call AA, and buy an Admirals Club membership prior to your trip. Enjoy access to AC lounges at every departure, arrival and connection airport (where available).

It's money well spent. Aloha, and enjoy your vacation.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc10036

Outbound

Return

Originally Posted by jcatman
No ambiguity. Call AA, and buy an Admirals Club membership prior to your trip. Enjoy access to AC lounges at every departure, arrival and connection airport (where available).

It's money well spent. Aloha, and enjoy your vacation.
As an EXP flying Transcon J in a 3 class flight will give you access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK, and the Qantas F Lounge at LAX before connecting to HNL. Not knowing what time your return flight departs and your connecting JFK flight departs from LAX, I can't comment on access to lounges in HNL, however, once again, you should have access to the QF First lounge at LAX (once again, due to the 3 class J as an EXP).

Not sure I would buy an AC membership if you're not a frequent flyer though.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I am flying MCO-MIA-LAX-SJC upgraded to J throughout. I believe I get AC access at all airports correct? If I have time in LAX, can I get QF F lounge as a OW E or just QF J lounge?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adambadam
I am flying MCO-MIA-LAX-SJC upgraded to J throughout. I believe I get AC access at all airports correct? If I have time in LAX, can I get QF F lounge as a OW E or just QF J lounge?
As an EXP flying J in a 3 class transcon, you should have access to the QF F Lounge, and AC access elsewhere. Sometimes the QF F Lounge gatekeepers are not very accommodating to that access rule though.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
for coming in with an answer unrelated to the question. Paying $450 for lounge access that the OP would have for "free" (no extra cost over the airfare) to an inferior lounge (the AC instead of F lounges) seems like terrible advice. See the responses that actually answer the OP's question.

Maybe paying for AC a membership is a good idea, maybe not; depends on your travel patterns, financial resources, and willingness to spend "unnecessary" money, in part. But the OP asked a simple question to which AC membership is irrelevant.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
for coming in with an answer unrelated to the question. Paying $450 for lounge access that the OP would have for "free" (no extra cost over the airfare) to an inferior lounge (the AC instead of F lounges) seems like terrible advice. See the responses that actually answer the OP's question.

Maybe paying for AC a membership is a good idea, maybe not; depends on your travel patterns, financial resources, and willingness to spend "unnecessary" money, in part. But the OP asked a simple question to which AC membership is irrelevant.

Somebody needs a vacation.

Last edited by jcatman; Aug 17, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As an EXP flying Transcon J in a 3 class flight will give you access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK, and the Qantas F Lounge at LAX before connecting to HNL. Not knowing what time your return flight departs and your connecting JFK flight departs from LAX, I can't comment on access to lounges in HNL, however, once again, you should have access to the QF First lounge at LAX (once again, due to the 3 class J as an EXP).

Not sure I would buy an AC membership if you're not a frequent flyer though.
Thanks so much! That makes sense.

I am a very frequent flyer--not just as in "I am an EXP!" but also in the sense that I do fly a lot. But, since I primarily travel internationally, I usually get access to Flagship Lounges/Dining and the question of lounge/AC access (which is only relevant for domestic travel in my case) thus almost never comes up. Thanks, again, for the useful tip about the Qantas F Lounge!!!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ashill

Thanks for your support, ashill!!! You know, people have different senses of humor, so I decided to interpret the somewhat off-beat suggestion to purchase an AC membership as a funny comment. In any case, I got advice from somebody else about using non-AA F lounges, so my problem has been solved. Thanks, again, ashill ...and everyone else!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:52 am
RJ1

In a separate thread, I posed a question if I could access the lounge on this upcoming trip: nonstop LAX-MIA, paid first (D Class), 2 class 32B aircraft.

There were some conflicting replies, so I checked with AA to be sure. Looks like I will have access.

Here is the reply (bolding mine):

Hello Mr. Flyertalker,

Thank you for contacting Admirals Clubs Member Services. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

The Admirals Club® is intended for the comfort and convenience of Admirals Club Members and their guests. However, we do have exceptions to this admission policy. Passengers who are traveling on an American Airlines First or Business Class ticket whose itinerary includes a nonstop international routing or destination on American Airlines that is outside of the North American region, or select nonstop transcontinental flights traveling in First Class (two or three cabins) and Business Class (three cabins only) may enter the lounge. Eligible transcontinental flights are defined as American Airlines-marketed and operated non-stop flights between the following cities:

• New York (JFK)/ San Francisco
• Miami / Los Angeles
• New York (JFK) / Los Angeles

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,

Admirals Club Member Services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.