Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Are you flying an AA codeshare on BA metal? Or an AA domestic?

If it's BA metal and you're OW Sapphire or Emerald, you can access.

If AA domestic, I don't think so.
Domestic, AA metal.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
That is correct; no AA contract lounge, as AA has no longhaul international qualifying flights out of LAS. So OWE are affected in this way.
Interesting, that's the first time I noticed such a distinction. So generally on domestic AA flights there is lounge access for OWS/OWE, but only if the airport has a OW operated lounge?
I'm not really disappointed as it isn't much of an issue but rather surprised, just didn't expected such a dead spot at an an airport of that size.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by makrom
So generally on domestic AA flights there is lounge access for OWS/OWE, but only if the airport has a OW operated lounge?
No, there's no access on domestic AA flights for AA flyers unless you have an Admiral's Club membership.

For OWS/OWE flying AA domestic, yes. (BA, etc.) Not for AA Elites.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm looking at a flight SEA-PHX-STL. It's the same flight number, though, not two different flight #s . I will be crediting to AS. Do I get the total miles SEA-PHX-STL or the point-to-point distance SEA-STL? Thanks.
Since no one seems to know the answer to this let me try a different question: I booked a flight using a discount certificate (19 digits + pin) -- but AA charged my credit card the full price without applying the discount.

What do you advise?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EP
Call res. They will probably send u to web services.

I had had forgotten to add a voucher once. But I called before the ticket issued and they were able to stop the ticketing and apply the voucher.

For some one reason I think AA is going to tell u tough. U should have looked at any error message or seen the breakdown of payments before submit.

Since no one seems to know the answer to this let me try a different question: I booked a flight using a discount certificate (19 digits + pin) -- but AA charged my credit card the full price without applying the discount.

What do you advise?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:44 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
...seen the breakdown of payments before submit.
I did. And it was correctly applied on that screen.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EP
Then u need to call res and probably Web services. They should be able to see what the form of payments correctly entered were.

I did. And it was correctly applied on that screen.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:37 pm

Thank you.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
No, there's no access on domestic AA flights for AA flyers unless you have an Admiral's Club membership.

For OWS/OWE flying AA domestic, yes. (BA, etc.) Not for AA Elites.
Just so I understand your contradiction correctly, the part that OWS/OWE get lounge access on domestic AA flights was correct, but only as long as it isn't an AA status?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Just so I understand your contradiction correctly, the part that OWS/OWE get lounge access on domestic AA flights was correct, but only as long as it isn't an AA status?
That's correct.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Most airlines offer lounge access by status or / and class of service. AA offers lounge access for fee for service or annual fee. Somehow, that translates into oneworld Emerald and Sapphire other than AA get access on AA domestic / shorthaul flights.

From the oneworld lounge access page (link):

"The following exceptions apply:

1 American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
2 American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
3 Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
4 Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH) and Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) are excluded."
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I'm looking at a flight SEA-PHX-STL. It's the same flight number, though, not two different flight #s . I will be crediting to AS. Do I get the total miles SEA-PHX-STL or the point-to-point distance SEA-STL? Thanks.
I guess the reason no one has answered this is because none of us AA frequent flyers know the rules of the AS frequent flyer programme

Probably you should find the information yourself on the AS web site, or ask in the AS form

(My guess is that you will get only the point to point distance)
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:32 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I am trying to use the residual value of a ticket I had to cancel and can't find out how to do it on line. Can someone walk me thru it? I have the original 001- ticket number.
Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:56 am
Suspended

Smile

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I am trying to use the residual value of a ticket I had to cancel and can't find out how to do it on line. Can someone walk me thru it? I have the original 001- ticket number.
Thanks
Can't be done on-line to my knowledge.

And, just wanted to say HELLO from the Continental days!!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm not new, just perhaps really dense, with this basic question:

I booked a ticket (regular coach) a few months ago, cancelled the ticket before the trip and still have the confirmation code. When I look up my reservations on AA.com, it shows the trip as "Cancelled", but states that the reservation cannot be located and will be removed from the list.

Can't I apply the value of a cancelled ticket (upon payment of the $200 change fee) to a new ticket? Can that be done online, or do I have to call AA? I am Platinum, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.