Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I am after some advice, please

My wife and I will be flying back to LHR next June, and were wondering which would be the best AA equipment to be on. We will be in J.

I've had a look at the wiki on TATL equipment for S18, and the choices that suit us on AA are: 77W from DFW, 788 from ORD, or A333 from PHL

Are any of these particularly good or bad? getting a good nights sleep would be the most important factor.

Thank you
The 77W is the best although all offer fully lie flat seats with direct aisle access from every seat.

Where are you starting from? The connecting flight should also play into the decision...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My preference in order would be 77W, A330, then 787 but all are good options. I would be more concerned with total travel time and ease of connections.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
My wife and I will be flying back to LHR next June, and were wondering which would be the best AA equipment to be on. We will be in J.

I've had a look at the wiki on TATL equipment for S18, and the choices that suit us on AA are: 77W from DFW, 788 from ORD, or A333 from PHL
A plus for the 788 is the higher air pressure and humidity, which should leave you feeling better. A minus is the coupled seats if you make the wrong choice, there is a thread about this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The 77W is the best although all offer fully lie flat seats with direct aisle access from every seat.

Where are you starting from? The connecting flight should also play into the decision...
We will be in LAS the night before.

The PHL flight probably works best in terms of connection times- no need to be up at the crack of dawn- so we may well take that one, as the other posters suggest that the A333 will be fine.

Thank you MADPhil & wrp96 also
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
We will be in LAS the night before.

The PHL flight probably works best in terms of connection times- no need to be up at the crack of dawn- so we may well take that one, as the other posters suggest that the A333 will be fine.

Thank you MADPhil & wrp96 also
The 333 is certainly ok, it's basically the same seat as the 77W, but with a slightly more dated fit and finish.

However, coming from LAS, I would never do the PHL connection, as your LAS-PHL flight will be 4-5 hours in a legacy US 321, which is total crap up front in F. You're much better off taking the quicker hop to DFW (on a nicer legacy AA 321 or 738) and then spend the longest portion of your trip in the nicest 77W J product.

AA has multiple DFW-LHR flights into the evening on the 77W (and 772, depending on season), so you should have options to leave LAS later in the day.

Another option, which would be my #1 pick in this scenario, is to connect in LAX. Shortest flight in domestic F, longest flight in 77W or 772 J, and the nicest lounges.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:50 am

Hope someone can help. I have two 500 dollar vouchers I received for a delayed flight from Europe last year. I am hoping to use them for myself and my wife on a return flight back to the states. As I live in Ireland the first leg of the journey is always on a flight operated by ba and the rest by AA. Will it be feasible to use the voucher for such an itinerary or will I have to book the Ireland to Heathrow and Heathrow back to Ireland separately so that all the flights are on AA. thanks in advance
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rufusrea
Hope someone can help. I have two 500 dollar vouchers I received for a delayed flight from Europe last year. I am hoping to use them for myself and my wife on a return flight back to the states. As I live in Ireland the first leg of the journey is always on a flight operated by ba and the rest by AA. Will it be feasible to use the voucher for such an itinerary or will I have to book the Ireland to Heathrow and Heathrow back to Ireland separately so that all the flights are on AA. thanks in advance
I'm not that familiar with the requirements imposed on vouchers, but the existing thread (start with the Wikipost at the top of the page) might be useful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
rufusrea likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rufusrea
If it helps, I had two paper vouchers in UK sterling. I found the flights I wanted reserved them on line for 24 hours then called the AA UK number (found on the AA website). The advisor took my credit card details and asked me to post the vouchers to an address in Liverpool and the flights were put on hold. Within a couple of days the flights were confirmed minus the value of the voucher. Job done.

Rather than flying from Belfast could you not try Dub? It usually works out cheaper even though you may still end up going through Lhr.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:22 am

If my 500-mile upgrade from economy into (Flagship) business clears on a 3-cabin JFK-LAX flight, do I get lounge access? Do I get *Flagship* lounge access?

Probably not relevant, but I have Gold status.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Look like i'm doing a 12500 EQM, 2000 EQD challenge for Platinum 17 SEP - 31 DEC. I'm nominally based in SEA and would like to meet the challenge as inexpensively as possible (AS is my primary program and I'm already flying DE for AS in September) -- it looks to me like flying 1 discounted business or very long mid-tier econ flight to somewhere in Asia (e.g. SEA-NRT-BKK r/t) in OCT/NOV/DEC meets EQD (converted) and is close on the miles.

Are there any tips? I looked at the mileage charts and I'm likely to fly JL or CX.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Yes, you'll get Flagship Lounge access at JFK.

Details on AA.com

You'll get regular Admirals Club access at LAX.
Originally Posted by williamsmj
If my 500-mile upgrade from economy into (Flagship) business clears on a 3-cabin JFK-LAX flight, do I get lounge access? Do I get *Flagship* lounge access?

Probably not relevant, but I have Gold status.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The 333 is certainly ok, it's basically the same seat as the 77W, but with a slightly more dated fit and finish.

However, coming from LAS, I would never do the PHL connection, as your LAS-PHL flight will be 4-5 hours in a legacy US 321, which is total crap up front in F. You're much better off taking the quicker hop to DFW (on a nicer legacy AA 321 or 738) and then spend the longest portion of your trip in the nicest 77W J product.

AA has multiple DFW-LHR flights into the evening on the 77W (and 772, depending on season), so you should have options to leave LAS later in the day.

Another option, which would be my #1 pick in this scenario, is to connect in LAX. Shortest flight in domestic F, longest flight in 77W or 772 J, and the nicest lounges.
Thank you for the info on the LAS-PHL metal!

DFW it is then- the flight times are more conducive to a relaxing last morning in LAS......
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Look like i'm doing a 12500 EQM, 2000 EQD challenge for Platinum 17 SEP - 31 DEC. I'm nominally based in SEA and would like to meet the challenge as inexpensively as possible (AS is my primary program and I'm already flying DE for AS in September) -- it looks to me like flying 1 discounted business or very long mid-tier econ flight to somewhere in Asia (e.g. SEA-NRT-BKK r/t) in OCT/NOV/DEC meets EQD (converted) and is close on the miles.

Are there any tips? I looked at the mileage charts and I'm likely to fly JL or CX.
Check the fine print first; I seem to recall that a zillion (well, five) years ago when I challenged for PLT the flights had to be AA-marketed to count (and that was before the days of EQD).

ETA: whoops, looks like BA, IB, JL, and AY flight numbers also count these days, though with EQMs cut in half for even slightly discounted economy on any of them and brutally low EQD conversion factors, they're unlikely to get you through the challenge for less than $2,000 out of pocket. Not inconceivable, though, so if anyone can find such a routing I will happily eat my words.

Last edited by NavSTL; Sep 1, 2017 at 5:25 pm Reason: Correction
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu

JL will work, CX will not. Acceptable flights are those marketed by AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, QF. AA operated by anyone, of course. (These are all AA Joint Business partners.)

See the Wikipost in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html before you do anything.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Quick question, I just got bumped to PLT through my work travel manager, but the status expires in January, and I think I will be lucky to hit GLD through organic flying this year. My question is, does AA still have a soft landing policy, where since I won't re-qualify for PLT status I would keep GLD next year? Even if I don't hit the requirements for GLD?

Just trying to see if I'll need to go out of my way to hit the EQSs or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.