Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would not get my hopes up. You'll have plenty of status passengers ahead of you.
Only those status passengers who have requested SWU or miles+copay upgrades, which could be few to zero on this route.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by j25borg
What do you think the chances are of 2 EXP SWUs clearing to C on this are? We've been on the waitlist for 8 months when the bus cabin was empty! They've never released any C or even I inventory and certainly no U. They've basically made these impossible to use on anything worthwhile. SWUs seem to be a trap to get you to buy wothless coach tickets. I guess the CEO meant what he said in the earnings conference call about not allowing elite upgrades and saver awards to favor the bottom line. This is definitely an airline not with having loyalty to anymore.

AA 18 0 SFO
08/31/17 10:30 PM JFK
09/01/17 7:04 AM 32B
Daily
F7 A1 J6 D4 I0 Y5 B0 H2 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0
Data Point: Flew AA 018 on JUL 31 and was upgraded 2 days out on complimentary upgrades. Granted it was a Monday Red-Eye Flight; Thursdays & Fridays are always especially hard on Flight AA 020, 276, 018.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Gold upgrades are supposed to begin clearing at T-24 for each individual flight, correct?

I've had a few situations over the past few weeks, including today, where the upgrade for the second leg cleared exactly 24 hours prior to the first leg's departure. When that happened today, I was the only passenger in the F cabin until T-24 for the second leg, at which point a couple more passengers were UG'd.

Not complaining, just curious
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD cleared for Monday morning at T-100.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Could not find a PLT Pro thread (point me to it if one exists)

Question is for those PPs, qualifying this year - how are you doing on upgrades & what routes.

Coworker and I are traveling to SFO from DCA in a week. I'm thru DFW and as EXP think I'll score upgrades as usual but the DFW-SFO has been dicey for me in the past.

He's routing direct thru CLT early in the AM just made PP with $10.1k YTD, no idea how much last year. I checked EF for him - shows J7 and the map has 9 of 16 unassigned. Its a 738. I rarely go thru CLT but I think he's got a decent chance.

Don't know how EXP-dense CLT is for early-in-the week transcon flight like this. Any recent observations on PP upgrades in general and more particularly for a PP departing CLT that would probably be middle of the PP pack for the 12-month rolling $$. THX
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AATrout
Could not find a PLT Pro thread (point me to it if one exists)

Question is for those PPs, qualifying this year - how are you doing on upgrades & what routes.

Coworker and I are traveling to SFO from DCA in a week. I'm thru DFW and as EXP think I'll score upgrades as usual but the DFW-SFO has been dicey for me in the past.

He's routing direct thru CLT early in the AM just made PP with $10.1k YTD, no idea how much last year. I checked EF for him - shows J7 and the map has 9 of 16 unassigned. Its a 738. I rarely go thru CLT but I think he's got a decent chance.

Don't know how EXP-dense CLT is for early-in-the week transcon flight like this. Any recent observations on PP upgrades in general and more particularly for a PP departing CLT that would probably be middle of the PP pack for the 12-month rolling $$. THX
Plat Pro thread.

Suggestion: Since the results of a FlyerTalk search are listed in the order of last post date, apparently, less-used forums like that are difficult to find. But if you use Google search and specify the site, the forum you seek is much easier to spot. Google '"platinum pro" site:flyertalk.com' and the first hit is it.

That said, you might find this particular question is better answered here than there. Not sure.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
SWU availability TATL Christmas week

Planning trip with kids and was shocked to see upgrade availability at booking from JFK to LHR. Considering last time I did this it cleared 72 hours in advance.

Cleared at booking for 12/28 outbound, 1/4 return, JFK-LHR. And looking at Expert Flyer there was quite a bit of inventory on other flights in that general timeframe too.

Just surprised to see it four months out for once....
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by badkneeski
Planning trip with kids and was shocked to see upgrade availability at booking from JFK to LHR. Considering last time I did this it cleared 72 hours in advance.

Cleared at booking for 12/28 outbound, 1/4 return, JFK-LHR. And looking at Expert Flyer there was quite a bit of inventory on other flights in that general timeframe too.

Just surprised to see it four months out for once....
Indeed. I cleared some JFK-LHR and LHR-DFW legs in late Nov and early Dec, too.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by AATrout
As someone who goes through CLT on every trip, I can tell you that it is extremely EXP heavy (due to all of the exUS CP's). Unfortunately the upgrade chances are probably low for your co-worker.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:34 am

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before. I will be losing status next year and am wondering if I will be eligible to use mileage upgrades (15,000 +$75)when trying to upgrade from economy to business/first class on domestic flights. If so, what is the order of priority for my scenario?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, Asiana Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Does anybody know how much a Cash Upgrade is at the airport for ZRH -JFK from Y --> C?
Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WindyCityBrother
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before. I will be losing status next year and am wondering if I will be eligible to use mileage upgrades (15,000 +$75)when trying to upgrade from economy to business/first class on domestic flights. If so, what is the order of priority for my scenario?

Thanks in advance.
Yep, you don't need status to upgrade with miles/copay. The upgrade waitlist is sorted by status and then 12 mo. rolling EQD within each status level. So without status you'll be in the back of the queue, although depending on the flight your chances still can be good.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:25 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, you don't need status to upgrade with miles/copay. The upgrade waitlist is sorted by status and then 12 mo. rolling EQD within each status level. So without status you'll be in the back of the queue, although depending on the flight your chances still can be good.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Looked a ways back and couldn't find an answer... have upgrades switched from booking date to EQDs in the last 12 months? Last night on SAN to PHX I missed my first upgrade and was 8 on the list. Figured it was because I booked last week. I have a hard time believing there were 7 EXPs with more spend than me knowing what mine is.
Has anyone else noticed that Expert Flyer now more closely matches availability. It used to be that you might see J0 but then there would be 4-5 open seats on the F seat map. It was AA holding back some seats due to oversales or IRROPs. Lately, I have noticed that if it says J0 and there are a few open seats up front; those get assigned day of departure. Is AA no longer holding back as many seats and are that many people really not making seat assignments up front?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Uzzar
As someone who goes through CLT on every trip, I can tell you that it is extremely EXP heavy (due to all of the exUS CP's). Unfortunately the upgrade chances are probably low for your co-worker.
Legacy US had many low-yield CPs so in the long term I doubt most will be able to keep up with the new dollar requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.