Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Need to choose between Iberia A340-500 from MAD to LAX or AA 767 from ZRH to JFK. Oops, sorry mean 767-300

Which is the safer aircraft?

Which is the better seat and service?

If one vote for each one, which is the best overall?

Thanks

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 12, 2017 at 7:34 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: AOPA
Both aircraft are safe, if it makes you feel more comfortable, a340 has 4 engines instead of two on the 763.

IB has the 180 flat bed, aa might depending on which 763. As for service go with IB. The lounge at MAD nice.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:18 am
Original Poster

sorry a bit confused. one site shows the 2x2x2 configuration and another shows 1-2-1

This is for IBeria flight 6171 for MAD to LAX in the summer 2016. Is it a 180 flat bed with 1-2-1 configuration?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by metoo
sorry a bit confused. one site shows the 2x2x2 configuration and another shows 1-2-1

This is for IBeria flight 6171 for MAD to LAX in the summer 2016. Is it a 180 flat bed with 1-2-1 configuration?

If it is coded as 340-500 then it should be updated 1-2-1, see wiki in the below link.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...lidated-8.html
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Need to choose between Iberia A340-500 from MAD to LAX or AA 767 from ZRH to JFK. Oops, sorry mean 767-300

Thanks
If I'm not mistaken IB doesn't have the A340-500 but rather the A340-600.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
If I'm not mistaken IB doesn't have the A340-500 but rather the A340-600.
It is the a346 but in their system it is coded as a340-500
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I recommend that you take IB direct flight to LAX @:-)
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I fly IB biz from JFK to MAD. It was quite nice. It's unlike economy IB, where the FA are non-existent. The FAs in biz are attentive, speak great English and are pretty cheerful.

The movie selection is the same as Y, but the food is decent (usually a decent fish fish vs something else that I never take). The amenity kit is pretty basic.

Both have lie flat. I found the area you place your feet on IB a tad tight, if you have feet that flare out when sleeping on your back. But otherwise I'd recommend IB. Never flew biz on an AA 763, but having a Samsung tablet as your IFE vs a fairly large lcd would be the decision point for me given all else equal.

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
I should also mention the flight I fly is also the a346 not the a333 which also serves JFK-MAD.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:49 pm

IB better than AA for award ticket first class?

Thinking of MAD-MIA RT using AA frequent flyer miles. Is Iberia First Class or Business Class hardproduct better than AA? Thanks. Or is BA hardproduct going through LHR to Europe considered better than AA/IB? Any recommendations for getting to/from Europe to/from USA on first class using award ticket?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by oaken
Thinking of MAD-MIA RT using AA frequent flyer miles. Is Iberia First Class or Business Class hardproduct better than AA? Thanks. Or is BA hardproduct going through LHR to Europe considered better than AA/IB? Any recommendations for getting to/from Europe to/from USA on first class using award ticket?
Iberia does not offer first class across the Atlantic, just business.

Using BA through LHR will expose you to fuel surcharges that can run into the hundreds of dollars.

I think if I could find IB seats in nonstop business class I would take them. AA would be fine as well. There are few hard products I would consider worth a few hours diversion away from being a nonstop. None of the OW airlines come to mind as one worth the bother.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by oaken
Two words, fuel surcharge.
I can't speak of Iberia,but I think they charge a fuel surcharge. BA definitely does, and for FC it is a bunch. AA will not hit you with a fuel surcharge
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
Two words, fuel surcharge.
I can't speak of Iberia,but I think they charge a fuel surcharge. BA definitely does, and for FC it is a bunch. AA will not hit you with a fuel surcharge
Iberia's fuel surcharge is pretty small. BA's is not.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:26 pm

Thanks, guys.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The magnitude of BA's surcharge does vary greatly depending on the journey origin. One way from MAD-USA , the BA surcharge is $186.50 in business class, so not nearly as bad as an ex US surcharge ( which would be $428 )

The IB surcharge will be lower - around $60 iirc

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.