Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Only ever flown IB to MIA but I can say both are 2-3-2. The hard product is decent enough for me to call equivalent. I'd give food and wine a slight edge to IB (unless you really care about ice cream) and IFE with a definite win for AA. Personally, I'd just go on cost/schedule and leave it at that, both are pretty good (though do note I speak Spanish so can't comment on English abilities of IB crews which can sometimes be iffy)
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ecm
Premium Econ AA vs IB TATL

Has anybody experienced both and can provide some pros and cons of AA vs IB, particularly on the hard product? For example, I've read that the AA premium econ bulkhead is actually quite small leg wise? And that AA has four across in the middle?
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Only ever flown IB to MIA but I can say both are 2-3-2. The hard product is decent enough for me to call equivalent. I'd give food and wine a slight edge to IB (unless you really care about ice cream) and IFE with a definite win for AA. Personally, I'd just go on cost/schedule and leave it at that, both are pretty good (though do note I speak Spanish so can't comment on English abilities of IB crews which can sometimes be iffy)
Well the layout will depend entirely on the aircraft. On the AA 772's that serve MAD, Premium Econ is in a 2-4-2 layout. IB uses A330's and A340's with a narrower fuselage than the 777, so it's 2-3-2 in PE.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Fair enough, I've only done AA premium economy on 330 and 787. Both were pretty good.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ecm
Premium Econ AA vs IB TATL

Has anybody experienced both and can provide some pros and cons of AA vs IB, particularly on the hard product? For example, I've read that the AA premium econ bulkhead is actually quite small leg wise? And that AA has four across in the middle?

Also, any disadvantages to flying AA in prem econ out of MAD instead of IB pre econ, for example? And any way to improve the immigration experience at MIA (i.e., do they both go to the same immigration or is one better positioned vs the other)?

Trying to make up my mind on whether we (2 adults, 2 kids) do all AA, all IB or a one of each.

Much appreciated!
Don't fall into the "European airlines are better" trap; I would consider Iberia to be a budget airline before an European airline.

In my opinion, Iberia is not worth the risk. Maybe their cabin will be a reasonable temperature, maybe it won't. If you're sweating bullets and surrounded by body odors, that extra inch of seat space (if it even exists) won't be worth it. I know you asked about the hard product, but in my opinion the biggest trade-off (aside from cabin temperatures) is food/wine (Iberia vastly superior) vs. IFE (American vastly superior).

It's also worth noting that every facet of the Iberia experience is chaotic; you will have a hard time relaxing. Say what you will about AA, but at least they usually know what they're doing.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
It's also worth noting that every facet of the Iberia experience is chaotic; you will have a hard time relaxing. Say what you will about AA, but at least they usually know what they're doing.
That is not my experience.
I have flown IB or AA transatlantic about 6 to 8 times each year, for the past several years, and have found the experience on both to be pleasant and broadly similar. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never had a "chaotic experience" on IB, and their staff all seem to know what they are/should be doing!
I would choose either, depending on price and/or schedule.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Have an upcoming trip, PHL->MAD on AA, and return on Iberia MAD->JFK. Booked roundtrip $800 in PE. Curious to see how they fully compare.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by adunker
Have an upcoming trip, PHL->MAD on AA, and return on Iberia MAD->JFK. Booked roundtrip $800 in PE. Curious to see how they fully compare.
adunker how did they compare? I'm contemplating a similar trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.